Just Took the AFOQT... Thoughts.

bunk22

Established Member
Navy pilot here, 17 years active duty on 1 April 10. Anyway, I assume this test just to get into OTS and flight school? I went the NROTC route via UCLA years ago and the test we had to take for flight school was the AQTFAR with only two parts, the Academica Qualification Test (AQT) which was like taking the SAT and the Flight Aptitude Readiness (FAR) test. Top score on each was a 9, kind of an odd number. I remember my score to this day, AQT:5 and FAR: 9. I think now the Navy has 5 or 6 categores and it's for entry into flight school.

bnd3672

Established Member
Anyway, I assume this test just to get into OTS and flight school?

From my understanding all officers take the AFOQT prior to commissioning except certain specialties such as law, chaplain, etc. That includes ROTC and Academy folks.

Just got my scores in after taking my TBAS test.

Scores:
Pilot: 99
Navigator: 97
ACAD Apt: 91
Verbal: 70 (as said above....OUCH)
Quantitative: 96

Again...good luck to those out there. I just got back from the TBAS. I thought I did miserably.

TBAS/AFOQT combined to give my PCSM: 96

Here's hoping I get the pilot slot!

Nice scores! Congratulations! I had a negative outlook after taking the TBAS too, but actually ended up with a 97 PCSM.

Also, I wouldnt worry too much about the verbal section. I put together a spreadsheet that used statistics from past pilot applicants, and analyzed objective factors like GPA, flight hours, AFOQT scores, PCSM, etc. I created a formula that had a moderately high correlation with selection status. Although nothing is for sure in the selection process they use, the verbal score, in itself, had a very low correlation with selection. (Keep in mind that my sample size wasn't quite large enough to be representative of the population under the laws of statistics, although it was close)

Some of the factors that were more correlated with selection were flight hours (.511) and GPA (.548). Verbal was actually negative, but minutely significant at -.138

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
From my understanding all officers take the AFOQT prior to commissioning except certain specialties such as law, chaplain, etc. That includes ROTC and Academy folks.

Nice scores! Congratulations! I had a negative outlook after taking the TBAS too, but actually ended up with a 97 PCSM.

Also, I wouldnt worry too much about the verbal section. I put together a spreadsheet that used statistics from past pilot applicants, and analyzed objective factors like GPA, flight hours, AFOQT scores, PCSM, etc. I created a formula that had a moderately high correlation with selection status. Although nothing is for sure in the selection process they use, the verbal score, in itself, had a very low correlation with selection. (Keep in mind that my sample size wasn't quite large enough to be representative of the population under the laws of statistics, although it was close)

Some of the factors that were more correlated with selection were flight hours (.511) and GPA (.548). Verbal was actually negative, but minutely significant at -.138

That's pretty interesting. I'll have to get on picking up more flight hours, as I only have about 15....

Do you browse around baseops.net? That's pretty much the only place I get my info.

bnd3672

Established Member
Yes. I read baseops occasionally, but frequent airforceots.com. The great thing about airforceots.com is that everybody is there for the very specific purpose of Air Force OTS. There is a wealth of information. You should check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread