Keep getting dashed odometer and stalling

DSGtermi95

So essentially my car will die randomly and varying rpms and I get dashed odometer I know it means its not communicating with the PCM. I've replaced every relay, ccrm, and even the PCM and had ford redo the pats. I've went over every ground wire and connector cleaned them and made sure all were secured. I replaced my battery terminals and I'm just stumped. I tried reading as many similar threads and tried those suggestions but its not working. I checks all fuses for continuity and they're fine. The error codes that come up are P0108, P0122, P0193, P0234, P0443, P0446, P0463, P0511, P0602 and P1408 along with the diagnostic D262. If I wait and turn it of and take the key out it will start up and run for a min and stall again but if i disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 secs it starts right up like nothing happened and I can usually make it home. Thats what leads me to think its a ground wire issue I just can't narrow it down and any help would be appreciated

cj428mach

Established Member
What about the ground in the kick panel next to the PCM. Any recent work/repairs

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had issues with the grounds..

The time I had dashes and freak out
Tiny ground on radiator support.
Eye hole cracked.
Than that wire from negative terminal to radiator support,

This burned on Inside of casing. Upgraded that to 10g which also did wonders for in car voltage ..

I will look over codes and see where they cross. Multiple codes should have a common factor

hotcobra03

Established Member
Reading code description and pin test.

602. Says check battery terminals than engine harness

Iat,tps,frps,egr,tmap ,, are items for 108/122/193/234/443/446/463/511/1408,,

All say short in power or ground
All say pcm

To many common parts,,but im thinking it may be a pinch on engine harness, which actually is a easy item to test each wire on a short section ..

Good luck. Hopefully it was a freak out. Fuel level code would be the only in car car

Haven't searched d262 yet.

DSGtermi95

Thanks for the help! That makes sense I just haven’t been able to narrow it down and a pinch honestly might be the issue because it only happens when the engines warmed up or it’s hot out and if I let it sit and cool it’ll be fine.

Roush6018

Established Member
i did have this same problem with my mustang. my car has a engine swap and aftermarket parts so its hard to find someone to work on a car like ours. i had my mechanic friend from the dealership we worked at help me out with my mustang because it was stuck in the driveway with the dashed ODO and no-start. when the problem is occuring is the best time to try and diagnose it. we had the wiring diagrams for the cobra and the gt engine/pcm.

we found a common connector was the ABS connector. we opened the harness up and he had started to cut the wires ( to get the short to go away) . then after 2 or 3 wires cut, my mustang started up again. wow.

then, i repaired the wires he cut during diagnosis, ordered a new/used/known good ABS module for a GT .removed my bad ABS module and installed my new one (i think mine was from pick and pull)( i think also i changed mine from a GT to a Cobra module) after this was done i drove my car every day and didnt have the dashed ODO and the no start condition ever again.

reason is the electrical connector for the ABS module is facing up and if water falls inside that passenger hood vent it can fall into that ABS module connector. also if washing your engine with the hood open, water can get on the ABS module too.

Good Luck , SVTP FTW

DSGtermi95

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check it out and try that, where did you happen to find the cobra module. I noticed from a quick google search most are used and I'ld prefer something on then newer side with my luck lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check it out and try that, where did you happen to find the cobra module. I noticed from a quick google search most are used and I'ld prefer something on then newer side with my luck lol

Id probably look to one of the module repair places - you can either send yours in to be diagnosed/repaired or buy a repaired one and send yours in as a core

DSGtermi95

So essentially with some reading I figured out that it’s a short in the CAN system so I first disconnected the abs module but it still died and gave me dashed odometer so the next thing I tried was the instrument cluster after I unplugged the instrument cluster I still couldn’t read the obII port with my scan tool so that tells me it wasn’t the instrument cluster and I already replaced the ECU/PCM cause that’s what ford thought it was initially but I haven’t been able to find pinched wires I tested the connections and fuses and I’m getting 0.3 ish ohms.

shurur

Established Member
Just putting this out there. I had bucking and throttle problems.
And no speedo.
I found it was a loose connector going to the module (SRS? TCM?) mounted next to the obd2 port under the dash.
The red locking tab was broken. Those data lines and iso data lines were somehow involved.
I dabbed a bit of permatex on the connector sheath and pushed the connector in.

Also there was another fix with the odometer and speedo that involved a cold solder on the first two pins, power and ground, of the ribbon cable on the cluster.They needed to be touched up/resoldered.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you check G204 ( behind dash panel, RH side) and G104 (Engine compartment) they are gounds off your OBD2 for your network. Verify you have a continuity back to the OBD2. Your either losing ground and/or short exist. This would tool will help you diagnosis a ground or short condition in your network at you OBD2.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member

I am still betting on a loose connector.
The U1262 code, communication bus fault cross references to that code.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread