Kenne Bell 2.2 Dyno Numbers List

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea I hear ya! Pretty sure I coulda cooked and egg on the blower last time out to the dyno. Made 3 back to back pulls, first time wasn't tied down tight enough, second the computer locked up and well the 3rd it was just too hot. So after going return I seen about 675 and 690 but waiting to back it up before ill claim it but now one of my 405s took a dump so the pumps are coming back out after only 3 months! So the car is probably out for the year then its time for a freshen up with new fuel pumps and see what happens! Its awesome to see #s like this out of 2.2s!

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Good luck on that. Don't think the 2.2 has much more in it beyond 21-22 psi in all honesty. My IAT2s get stupid high after a pull even after a cold soak. My next mod is a killer chiller way before upping anymore boost just to keep IATs in check some more. Granted the spray helps but just want more peace of mind.

Gonna run a KC this winter before turning the boost up. My 3.1/4lb combo only makes 16psi here in denver.

Whats the max efficiency rpm on a kb 2.2?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man guys you're letting the dyno operator or Tuner run your cars on the dyno to fast in between pulls. If the car pulls any timing at all then it shouldn't have made a full pull. Or if it's just heat soaked then put some fans on it and MAKE them wait. We typically won't make a pull for at least 15 minutes and that's when the car is cool. You're paying for their time and they deserve to treat you like you care about your car imo.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Totally agree with you Posi but sometimes time just doesn't permit. The last time I dyno'd it was actually over my lunch break so I didn't have a choice.

I believe the max RPM that KB recommends is 18,000 RPM if I recall correctly.

badazzebz06

Established Member
Man guys you're letting the dyno operator or Tuner run your cars on the dyno to fast in between pulls. If the car pulls any timing at all then it shouldn't have made a full pull. Or if it's just heat soaked then put some fans on it and MAKE them wait. We typically won't make a pull for at least 15 minutes and that's when the car is cool. You're paying for their time and they deserve to treat you like you care about your car imo.

my tuner said my car made 617 heat soaked like crazy but he waited 30 mins but 30 mins on a 2.2 dont mean crap after a spirited run literally you could not touch my 2.2 even after 3 hours of the car sitting i know my car stays heat soaked in fact in the 99* days here in delaware my car feels beastly in the am but throughout the day literlly loses like 100hp at least it feels this way

as far as spinning the 2.2 i would not go above 22lbs....i am trying for 19 because i hear the seals leak and oil leaks from it then u need a rebuild this is why i am selling mine and going 2.9 whipple

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea that 2.2 just holds in wayyyyy too much heat that's for sure. I haven't had any issues with seals on 21 psi and that's been two years. I didn't snap a bolt in the snout that couples it to the case though. Was an easy fix thanks to Jon Bond. After im done with the 2.2 I am just thinking its time for a snail.

semc1913

SVTFAN
Established Member
Zoso, that's crazy you are only seeing 16lbs with that combo. I am same altitude and got 17 with a 3.0 upper stock lower.
I have noticed the benefit to being at this altitude is getting away with more boost and power on a smaller fuel system than low altitude folks

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
I also made 17 psi with a 3.0 upper and stock lower. Kinda crazy, but yet its not how altitude can play a factor in all of it!

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Long tubes dropped it a bit. Before the headers with stock manifolds and stock mid pipe I'd see 18psi. I'll get the bigger fuel system in and on the dyno this winter.

With a 3.1/4lb combo it says Im turning the blower at 18,050rpm. Thats the max that KB recommends but I still might try the 2.76 upper and see what she does.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
2.93 upper/stock lower, lt's and or-x. I see 18-18.5#. Not sure what it makes at the wheels but, a buddy makes 630 with a 2.93/2# lower and he just barely pulls away.

**update**
Just replaced my gatorback with a gates greenback and I'm seeing 20.5# at the top of 4th.

Last edited:

semc1913

SVTFAN
Established Member
Updated #'s
Switched to a full lethal return system and single blade inlet re-using my accufab I had on the eaton.
E85!!

From 602hp and 587tq
To 684hp and 649tq
Saw 20psi

bigmoose

Established Member
I just dyno'd mine today. 2.76 upper, stock lower. Stock manifolds. I saw a solid 20# boost and it put down 614/582 on a Torco tune with 20* timing. Backed it down to 17* for a 93 tune and it made 601/572.

I'm thinking of dropping the boost to 18#, not sure yet.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/TBd3CBwoXT0

BadAzztt

Established Member
Updated #'s
Switched to a full lethal return system and single blade inlet re-using my accufab I had on the eaton.
E85!!

From 602hp and 587tq
To 684hp and 649tq
Saw 20psi

Impressive numbers. I'm just buttoning up my 2.2 install with a new return system and Jen2 high boost cold air intake. I went a different route and will be using meth for octane boost on the street (only have 60lb injectors so the E-85 tune will have to wait). How much timing are you running with the E85? Did you get it tuned locally?

semc1913

SVTFAN
Established Member
I think they ended up at 21 degrees, and had it tuned at finish line

I ran meth on another car and had a shop in town fab up some an lines instead of those stupid push lock tubes and it worked great but you always had to worry about your pump going out

Last edited:

BadAzztt

Established Member
Just got back from the tuner today:

91 octane + Meth
19 PSI, 20 degrees of timing
672 HP/ 605 TRQ
Overall I'm thrilled with the numbers the little 2.2 put down!

craneb4

Established Member
2.2L Kenne Bell Dyno Number List

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd chime in! You don't see a ton of 2.2L KB's anymore, which is understandable because technology and efficiency has come a long way with other blowers such as the 2.9L Whipple and VMP blowers. But IMO they are still the best sounding blower to ever be put on these cars! Here's my setup...

2.75" Upper
Stock Lower
Alky Controls Alcohol Injection
Kooks LT's-Back
All other supporting mods, but still stock pumps with a Boost-A-Pump!

On an 85 degree day, it made 18.5# and put out 632 RWHP / 540 RWTQ. Makes 20ish PSI when it's cooler out. Best quarter mile pass is a 10.84 @ 132 with a 1.71 60'. Tuned by Lidio at Alternative Auto.

Car will be back on the dyno in a few weeks. Upgraded the lower pulley to a 2# lower (which may not help much because it'll just produce more heat) but we will see how it goes. Anyone on here running a 2.75" upper and a 2# lower with the old 2.2L?

Users who are viewing this thread