Kenne Bell vs Procuarger D1

LitleWhiteSnake

Yeah, Its a VTEC
Established Member
I got the chance to trade my kb for a d1. What do you guys think is the best. I know procuargers make more power then the kb but iv never been in a procuarged car so I can't realy judge. What will you guys do

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
I would trade too but i personally like the feel of a centri car. what i would do is try and get a ride in a centri car(ask around the local boards, i know there has to be quite around orlando) and see if you like the way the power band feels.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Take the D1 and run. You can make a ton more power and they are very fun to drive.
Once you hit 3k the RPMs pull fast and boost will build. 10 psi will put you into the 400's easy.

phinhead34

Established Member
Damn now you guys got me wondering... whats better the KB or the D1. I'm not looking to make massive amounts of power. somewhere a little above 400. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? Sorry if its been talked about before but I'm new to the site.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
D1SC!!! Just to put into perspective, I made 400rwhp with my D1SC. That was with 8.5# of boost, only 2 degrees timing, only revving to 5800rpms(was having bad spark blowout) and it was 118 degrees outside when it was dynoed!!! There is plenty of potential in the D1SC blower.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Damn now you guys got me wondering... whats better the KB or the D1. I'm not looking to make massive amounts of power. somewhere a little above 400. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? Sorry if its been talked about before but I'm new to the site.

The KB blowers for 96-98 Cobra's do not have intercoolers, and there likely never will be one....EVER. So that is the biggest disadvantage for the KB. It really limits the timing you can fun and the boost you can run. With you living in Miami it may not be that good of an idea. With the heat and humidity you will be hard pressed to break 400rwhp. Another disadvantage with the KB blower is that there is no room to grow, again due to no intercooler. The advantage of the KB is low rpm power and torque. It will make a fun street car with a great throttle response and seat of the pants feel.

The D1SC disadvantage is that it takes rpms to make boost. The higher the rpms the more boost you will make. So it doesn't make as much low end power and torque compared to the KB but it will make more peak power at the same boost level due to less heat(not just because of the intercooler but because the efficiency of a centri>>>>>positive displacement). You can overcome some of the short commings by going with a steeper rear gear. 4.10's and a centri blower will be very competitive with a KB car from a dig and it will walk the KB on the top end due to more peak power. The D1SC also has a front mount intercooler which helps keep the intake air temperature at reasonable levels, thus allowing you to run more timing an boost.

I have driven both centri and PD blown 4v's. I personally like the feel of a centri better than the PD car. With the PD car it felt like it was running out of steam at the top vs the centri pulling hard all the way to red line. Plus I love the look and SOUND of a D1SC better than a twin screw, especially with an open race bypass valve. The centri also has great street maners as you can baby it and stay out of boost while driving in the rain for instance. Its linear on set of power also gives your tires the chance to get traction.

phinhead34

Established Member
The KB blowers for 96-98 Cobra's do not have intercoolers, and there likely never will be one....EVER. So that is the biggest disadvantage for the KB. It really limits the timing you can fun and the boost you can run. With you living in Miami it may not be that good of an idea. With the heat and humidity you will be hard pressed to break 400rwhp. Another disadvantage with the KB blower is that there is no room to grow, again due to no intercooler. The advantage of the KB is low rpm power and torque. It will make a fun street car with a great throttle response and seat of the pants feel.

The D1SC disadvantage is that it takes rpms to make boost. The higher the rpms the more boost you will make. So it doesn't make as much low end power and torque compared to the KB but it will make more peak power at the same boost level due to less heat(not just because of the intercooler but because the efficiency of a centri>>>>>positive displacement). You can overcome some of the short commings by going with a steeper rear gear. 4.10's and a centri blower will be very competitive with a KB car from a dig and it will walk the KB on the top end due to more peak power. The D1SC also has a front mount intercooler which helps keep the intake air temperature at reasonable levels, thus allowing you to run more timing an boost.

I have driven both centri and PD blown 4v's. I personally like the feel of a centri better than the PD car. With the PD car it felt like it was running out of steam at the top vs the centri pulling hard all the way to red line. Plus I love the look and SOUND of a D1SC better than a twin screw, especially with an open race bypass valve. The centri also has great street maners as you can baby it and stay out of boost while driving in the rain for instance. Its linear on set of power also gives your tires the chance to get traction.

Thanks for the info that was really helpful. I will be looking at the D1 and getting all the information on them. Everything you mentioned makes alot of sense . I'm sure you will want to upgrade after a little bit anyways and if your maxed out with the KB it would really piss me off. thanks again 97desertcobra:beer:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Thanks for the info that was really helpful. I will be looking at the D1 and getting all the information on them. Everything you mentioned makes alot of sense . I'm sure you will want to upgrade after a little bit anyways and if your maxed out with the KB it would really piss me off. thanks again 97desertcobra:beer:

No problem.:beer:

If you would honestly be content with just 400rwhp(I don't anyone that would be after a while) and was looking for the best bang for your buck and easy install I would recommend the KB as used KB's can go for way cheap in the market section. But for just a tad more you can get a P1SC or just a little more than that a D1SC and have everything I already mentioned. Another good option is getting a used Vortech S trim as they can go for just as cheap as a used KB. Then buy a front mount intercooler and some piping and then you will have a intercooled Vortech and make about the same power as a Procharger P1SC. That was my original plan but I stumbled upon a good deal on a D1SC in the market section and couldn't pass it up;-).

Toasty

Established Member
I got the chance to trade my kb for a d1. What do you guys think is the best. I know procuargers make more power then the kb but iv never been in a procuarged car so I can't realy judge. What will you guys do

D1 is alot of blower for a stock bottom end. You can limit the boost, but I dont think they are that efficient at lower boost level (someone correct/clarify me if I'm wrong). I looked at your sig and didnt see anything about a rebuilt bottom end with forged rods/pistons.

Roll Race Rob

Established Member
take the d1 and run. the kenne bell is a heat machine. the only kenne bells making good power are the larger intercooled kenne bell series, which arent available for your car. you can safely tune the car on 10-12lbs with the d1 and make in the neighborhood of 450 ponies, should you ever build your bottom end pulley the d1 and 550-600 is easily attainable.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Big blowers with low boost pulleys won't start really to put you in the seat until like 4k or so. They just don'g spin the blower fast enough. Now another option is the pulley the sh1t out of it so it'll build boost earlier and then take a BOV (not a BPV) to limit the boost at whatever psi you desire...or engine can handle. It'll act more like a PD blown car...well kinda.

-Mark

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Yeah people have pullied them down and put a wastegate on them to relieve the excess pressure at higher RPM to keep the overall boost lower. It will give you much more boost at a lower RPM.

blow off valve and bypass valves only relieve pressure when your not on the throttle.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
D1 is alot of blower for a stock bottom end. You can limit the boost, but I dont think they are that efficient at lower boost level (someone correct/clarify me if I'm wrong). I looked at your sig and didnt see anything about a rebuilt bottom end with forged rods/pistons.

Efficient may be the wrong word. Unresponsive would be a better substitute. My D1SC doesn't really kick in till almoust 4k rpms, then it takes off like a rocket. But if I had a smaller pulley and was making around 14-15 peak boost then it would be more responsive in the lower rpms.

I agree that the D1SC is a lot of blower for a stock bottom end. Mine didn't hold up longer than 5k miles! If you get the D1SC OP, either run the biggest pulley you can and get a conservative spot on tune or start saving for the built short block.

goat-ee

Established Member

The correct answer is Procharger and it's not even worth a discussion on our cars. But if your gonna own it, it's a requirement that you spell it correctly!!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread