Just picked up my new Harley

03'Darin

Established Member
Well first off I'll start with the old bike. I have a 99' Road King Classic with 20,000 miles that has the Harley big bore kit, cams, ported heads, V&H slip on exhaust and complete LED light conversion plus all kinds of extras. He's the bike that's being replaced. (BTW its for sale if anyone is interested)

C37602D1-291E-40C9-8CB9-0BCC64D23945_zpsmlb3idwo.jpg

So i've been drooling over the Street Glides now for about 4 or 5 years. Well about 2 weeks ago on one of the few sunny days we've had this year my buddy that has a street glide stops in here at work. As I was drooling on that I told him he was going to end up costing me money because sooner or later I was going to succumb and buy a new one. So that day I jump on ebay looking for a deal on a used one when I come across this awesome looking Amber Whiskey 14' with 3,800 miles on it. Long story short I started researching everything that was done to the new all new 14' Street Glide and discovered they have two versions. The Street Glide and Street Glide Special. The used one wasn't the special. The SGS has a ton more features for not a big price difference. Anyway once the dust settled I bought a brand new Street Glide Special in the Amber Whiskey and had the dealer install the Rinehart Racing slip ons before delivery. I just picked the bike up this morning and enjoyed every minute of the 130 mile ride home. Bike has the Infotainment system with touch screen, Bluetooth, USB port, ABS, Cruise, Automatic Security System (arms when you get 15' away from the bike with the remote) and Boom Audio. The 103 CI motor mated to the 6 speed is just awesome. Tranny shifts great with the new hydraulic clutch and the gears are spaced nicely so transition from gear to gear seems to be about the right rpm drop. Anyway here's the new one!

4E5EC219-8E47-49F6-94FA-B9474BA1D1EB_zps1muotnjy.jpg

I know Harleys aren't for everyone and that most of the items I listed above have been on almost every other brand of bike for many years already. But growing up my grandparents and uncle were die hard Harley Riders so naturally growing up on them I became attached to the sound. My uncle used to say "we rode Harleys before it was "cool" to ride Harleys". In fact I bought and still have the 66' Electra glide of my grandpartents that was the first street bike I ever rode on.

03'Darin

Established Member
Beautiful! Don't have a bike myself but i do like the SG.

Thanks! As I said I've been drooling over the Street Glides now for several years. When I saw the new Amber Whiskey color and then read about everything that has changed for 14' it pushed me over the edge. So far I've only ridden it 130 miles but right now I'm wondering why I waited so long to do this. lol

03'Darin

Established Member
Nice!! I wish I could talk my wife into one lol

Yeah it's weird how different woman's views are on motorcycles. Most women I know or run across generally seem to love it. But I have a few guys here at work that their wives won't let them get near a bike.

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Damn now thats a sweet bike. Nice snag! I have a buddy who just picked one of these up in all black and I cant stop drooling over it every time I see it haha

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Yeah it's weird how different woman's views are on motorcycles. Most women I know or run across generally seem to love it. But I have a few guys here at work that their wives won't let them get near a bike.

lol ya. Mine is ok with dirt bikes since I have had them forever, but put it on a street and forget about it lol.

03'Darin

Established Member
lol ya. Mine is ok with dirt bikes since I have had them forever, but put it on a street and forget about it lol.

Hell dirt can be more dangerous that the street. Some of the stuff we used to do in the dirt was pretty crazy.

Gorgeous bike. Congrats!

Thanks!! Can't wait to get out and put some miles on it.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Well first off I'll start with the old bike. I have a 99' Road King Classic with 20,000 miles that has the Harley big bore kit, cams, ported heads, V&H slip on exhaust and complete LED light conversion plus all kinds of extras. He's the bike that's being replaced. (BTW its for sale if anyone is interested)

C37602D1-291E-40C9-8CB9-0BCC64D23945_zpsmlb3idwo.jpg

So i've been drooling over the Street Glides now for about 4 or 5 years. Well about 2 weeks ago on one of the few sunny days we've had this year my buddy that has a street glide stops in here at work. As I was drooling on that I told him he was going to end up costing me money because sooner or later I was going to succumb and buy a new one. So that day I jump on ebay looking for a deal on a used one when I come across this awesome looking Amber Whiskey 14' with 3,800 miles on it. Long story short I started researching everything that was done to the new all new 14' Street Glide and discovered they have two versions. The Street Glide and Street Glide Special. The used one wasn't the special. The SGS has a ton more features for not a big price difference. Anyway once the dust settled I bought a brand new Street Glide Special in the Amber Whiskey and had the dealer install the Rinehart Racing slip ons before delivery. I just picked the bike up this morning and enjoyed every minute of the 130 mile ride home. Bike has the Infotainment system with touch screen, Bluetooth, USB port, ABS, Cruise, Automatic Security System (arms when you get 15' away from the bike with the remote) and Boom Audio. The 103 CI motor mated to the 6 speed is just awesome. Tranny shifts great with the new hydraulic clutch and the gears are spaced nicely so transition from gear to gear seems to be about the right rpm drop. Anyway here's the new one!

