Kenne Bell 3.6LC Hood Clearance

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Does anyone know which aftermarket hoods will clear the new KB 3.6LC supercharger without having to lower the engine or fiddle with K-members? I have heard that the Shelby Supersnake hood likely will, but that is out of stock and on back order.

Will the Cervini cowl clear? Venom I or Venom II? Suncoast possibly?

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
From a previous call I had placed over to you guys, I was under the impression that if you were to lower the engine, it would require 1.75" inches of clearance of the stock hood.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I would much prefer to purchase an after market hood in order to generate the clearance, perhaps with 1/2" engine mounts for a bit of cushion if necessary. I have spoken directly to the vendors at Cervini (Cowl) and Trufiber (Venom) about their hoods, but they are not able to verify if it will clear without specific measurements.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I would much prefer to purchase an after market hood in order to generate the clearance, perhaps with 1/2" engine mounts for a bit of cushion if necessary. I have spoken directly to the vendors at Cervini (Cowl) and Trufiber (Venom) about their hoods, but they are not able to verify if it will clear without specific measurements.

Mine will clear it. Suncoast now produces it. Evo sells it.

bj

Van@RevanRacing

What's your intended use? Drag or road course or ????

Suncoast hood traps a lot of heat under the hood for a road course duty car and will have to be modified for adequate heat extraction.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Intended use

I'm not as hard core as you Van, at least not yet :)

Right now I am mainly looking to take the car to the drag strip and post up some good times. With the liquid cooled blower and your Revan Dual-Pass heat exchanger, I do want to be able to get several runs in at the track when I go. Hoping with that combo I won't be dealing with heat soak issues. Considering you are road racing your car with that combo, I don't think I will have a problem?

Having seen BJ's Suncoast hood in person, I know it is a very attractive hood. Any issues with Suncoast over the competition on multiple runs?

The Super Snake hood is likely ideal for heat extraction and it definitely is beautiful. Sadly, unavailable as I understand it. Perhaps I should go hoodless until it comes off backorder :beer:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Anyone else care to render some advise about this hood issue? I don't want to ugly up my car with a cowl hood. The Super Snake hood will clear but it is not currently available. I am told that it may be available in August, but nothing definite and per my discussion with Shelby's CS department this morning, it will not have functional ram air due to the past lean issues.

The closest I have come to getting a match is the Venom I hood by Trufiber. The Venom II hood, which is my preference, will not fit. I am told by Trufiber's CS that the Venom I will clear the supercharger, but I likely will still have a problem with the clearance of the CAI on the driver side of the hood.

What do you guys think about buying another stock hood, having a hole cut professionally, and creating a ZR1 type hood scenario with clear plexiglass?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
personally, i would leave the stock hood and go with a k-member drop. best looking combo IMO, really not a fan of cowls at all. i definitely wouldn't do the ZR1 window deal, but maybe have just a metal 'bump' kinda thing there instead. try to find a pic of a mach1 hood with the hole filled, that might not look bad on the '500.
your car though, your opinion is the only one that really matters.
What's your intended use? Drag or road course or ????

Suncoast hood traps a lot of heat under the hood for a road course duty car and will have to be modified for adequate heat extraction.
not only heat, but air in general. the S197s(the first gens at least) really seem to have a problem with generating high underhood pressure.

Last edited:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I appreciate you chiming in. Currently have the 1/2" lowering engine mounts. The K-member drop worries me because I have headers installed on my car. Having to drop the engine 2 inches seems to me to put the headers at risk. The lowering kit price of $700 is good though.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The 3.6 is exactly 1 inch taller than the 2.8 . And the 2.8 needs 1/2 inch of lowering to fit stock hood.Hope that helps.

I have been in touch with Ken at first and most recently Matt at KB in many emails related to the 3.6LC upgrade from the 2.8H, over the past week+. He (Matt) says,

-----------------------------------
"Robert

The 3.6 is 5 3/4" tall and the 2.8 is 5" tall"

so the difference in height between the two looks like .75".

This picture was from a recent magazine feature on the 3.6LC...........

Picture1726-8.jpg

I know the difference between .75 and 1.0 is not much, but sometimes it is a lot.....

R

Last edited:

Grunnsetning

Established Member
Don't think I could say
FrontPass.jpg

is uglying it up.
That's not my car but the same hood.
I don't have any clearance issues with a 3.4 whipple.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thanks for the post and info Robert. From the picture, it looks like the 3.6 is quite a bit larger than the 2.8. Man that thing is huge :)

I have been in touch with Ken at first and most recently Matt at KB in many emails related to the 3.6LC upgrade from the 2.8H, over the past week+. He (Matt) says,

"Robert

The 3.6 is 5 3/4" tall and the 2.8 is 5" tall"

so the difference in height between the two looks like .75".

This picture was from a recent magazine feature on the 3.6LC...........

Picture1726-8.jpg

I know the difference between .75 and 1.0 is not much, but sometimes it is a lot.....

R

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Cowl Hood

I agree that the car does look good with the pictured hood. I have always envisioned a KR or Super Snake style hood on my car, which is more along the lines of my vision for what my car would ideally look like. Sorry if my post sounded offensive to cowls - just not the direction of the look of the car that I am after.

Poor choice of words :thumbsup:

Don't think I could say
FrontPass.jpg

is uglying it up.
That's not my car but the same hood.
I don't have any clearance issues with a 3.4 whipple.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks for the post and info Robert. From the picture, it looks like the 3.6 is quite a bit larger than the 2.8. Man that thing is huge :)

You're welcome. Here is another comparision photo from that same magazine feature........

Picture1725-9.jpg

I have the $$$ for the 2.8H to 3.6LC upgrade kit, but I would REALLY like to keep my custom/unique strut tower brace. I am trying to figure out what it is going to take to keep a STB and also upgrade to the 3.6LC. In my situation, .25" is a big deal. With my current configuration, and adding the Lethal .50" lower motor mounts, the 3.6LC would just clear the bottom of the STB with very little if any room to spare, so I am going to have to re-adjust the STB upward, or something...........

Picture1719-2.jpg

R

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I wonder if you and I met at Shelby Fest a few months ago Robert? I spoke to a Red Super Snake owner there who was selling that awesome looking strut brace. It was engraved "Super Snake" like yours, but his supercharger may have been black anodized. I was considering purchasing one but was uncertain if it would clear the stock hood and a 2.8L KB at the time.

What a beautiful engine bay! That STB is the best complimentary piece I have seen on a Super Snake to a supercharger, so I can fully appreciate wanting to work out a way to keep it. Perhaps play with the K-member to lower the engine a bit more, or maybe put a spacer between the STB and the 4 strut bolts on each end? Do you know how much room you have for clearance between the hood and the STB?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I wonder if you and I met at Shelby Fest a few months ago Robert? I spoke to a Red Super Snake owner there who was selling that awesome looking strut brace. It was engraved "Super Snake" like yours, but his supercharger may have been black anodized. I was considering purchasing one but was uncertain if it would clear the stock hood and a 2.8L KB at the time.

What a beautiful engine bay! That STB is the best complimentary piece I have seen on a Super Snake to a supercharger, so I can fully appreciate wanting to work out a way to keep it. Perhaps play with the K-member to lower the engine a bit more, or maybe put a spacer between the STB and the 4 strut bolts on each end? Do you know how much room you have for clearance between the hood and the STB?

I have only had my car out to a couple of local car shows here in central Fla.

Thank you, I try to keep it nice looking.

The STB to hood clearance is unknown. I need to get some measurements, but have not done that yet.

R

Users who are viewing this thread