K&N PCV

Peter

Established Member
Well I had been knocking my brains out fo the last month or so trying to figure out what was causing a check engine light banks one and two lean. I was thinking new chip dyno, FMU issues,o2 sensors something expensive, well I put a K&N filter into the drivers side pcv for a unrelated fix, took the car for a ride and almost instantly feels better like I found 50hp, and after riding around for about a 1/2 hour the check engine light goes out! Has anybody else experienced anything like this.

Pete:burnout:

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
It's because you've decreased the intake temperature charge. When I did mine it felt the same but what it really did was get rid of my surging idle.

Looking at your mods, you and I have just about the exact same setup.

TREADMARKS

Established Member
Originally posted by Peter
I put a K&N filter into the drivers side pcv for a unrelated fix, took the car for a ride and almost instantly feels better like I found 50hp, and after riding around for about a 1/2 hour the check engine light goes out! Has anybody else experienced anything like this.

Pete:burnout:

Please tell me more about the K&N filter..

Does it connect to the vacuum line, or did you plug up the vacuum?

Thanks

Peter

Established Member
Re: Re: K&N PCV

Originally posted by TREADMARKS

Thanks

I had to plug up the vacum to the intake.

Pete

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Re: Re: K&N PCV

Thanks

Connects to the valve cover. You would need to plug the hole in the intake plenum where the hose went to. Check out my website and photo 9 on the photos page. It will show you what it looks like. You can see both the filter and the plugged hole.

No oil comes out.

TREADMARKS

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: K&N PCV

Originally posted by PowerCobra98
Connects to the valve cover. You would need to plug the hole in the intake plenum where the hose went to. Check out my website and photo 9 on the photos page. It will show you what it looks like. You can see both the filter and the plugged hole.

No oil comes out.

Dam...nice lookin cobra...very nice indeed.

I will check out K&N's website and try to get a part number.

Thanks

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by PowerCobra98
It's because you've decreased the intake temperature charge. When I did mine it felt the same but what it really did was get rid of my surging idle.

Looking at your mods, you and I have just about the exact same setup.

Yeah we have a very similar setup, you have the sq vortech and the race bypass, I have the standard S-trim and standard bypass. Are you using an FMU? What calibration?
I am going back on the dyno this weekend.

Pete:thumbsup:

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I have been thinking about playing around with the PCV also. So Pete, you have a breather on both covers right? I'm running rich in both bays right now also.........of course I'm once again in need of a good dyno tune. (still have not had time to get it there since we last talked Pete). I will let you know what happens.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Yeah we have a very similar setup, you have the sq vortech and the race bypass, I have the standard S-trim and standard bypass. Are you using an FMU? What calibration?
I am going back on the dyno this weekend.

Pete:thumbsup:

I'm not using a FMU anymore. I took it off when I upgraded my fuel system. Better off without it in my opinion.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: K&N PCV

Dam...nice lookin cobra...very nice indeed.

I will check out K&N's website and try to get a part number.

Thanks

Thanks, I've worked hard to make it look like that.

No need to get a part number really, you can go to any Autozone and buy a Spectre vent like I have. They are the PERFECT size and you can either get them in chrome, anodized red, blue, or yellow.

TREADMARKS

Established Member
More PCV Info

Ok..

I did the valve cover filters, and capped off the vacuum supply and the fresh air supply on the other side.

The car runs much smoother, which increases driveability. But there seems to be a power loss, or maybe just a smoother transition between primary and secondary intake runners. Opening the hood, after 30 minutes in traffic, revealed a small, occasional puff of smoke from the valve cover filters.

No big deal. I like the smoothness more than I dislike the smoke!

While doing some more research I ran across this article, which discusses using an air pump and or catch pan.

http://www.kallistimotorsports.com/tech_info/feat_catchcans.html

Anyone familar with this?

TREADMARKS:shrug:

Killa B

My head hurts
Established Member
Hey PowerCobra98, I've been looking around autozones website and havn't been able to find the breather cap, soooooo do ya think maybe you could give me a link os something, it would be much appreciated:)

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Hopefully you guys are venting both sides and plugging both inlet and plenum openings when you do this or you will be sucking in unmetered air.

I found the smell to be a problem so I vented both valve covers to a Y and then to a single K&N down on my frame rail. I still smell it at times, but it isn;t as bad. If you are running a fair amount of boost you will push out a little oil. I dribble some out at times and leave a little spot on my garage floor sometimes.

Chris

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by Poiznus
I have been thinking about playing around with the PCV also. So Pete, you have a breather on both covers right? I'm running rich in both bays right now also.........of course I'm once again in need of a good dyno tune. (still have not had time to get it there since we last talked Pete). I will let you know what happens.

Hi Poiznus, I was wondering what was happening with your setup. I put the breather on one side(drivers side). Is this a problem? Let me know when you are going for the tune.

pete

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by Chris98vobra
Hopefully you guys are venting both sides and plugging both inlet and plenum openings when you do this or you will be sucking in unmetered air.

I found the smell to be a problem so I vented both valve covers to a Y and then to a single K&N down on my frame rail. I still smell it at times, but it isn;t as bad. If you are running a fair amount of boost you will push out a little oil. I dribble some out at times and leave a little spot on my garage floor sometimes.

Chris

I am only venting one side(drivers side), the car is running smoother, however I dynoed today and the power was down to 465, but my a/f was 11.2.

Pete

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Hi Poiznus, I was wondering what was happening with your setup. I put the breather on one side(drivers side). Is this a problem? Let me know when you are going for the tune.

pete

I have been trying, but I can not get away from work. And, I have to travel around 3 hours to Alabama to get it done. Should not be long (I keep saying that). I went ahead and put a breather on both covers. Just not going to run it much now till I get it on the dyno. I will let you know what happens.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Peter,

If you are set up that way you are bringing in unmetered air so leaning it out under normal driving conditions (closed loop). The computer adds fuel to compensate for the lean condition in closed loop and also applies what it learns to open loop. If it added 20% fuel to hit 14.64:1 target a/f in closed loop then it adds 20% at WOT too. This is likely why you are now rich.

You must vent both sides and plug the vacuum port on the plenum and inlet tube fitting. Otherwise you are sucking unmetered air ( not through the MAF) from the left side vent, through the crankcase, into the intake tube.

Trust me on this.

Chris

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by Chris98vobra
Peter,

If you are set up that way you are bringing in unmetered air so leaning it out under normal driving conditions (closed loop). The computer adds fuel to compensate for the lean condition in closed loop and also applies what it learns to open loop. If it added 20% fuel to hit 14.64:1 target a/f in closed loop then it adds 20% at WOT too. This is likely why you are now rich.

You must vent both sides and plug the vacuum port on the plenum and inlet tube fitting. Otherwise you are sucking unmetered air ( not through the MAF) from the left side vent, through the crankcase, into the intake tube.

Trust me on this.

Chris

Chris,
Are you talking about the hose on the passenger side which feeds into the pipe after the meter but before the charger.
If so where did you get a breather to fit under the discharge tube?

Thanks,
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread