KB and belt slippage

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Im running KB with a 3" kenne bell (17psi) pulley and a gates belt along with a 90mm idler. I seem to be experiencing just a slight bit of slip. Over the weekend I put on a gatorback belt and a 2.75" (19psi) pulley and about 5500-5700rpm the thing just smoked and HP peaked and it fell on its face. Who is making a good nonslip pulley setup for the KB?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
with the 17psi pulley how much slip are you getting? Are you losing boost at high rpm?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
with the 17psi pulley how much slip are you getting? Are you losing boost at high rpm?
I hooked up an autometer temporarily to monitor boost (everyone seems to be backordered on the a-pillars) and tested it on the street. I wasnt able to get close to redline so didnt see full boost but I feel with the KB 3" I am not seeing all 17psi. I am getting at least 15psi and maybe even 16psi though so it is close but HP doesnt climb to redline like it did at lower boost levels which leads me to beleive there is just a tad bit of slippage. With a 19psi pulley I could see belt smoke at 5500+ rpm so I know it was slipping for sure. I think I am going to try a RR non-slip and see how it goes.

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I hooked up an autometer temporarily to monitor boost (everyone seems to be backordered on the a-pillars) and tested it on the street. I wasnt able to get close to redline so didnt see full boost but I feel with the KB 3" I am not seeing all 17psi. I am getting at least 15psi and maybe even 16psi though so it is close but HP doesnt climb to redline like it did at lower boost levels which leads me to beleive there is just a tad bit of slippage. With a 19psi pulley I could see belt smoke at 5500+ rpm so I know it was slipping for sure. I think I am going to try a RR non-slip and see how it goes.

Do you have the billetflow pulley wrap idler on? I have the 21lb KB pulley and no slip, but have the pulley wrap idler, well worth it and highly recommended.

dougwg

Established Member
RR is making non-slip pulleys for the KB, Amazon sells them.

and you should go with a 100mm idler on the bracket with those pulley sizes

coleman

Established Member
i had a 17# upper & 6# lower but only saw 20# of boost ... i think i was seeing some belt slip among other things :lol1:

i have quite a bit of black dust just below the snout.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I have a 90mm idler and using the KB pulleys. I may go with an RR and see if ti helps.

umustdv8

Established Member
I'd swap that 90mm for the 100mm too. What belt are you using? ...745 or ...740? I have the RR.

Users who are viewing this thread