Kene Bell

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I would put a KB, I bet they are a blast in normal driving with that big block torque.

Anyone ever run a KB with a small shot of nitrous?

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
I am really leanin twords the KB. If I could make 4oo at the wheels I would call it a day and enjoy the hell out of the car. Any chance you could get a vid inside the car of you makin a short run? just curious how loud the KB is

Joe

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
I am really leanin twords the KB. If I could make 4oo at the wheels I would call it a day and enjoy the hell out of the car. Any chance you could get a vid inside the car of you makin a short run? just curious how loud the KB is

Joe

Tank is out of the car getting a big pump, but you can look at this vid. The sound is not that good as I had a new camera and wasn't used to how the sound came out. The audio is a bit over driven so there is a lot of background noise. You can hear the blower at idle, and over 3000rpm, but the rest of the time, it's pretty quiet and you have to really listen to hear it over the exhaust. It's not loud like the Eatons on the 03/04 Cobras. (You will need Quicktime installed to view it)

http://tehamashooters.net/frank/93_cobra/kenne_bell/blower_vid.MP4

To get 400 rwhp out of it, you will have to run 10-12psi and have the supporting mods to do that amount of boost. You may have to run water/meth to get the intake tamps down also. Alot of it will be in the tune.

I know a guy that has 450hp without Meth at 10psi with a 2.2L KB. He has heads and a cam also. The new 2.1L blowers are supposed to be more efficient.

If you are stock right now, and want to do 400hp, plan on spending around $4500 to get there with doing the work yourself. Maybe a bit more if you are going to have a tuner do the tune for you.

Last edited:

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
Well the car is a 306,heads cam,full exhaust,granetelli MAF,CAI so hopefully that along with the KB at 10-12psi 400hp should be attainable

drkhrse

Established Member
As a comparison i have a powerdyne on a mostly stock motor, getting 8 psi from it. With the FMU, 24# injectors and stock MAF I had all sorts of detonation issues. Just last spring after a year of headaches I went o 30# injectors NO FMU and had a buddy dyno tune it and burn me a custom chip with a conservative tune for the street. I got 353 rwhp, 369 torque. I'm pretty impressed with it for being the stock motor, heads have never been off of it. My problem turned out to be the MAF meter was done at 4000r’s, we fixed it in the tune , if I upgrade any more I’ll need a larger one.

I read a comment earlier about drilling a hole in your pan, no need with a powerdyne.

My .02

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
As a comparison i have a powerdyne on a mostly stock motor, getting 8 psi from it. With the FMU, 24# injectors and stock MAF I had all sorts of detonation issues. Just last spring after a year of headaches I went o 30# injectors NO FMU and had a buddy dyno tune it and burn me a custom chip with a conservative tune for the street. I got 353 rwhp, 369 torque. I'm pretty impressed with it for being the stock motor, heads have never been off of it. My problem turned out to be the MAF meter was done at 4000r’s, we fixed it in the tune , if I upgrade any more I’ll need a larger one.

I read a comment earlier about drilling a hole in your pan, no need with a powerdyne.

My .02
Those are great numbers. Sounds like the 30's made a difference. I"m suprised you didn't go with 42's though. What is your AFR's at WOT? And are you still using the stock MAF?

blownfox

Established Member
Well the car is a 306,heads cam,full exhaust,granetelli MAF,CAI so hopefully that along with the KB at 10-12psi 400hp should be attainable

I think with 10 to 12 psi you should be closer to 450+. I made 366rwhp on 5psi with H/C/I out of a old 302. My car is on a safe tune for daily driving.

Kevins89notch

Established Member

I'd say yes, with the right tune. 400rwhp is pushing it on a stock block though, IMO.

No, things don't get iffy until 500. Its usually 500+ cars that split the block. I've never seen a 400-500hp car split a stock block. Typically its H/C/I followed by either a 150 shot, or about 14psi that does it in. I know a guy at another forum just destroyed his a couple days ago, H/C/I/150 shot...

BStrackrentalfall031.jpg

BStrackrentalfall033.jpg

That sounds like a lot of HP for 5psi. What else was on the car? Spray?

Boost is just a measure of pressure. A H/C/I engine flows a lot better. That blower putting 5psi moved to a stock 5.0 engine might make 8-9.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
I have heard of two that plit the block at 450hp. Most guys you will talk to will tell you that 450 is the upper limit. Not saying that 450 will do it, but it's happened. I do know a guy that is running HCI at 10psi and gets about 460rwhp.. He has blowen a gasket, but still is on his stock block (with forged pistons)

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
I think with 10 to 12 psi you should be closer to 450+. I made 366rwhp on 5psi with H/C/I out of a old 302. My car is on a safe tune for daily driving.

speakin of which you have time sometime tomorrow to give me a ride in your car? I wwill be on the west side of town tomorrow afternoon.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member

My .02

any pics of your setup?

blownfox

Established Member
That sounds like a lot of HP for 5psi. What else was on the car? Spray?

It is a trick flow kit with a s-trim full exhaust 42injectors recal Pmass and no power pipe or aftercooler.

Joe

Tapping the oil pan isn’t that hard. We did it without pulling the engine out right before an oil change. Call me earlier the better.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I'd say yes, with the right tune. 400rwhp is pushing it on a stock block though, IMO.

400rwhp is no where close to hurting a stock block. Trust me.

I have never seen a H/C/I car with a little 150 shot split a block either. Something had to be off in the tune to do something like that

Last edited:

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
400rwhp is no where close to hurting a stock block. Trust me.

I have never seen a H/C/I car with a little 150 shot split a block either. Something had to be off in the tune to do something like that

Never the less, it happened. All engines are different.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Never the less, it happened. All engines are different.

I didn't doubt that it happened. In my opinion there was something off in the engine elsewhere to cause it. Properly balanced or tuned engine shouldn't split a block on juice.
My car when it had the stock shortblock saw a ton of juice go through it on a 150 shot. Never had a problem but I was very careful. I kept a check on the tune the 4 years I used it. I had to because the car was my daily driver at the time

drkhrse

Established Member
Those are great numbers. Sounds like the 30's made a difference. I"m suprised you didn't go with 42's though. What is your AFR's at WOT? And are you still using the stock MAF?

Air fuel was pretty flat ~12 if i recal, fattened it up jsut before 4K, where it quit responding. I'll have to find the dyno sheet. Yes i'm still using the stock MAF. Only motor mods are a CNC port matched upper to lower intake, windage tray, UPR intake tube, Crane ignition, MSD dist (w/ ford internals) and the Powerdyne. Using a stock Coil, module and TB.

Deadly_engine.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread