Just picked up one of my favorite Cobra's.... Teal 1993'

coposrv

Established Member
What’s wrong with just a little boost and leaving it otherwise stock? Even just 400hp from an old school v1 s trim. It would be period correct and can easily be taken back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03'Darin

Established Member
I'm just not going to drive the car that much so I don't see any need in modding it.

I have a 97' Cobra that's got some mild suspension work, gears and exhaust. I've got 150k miles on that car. So I've driven this car a fair amount.

My 03' Cobra only has 15,000 miles. 506 hp at the wheels

I've got almost 30k miles on my 17' Raptor. It's tuned

So I'm half and half with modding. I like the idea of the 93' being a stock survivor so I plan on keeping it that way.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Smart man, definitely keep that one STOCK!
It's amazing how the second owner of my car kept all original parts.
I had never seen an air box silencer before!
-J

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
You're right about the drive of these cars stock. They were OK for their day but defiantely nothing special in todays world. Back in the early 2000's I traded an 93' Black Cobra in from a guy. Had just about every Ford Motorsport part you could put on it including a super charger. Car had 17,000 miles on it. We traded it pretty cheap. I had planned on buy that car...... until I drove it for 2 days. It drove so crappy compared to the newer Mustang I didn't buy it.
I pulled the original motor from mine and put in a different. It's stupid crazy to drive now and will hang with a lot of stuff out there. I have all the original pieces in case I want to change it back one day.

The fact it's bone stock is what's so appealing to me actually. I love the nastalgia of the car and the fact it's a stock survivor. My 03' Cobra has 600 hp so when I want to drive fast I'll drive that one. I'm leaving the 93' just the way it is.
Aside from my post above, I kinda wish I left mine completely stock, which it was when I bought it. I too have an 03 Cobra and soon to have a gt500, so I could have left the 93 alone

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
I pulled the original motor from mine and put in a different. It's stupid crazy to drive now and will hang with a lot of stuff out there. I have all the original pieces in case I want to change it back one day.

Aside from my post above, I kinda wish I left mine completektnstock, which it was when I bought it. I too have an 03 Cobra and soon to have a gt500, so I could have left the 93 alone

Great stable of cars there!

I used to race SCCA years ago. Ran a 90' LX 5.0 with all the GT40 stuff. Did that for about 10 years. Then did some open track instructing for a few years before i got back in to road racing again. I am currently racing a series called AER. It's endurance road racing. Typical race weekend schedule is 9 hour races saturday and sunday. We usually have 4 drivers. We're running an 87' Cougar with 2015 Mustang Gt running gear. So essentially a Fox body mustang with slightly longer wheel base. So I get my speed fix in many ways. That's why I'm good with the 93' staying stock.

Oh yeah I also have an old SCCA AS 88' Fox body road course car with a mild built 351. That car weighs 3,000 #'s and is 425/425 at the motor.

03'Darin

Established Member
93'trunk.JPG

Spent some time detailing the interior yesterday. Pulled the trunk apart planning to clean that. Forgot these cars came with an aluminum wheel for the spare.

Turned out trunk was pretty clean. Didn't take much more than a wipe down to make it look like this.

Also fixed the issue with the blower only coming out through the defrost. Discovered one of the vacuum lines in the dash right behind the glove box was unplugged. Probably one of the quickest fixes I've ever done. lol Pulled the glove box down to start looking there first. As soon as I pulled the glove box front I saw the black vacuum line hanging there. Check the other side of the vacuum line union to see where the black line went, matched it up on the correct spot, started the car and everything worked perfect.

Also went over and detailed the interior. I found various receipts from 2001 under the drivers seat. Nothing car related from what I could tell. There were a couple small spots of what looked like coffee or soda on the carpet. They all came out completely. So the interior looks brand new now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just saw your post-detailing pics. Very nice job! It's looking beyond great!
upload_2018-9-10_20-53-54.png

03'Darin

Established Member
Congrats Darin, welcome to the club!

Thanks Dave! Not to your stature with cars yet though. lol

Just saw your post-detailing pics. Very nice job! It's looking beyond great!
View attachment 1514767

Thanks!

Car had years of just basic dirt on it. The guy that owned it is probably early to mid 70's and just hasn't cleaned the car for years. He likes cars but isn't one of those guys that is definitly not a neat and clean freak like I am. There were old receipts on the floor and under the seats, bread ties on the floor, couple pennies, a straw wrapper, and probably 25 years of basic dirt from crawling in and out of the car along with what looked like some spots where coffee or soda got spilled. But nothing that didn't clean up fairly easy though. The interior doesn't show any wear anywhere and looks like brand new now.

Each time he changed the oil he never cleaned the steering rack off where all of the oil runs when you pull the filter. He never cleaned under the hood at all. The exterior had bugs on the front (no stone chips), the lower sides of the car had all of the normal crap that flys up off the tires. I spend several hours under the car cleaning the bottom with simple green and a sponge. I took the wheels off and cleaned the wheel wells and the back of the rims. I went over the entire car with clay bar even the bottom side of the cladding.

This past weekend I did the interior and trunk area.

My plans yet are to finish detailing the engine compartment and go over the undercarriage one more time.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a great find

I want red one in the worst way

03'Darin

Established Member
They sold a red one with 1,900 miles on it a few weeks ago at the Mecum auction here in Harrisburg. The car was a one owner Florida car. Nice shape but the entire front bumper and the rear spoiler had noticeable fading. The rest of the paint and car looked good though. With buyers fees that car sold for $40,150

03'Darin

Established Member
I agree. I'd been following their value on occasion but not real closely. I couldn't believe the money some of them were bringing. I started watching much closer last December when I ran across the car I bought. From December until the beginning of August when I bought it I watched the market on them very closely.

I've been watching the work on a fox body GT that's in our body shop. The owner had apparently owned the car at one point years ago and then ran across the car again recently. The car was in ok shape but needed a lot of work. Just the work in our body shop will probably cost the guy $7-8K. So take that plus redoing the motor, tranny, interior, suspension, lights and so on he'll have well over $20k in the car. Yes it will look great and be close to a new car but it's still a high mileage rebuild. So it will have good value but not what he'll have in it. So I guess I kiiind of see where the value of these low mileage original cars comes from.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes I could see the completely original, low miles one owner all that good stuff getting top dollar, but man I would have never guessed $40k was the market value. But hey I was looking at the other thread about the cobra R's still demanding insane money so anything is possible.

03'Darin

Established Member
Yes I could see the completely original, low miles one owner all that good stuff getting top dollar, but man I would have never guessed $40k was the market value. But hey I was looking at the other thread about the cobra R's still demanding insane money so anything is possible.

The strength of the economy has a tremendous amount to do with how strong collector car values are. I'm sure that's one reason cars are doing such high values right now.

The one that really shocked me is the Teal 93' Cobra that sold on ebay in July for $50,900 That was a 1,900 mile car also.

03'Darin

Established Member
Yes it was undercoated when it was new. I started selling cars in 1986 and back in that era we pushed hard selling the Ford undercoating. Even on the specialty cars.

Users who are viewing this thread