4E5EC219-8E47-49F6-94FA-B9474BA1D1EB_zps1muotnjy.jpg

I know Harleys aren't for everyone and that most of the items I listed above have been on almost every other brand of bike for many years already. But growing up my grandparents and uncle were die hard Harley Riders so naturally growing up on them I became attached to the sound. My uncle used to say "we rode Harleys before it was "cool" to ride Harleys". In fact I bought and still have the 66' Electra glide of my grandpartents that was the first street bike I ever rode on.

very nice! street glide fever is a bitch! haha

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Awesome bike! My dad bought his last new harley in 1998(He doesn't ride anymore due to age) and its amazing how far and improvement the harley has came in the past dozen years or so.

ShelbyAc

The Real Minority
Established Member
I bought a SGS (Amber Whiskey) in February. It's the best riding HD I've had. And I also added the 4" Rineharts slip-ons. I'm 6'4", and the short windscreen and wing vent didn't deflect enough wind at speed, so I put on a taller windscreen, 10 inch mini-apes, and mounted mirrors on the underneath of the handlebars. This should be my last bike. But I said that when I bought the Rocket III, the Valkyrie, the Vulcan, the CB650, etc. etc.

Enjoy!

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Looks good, not sure how crazy I am on the new touch screen setup. Don't like the new front wheels, making it harder to change up the look of one without going crazy.

SHOdown220

Established Member
My dad bought a new 13 model street glide right before they introduced the 14 sgs and has been thinking about trading ever since lol. Sweet bikes though for sure

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Amazing the difference between the two bikes - Beautiful bike and great color choice - BE SAFE and enjoy

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
That is a gorgeous bike. That Amber Whiskey color is the coolest color I have seen in a long time, it is just awesome!

Blackness03

Established Member
Man I was in the same boat. Rented a street glide about 2 years ago and fell in love with it. Wanted one ever since that day. Traded my hayabusa in on a 2011 with 1400 miles about a month ago. Wanted to get a new one like yours but couldn't pass up the deal. You plan on doing anything to it? I just put some 13inch bars on mine. Rides even better. I can't get enough of riding it. lol. I love the bigger front wheel they put on the 14s too. Nice man.

03'Darin

Established Member
I bought a SGS (Amber Whiskey) in February. It's the best riding HD I've had. And I also added the 4" Rineharts slip-ons. I'm 6'4", and the short windscreen and wing vent didn't deflect enough wind at speed, so I put on a taller windscreen, 10 inch mini-apes, and mounted mirrors on the underneath of the handlebars. This should be my last bike. But I said that when I bought the Rocket III, the Valkyrie, the Vulcan, the CB650, etc. etc.

Enjoy!

I've always loved the sound of the Rinehart exhaust and had my mind made up the next bike I bought I'd put those on. To me they have the "flowmaster" type of sound for a Harley. Deep and throaty but not overly loud. They are nice and mellow cruising up the highway at 70 but have some bark when you het on them.

Once I got serious about buying one I did a ton of research about the bikes. Everyone that had one pretty much said the stock windshield still causes a lot of head buffeting even with the new fairing vent. I had a 6 1/2" shield sitting at home waiting to go on as soon as the bike got there. I put that and the Harley fairing bag on first thing this morning before I left for work, on the bike. : )

Funny thing is on my way to work this morning, which I took the long way, I thought for a second man I could own this bike til I die. But only for a second.

Looks good, not sure how crazy I am on the new touch screen setup. Don't like the new front wheels, making it harder to change up the look of one without going crazy.

I read a bunch of stuff about the nav and touch screen that people didn't like. I had about 100 miles of turnpike on my way home with is yesterday so I played with all of the features. It's actually pretty easy to navigate through the infotainment system with the two thumb position joy sticks. The nav isn't nearly as elaborate as our current Ford stuff is but it will do.

I actually like the look of the new wheels on the bike. That's something I'll probably leave the way it is.

My dad bought a new 13 model street glide right before they introduced the 14 sgs and has been thinking about trading ever since lol. Sweet bikes though for sure

I've never ridden the earlier one's so I can't really comment on how much different they are. But I can say from the reading I did the people that have owned both say the 14' is quite a bit different. I'm sure with the new frame, bigger front forks, wind tunnel designed fairing and bags plus the small things like the new bag latches and hydraulic clutch would all add up to a significant difference over the 13'.

Amazing the difference between the two bikes - Beautiful bike and great color choice - BE SAFE and enjoy

Thanks! Seeing the Amber Whiskey color put me over the edge with buying one.

That is a gorgeous bike. That Amber Whiskey color is the coolest color I have seen in a long time, it is just awesome!

It's a candy color and really pops in the sun. I love it!

Man I was in the same boat. Rented a street glide about 2 years ago and fell in love with it. Wanted one ever since that day. Traded my hayabusa in on a 2011 with 1400 miles about a month ago. Wanted to get a new one like yours but couldn't pass up the deal. You plan on doing anything to it? I just put some 13inch bars on mine. Rides even better. I can't get enough of riding it. lol. I love the bigger front wheel they put on the 14s too. Nice man.

My only plans yet are the Harley fangs (small wind deflector that mounts right by the front turn signals), detachable back rest and luggage rack. All for long distance trips of course.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I actually like the look of the new wheels on the bike. That's something I'll probably leave the way it is.

I do too, but that's what part of me doesn't like it as much. It's got the same front wheel as everybody else. Hd seems to take notice of what the customers want, but at the same time it makes it harder to stand out from the crowd. But awesome bike, I unloaded at a place that somebody had a new cream/sand colored one. Makes it hard to walk past one.

Users who are viewing this thread