Kenne Bell punched a hole in the block --> engine swap

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
A few months ago I was presented with a deal I could not pass up. A buddy of mine had a tastefully modded 2000GT with an IC KB 2.1 9 PSI kit on it that had just had a catastrophic engine problem of some kind and was currently not running. He had his eye on a brand new GT, he had spent a lot of money on the mods and dyno tune for this one and he just did not want want to deal with it.

I had never pulled a motor before but I decided it would be a fun project so we made a deal and I had it towed to my place.

towed.jpg

KB.jpg

I put the car up on stands and took a peek underneath. Yep we had a problem.

problem.jpg

I had driven the car about a year earlier and I knew the clutch was junk so I started putting together a parts list for the project. A this point I was not sure what direction I was going to go engine-wise though.

A few weeks later I found out I was being let go from my job due to downsizing. :nonono:

Well that changed the budget of this project slightly... I thought it over for a few weeks and then made the hard decision to sell the Kenne Bell kit to help offset the car purchase and replacement motor cost.

Farm and Fleet had a deal on engine hoists so I picked one up and started to work on pulling the motor. I read a lot of forum posts with tips and things to watch out for so it went fairly smoothly just time consuming. I was able to disconnected the power steering pump from the block without having to undo the fluid fitting by using a ratcheting wrench to free the captive bolt (if you've ever pulled a 4.6 you know what I mean) as well as the AC compressor without having to evac the system. The starter came off fairly easily too once I had the necessary extensions and swivels. I picked up an engine stand on sale as well.

engine_pull.jpg

Due to budget constraints I knew a junkyard motor was in my future. I looked for about a month and started to realize that the Windsor 4.6s seemed to command a good bit more than the Romeo counterparts. I found a good deal on a low mileage motor from a 2001 close by so I rented a u-haul trailer and picked it up. (yes I know it has a plastic crossover)

Motoronthestand.jpg

(The reason that valve cover looks new is because it is, I cracked the original one :fm: accidentally on its ride back to my house. That prompted a call to Steve at Tousley Ford)

I knew I'd need a new flywheel due to the bolt difference on the cranks but that was no big deal since the flywheel on the old motor was in sad shape anyway. I already knew I needed a new clutch too so I ended up going with a Ford nodular iron flywheel and an Exedy Mach 350 cluch. I also replaced the motor mounts as well as the throw out bearing and clutch pivot stud as the old ones were in sad shape.

Honestly the Windsor to Romeo swap is not a big deal. The replacement motor came complete intake to oil pain so aside from the new flywheel and clutch nothing else was needed. I re-used my original harness, hoses and accessories and everything carried over without a problem. This project was very time consuming but not rocket science. I think the hardest part was getting the replacement engine back in the car and getting the transmission to mate back up with the engine. (I would have pulled the motor and trans together but my garage door and ceiling were not high enough to allow it)

A pic after I fired it up and brought it out into the driveway before I put the hood back on. Honestly, this project really kept me sane during the time I was looking for a job. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot doing this swap. Turning the key and hearing it fire up for the first time was a pretty awesome feeling.

IMAG0220.jpg

The car runs great and I got a new job so life is good. :beer:

Jroc

Established Member
I too have learned my lesson of wasting money trying to make a 4.6 2V fast.

Nice swap OP

You just have to massage them right which is basically the same principle with any older Modular that you want to throw some decent boost or HP to, and that's to build a strong bottomend to handle it.

All the old Modular motors before the Terminators would vent their blocks very easily. Even a OEM L motor can vent itself with the stock M112 and a few mods. Fortunately the newer boosted Modulars, and new 5.0 based motors will handle over 450 whp before throwing a rod.

Obviously the Modular 2v's aren't the best performance motor platform out there, but when done right they can be pretty potent.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/889876-my-turbo-2v-vs-world-mexico.html

GL OP.

Last edited:

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
2v

Yeah my last Mustang was a fox with minor bolt-ons so even though this is just a bolt-on GT, it still feels like it moves pretty good (and its paid for). I haven't even really got on it yet either since I'm still breaking in the clutch but after not having one for awhile it feels good to be back in a Mustang again.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
I too have learned my lesson of wasting money trying to make a 4.6 2V fast.

Nice swap OP

As much as i agree, a 2v is more fun/takes a beating way better than these 4vs.

But great swap, looked pretty straightforward...goodluck with it, go shopping for a S/C now!

blown87gt

Professionally charged GT
Established Member
I've had a procharger on my 2valve for quite a while now and it makes 425 rwhp, haven't had one single issue with it. It doesn't burn oil at all, no funny noises etc. Its all in the tune, and having an adequate fuel system. I should also mention my motor is a stock longblock other than the cams, and it has 107,000 miles on it.

OneQwkStang

Established Member
I've had a procharger on my 2valve for quite a while now and it makes 425 rwhp, haven't had one single issue with it. It doesn't burn oil at all, no funny noises etc. Its all in the tune, and having an adequate fuel system. I should also mention my motor is a stock longblock other than the cams, and it has 107,000 miles on it.

Buy a lotto ticket.

SCMOKN

Established Member

Had my 03 with a 1.7 Kenne Bell pumping out 427 to the wheels. Zero issue had 75,xxx miles on stock engine when I parted out the car due to an accident.

silverstang84

Established Member
im in this club too. i got an 00 GT 2v. voretch s-trim making 11psi. car runs like a bandit and ive never had a problem. i have heard of a few guys massaging stock 2 valves with boost up to around 500rwhp. its all in the tune!!!!!!

blown87gt

Professionally charged GT
Established Member
im in this club too. i got an 00 GT 2v. voretch s-trim making 11psi. car runs like a bandit and ive never had a problem. i have heard of a few guys massaging stock 2 valves with boost up to around 500rwhp. its all in the tune!!!!!!

Haven't you heard the rules? If you have a two valve you must be an amateur ass clown and aren't allowed to make decent power, it can't be done!! ;-) Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a terminator, but if I ever get one I'm not gonna have the typical attitude about gt's.

silverstang84

Established Member
Haven't you heard the rules? If you have a two valve you must be an amateur ass clown and aren't allowed to make decent power, it can't be done!! ;-) Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a terminator, but if I ever get one I'm not gonna have the typical attitude about gt's.

:beer:

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
On stock heads and shortblock my 2V made 487rwhp for a couple years, 9psi intercooled and Modular Powerhouse blower cams. A freak cam chain tensioner gasket fouled everything up so I built it. Makes 626 rwhp @ 15psi and still has the factory intake and a restrictive intercooler.

Like any other car a 2V just needs money to be fast :)

silverstang84

Established Member
On stock heads and shortblock my 2V made 487rwhp for a couple years, 9psi intercooled and Modular Powerhouse blower cams. A freak cam chain tensioner gasket fouled everything up so I built it. Makes 626 rwhp @ 15psi and still has the factory intake and a restrictive intercooler.

thats awesome

1Slw98GEETEE

Established Member
Love my 2v. The face on 03-04 Cobra owners faces when they get beat are priceless :) Good job on getting the car back on the road OP!

froush

Established Member
Not too shabby. Im looking at pushing my little 2v past the 600 mark here within the next month or two. Got a kb 2.2 waiting to go on

Broke

Established Member

That's the mentality on this forum.

Ill be following this thread, keep up the awesomeness !

Broke

Established Member

Do you have a build thread or any other details?

Users who are viewing this thread