Kill the new GTO

03cobraminn

Established Member
I was reading the article on motortrend.com new gto now to have 350 horse for 35 grand,big deal,they are coming to the market and are already under powered ,thank you ford and I cant wait for my first hyped up gto kill.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

New22003

Established Member
Love my cobra but kudos for GM on bringing back the GTO and not making it some front drive 4 cyl car like the lemans of the 1980's. Competition also makes the mustang better, ford cant rest now which is great for us!

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Kudos for bringing it back.

Jeers for making it look like a Cavalier.

The styling guys really blew it. This could have been a great car. Really a shame. There is more to a name like GTO than a nice engine.

03cobraminn

Established Member
Ill give them props on the engine and drive train , but the cavalier look ,and the 0-60 in 5.5 ,see ya.But its a step in the right direction of competion to enhace our 03 cobra.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Weights abit more than our Cobra....so its no lightweight to help with that underpowered high compression non supercharged engine. Right on the money with the Cavalier looks...they blew that. And they say next year it will come with ram air scoops and some more goodies. Should have done that right away. Oh yes...I remember...they cant...because it will be faster than the C5 corvette..and you cant have that. Believe me...I had an F body 98 Ram Air T/A and GM has played that ...Cant Be Faster than the Vette game for far far too long.

Ford is the way to go...plus there is Family history here....GM there is no Family name history anywhere anymore. Look what they did to Oldsmobile...killed it...yes...they killed it long before they put the ax to the name. Wouldnt let them do what they wanted.

So GM can kiss my ass all the way to Ford Motor Credit from now on. I bleed Blue Oval Blue with a touch of Olds Rocket Red Blood.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Elliotness

Established Member
AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Nice, You hit the nail on the head the GTO looks just like a Cavalier.

I am glad they built something that we can beat up on. Thanks GM.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Elliotness
I am glad they built something that we can beat up on. Thanks GM.
you say that like we cant beat up on the rest of the GM lineup. :shrug:

arizona302

Established Member
i think it's great that GM is making something to rival Ford although i wish it was a Camaro. i'd rather race one of those than honda/mitsu jap stuff. they'll probably run low 13's with gears, headers and exhaust - i hope they do!! it's a step in the right direction for GM but you know it's only a hold-over until they release a new Camaro. why else would they make the GTO on that platform? imho, it's just an inexpensive diversion until they have a 350+HP Camaro on a new chassis.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Originally posted by arizona302
i think it's great that GM is making something to rival Ford although i wish it was a Camaro. i'd rather race one of those than honda/mitsu jap stuff. they'll probably run low 13's with gears, headers and exhaust - i hope they do!! it's a step in the right direction for GM but you know it's only a hold-over until they release a new Camaro. why else would they make the GTO on that platform? imho, it's just an inexpensive diversion until they have a 350+HP Camaro on a new chassis.

Your most likely right on that!

Whats funny is...GM staying with that Dinosaur Motor Technology...even if GM comes out with a 405 hp Camaro...all Ford has to do is put a smaller pulley on the blower and still be plenty safe and be above that hp number that easy. GM has to update cams/manifold/exhaust etc.....they really need to redo their thinking and go with low compression...kickass block and a supercharger. To me..its the only way to fly from a factory hotrod.
DOHC's would be nice too...then again...you just stay where you are GM.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Last edited:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Or maybe a giant Saturn. What are these guys thinking? I know laywers who could come up with more imaginitive styling.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've seen pics of the GTO for a couple of months now and my only comment is that it looks too much like an import. Or a Cavalier. Why couldn't GM be a bit more creative and launch a new body/platform vs. just modifiying an existing (Australian) car. The GTO could have been a really sharp, leading edge performance car like the '05 Mustang will be. They're just too conservative in their management and design in my opinion. They're playing it safe to keep the costs down, nut at the same time they are missing an opportunity to produce something that would be serious competition not only to the Cobra and specialty Mustangs, but to the new hi-po imports as well. Very disappointing! :(

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
Some of you guys are really showing your Ford-biased views. Not that i blame you or expect any different. After all Cobra's don't get much respect on LS1.com/LS1tech.com no matter how much power they make.

On the surface the new GTO may have slight Cavalier look but its a much larger car and more substantial. I telling you all now before it getws here that teh crap we as American's put up with for quality and craftmanship doesn't fly in Austrailia. Say what you want about the style but this car interior will be light years ahead of any Mustang, F-body, Vette, or Viper. Think Audi or BMW with Lexus fit and finish. ITS very nice and a great departure from what we are used to here. This car with its array of colors inside and out will set a new benchmark for cars here atleast for Domestic builders.

Performance and handling. Well its no Vette or F-body but the Monaro its Austrailian based twin was built to handle while being a global Catera-Commadore based chassis. The car is a bit portly at 3660 curb weight but you 03 Cobra guys have seen that high curb weights don't mean that the car can't handle or accelerate.

Yes 350hp won't blow Cobra's or Vette's away it will hold its own. The LS1 is still a potent powerplant with lots of aftermarket support. And contrary to some popular belief the LS1 is by no means "old dino tech" in fact its as current and advanced as any modular Ford engines. Don't judge a engines technical accomplishments on its valvetrain layout. DOHC is by no means new, its been around as long as pushrods. Just a different way to do things. No its not supercharged from the factory but thats not GM's cup of tea. Truth be known Ford was tired of being out gunned and since they knew the prospects of taking on GM N/A to N/A was not going to fall in their favor and the developemnt cost to make the 4.6 and 5.4L motors run like the LS1-LS6-Vortech engines was too much to spare. They decided to go the supercharged route. Again just another school of thought.

To close yea most of you who can drive worth your weight will take out GTO's left and right. But you'll beat M3's too, and yet people love those and care less if they can't beat a Cobra. From a Ford standpoint its good news that GM feels there is still interest in this small segment of the auto scene. It give a troubled Ford more reason to keep making the Mustang and keeping its power up.

From a GM standpoint this is the begining of a few performance oriented cars due to come. This GTO will bridge the gap from the F-body to a new All American GTO and maybe a sister Chevelle from Chevy. If this all goes well GM could let loose a new Camaro in time for its 40th anniversary.

New22003

Established Member
think gm might be going for the traditional muscle car more than a pony car with the new GTO after all it never was considered a pony car like a stang or a sports car like the vette. A comfy car that can seat 4 happily and run 14's is great for the family man.

Users who are viewing this thread