K&N vs AFE (drop in)

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Just curious about the difference between the oiled filters (K&N) and the dry (AFE). I've always used K&N in my previous cars and had no problems, I did a search and couldn't find any info. Looking to purchase a drop in filter soon, trying to figure out which way to go.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
That's what I've read as well. I will be going AFE, its hard to believe filters lose power. I have 24/7 access to a dyno, so I will make sure to do some pulls.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Use the search button its your friend. There was a test of both these filters an the stock filter all on the same car on the same day. With dyno numbers of all. Infact it was Shaun who had tested them all on his car. It was posted on svtp too. Must be having a hard time learning to use the search button

Last edited:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Use the search button its your friend. There was a test of both these filters an the stock filter all on the same car on the same day. With dyno numbers of all. Infact it was Shaun who had tested them all on his car. It was posted on svtp too. Must be having a hard time learning to use the search button

:lol:

GrayGhost Dog

Established Member
I looked at the past findings of Shaun's test. I would look at AEM's Dryflow drop-in replacement air filter, as well.

kingnut

Established Member
oiled filters have made my cars in the past feel like a slug. do not want.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member

Repeat yourself, much friend? :loser:

scotmach

Established Member

Using the search button requires work, which some just refuse to do for whatever reason.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Using the search button requires work, which some just refuse to do for whatever reason.

I see, reading & comprehension has failed you as well. In my first post I said I did a search, but couldn't find any useful info. (oiled filter vs dry) Give it a whirl, hotshot.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Been searching through all the threads on AFE, dryflow, etc.. can't really find the exact post on the open filters like the one in a JLT or Steeda cai.

I'm about ready to clean that filter, but if the AFE will improve performance.... I'll keep looking but if anyone knows please share.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member

Funny I searched and didn't find any threads started by Shawn on the 3 different filters. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11321708

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you're looking for increased performance a drop-in filter is not the place to find it. What you will get with one of them is a washable and reusable filter that will last a long time.

I haven't tried the aFe Mustang filter (maybe I'll talk to them at SEMA about getting us one to test) by I can say that I am very impressed by the performance of their ProGuard 7 filter on the SVTP F-350. In about 20,000 miles it captured a lot of dirt and I couldn't find one spec that got past it in the intake tract.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member

sloppymax

Established Member
Just to point out another alternative. AEM, yes the import company makes a great dry drop in filter as well. I have both the AEM and AFE, got one as a gift after I had bought the other one. Both are easy to clean but the AFE has shown more MAF "noise" than the AEM in my logs and I would guess that it is due to the wilder design.

Users who are viewing this thread