Koenigsegg breaks the record for fastest production car, 277.9mph

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Was stuck in Vegas Saturday afternoon due to a delayed flight home from SEMA, and didn't hear about this until it was too late. Would have loved to head out there and see this in person, too bad they kept it quiet until it was happening.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Also, the FGT was considered by the FIA to be an production car with only a few press cars built by the time the car started running in GTLM and GTE Pro.

Rules can be bent and broken with enough money lining the right pockets. The whole Ford GT thing was a bunch of bullshit too. Still is.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Geez, that is pretty incredible. It did look like the road was slightly downhill though but maybe I am just crazy.

If it was downhill on that run, it was uphill on the next. Ran in both directions to account for that and the wind and then averaged the runs

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
No, it's still NOT a production car.

FIA requires at least 25 exact copies to be built within a 12 month period. While they have sold 25 RS's, they haven't built 25. Production started over a year ago.

Koenigsegg has a history of this type of false claim.
Keyword FIA. They are not the end all, be on the definition. They are just one of a few governing bodies who are mostly known for racing anyways.

"The characteristics of a production vehicle or production car are mass-produced identical models, offered for sale to the public, and able to be legally driven on public roads (street legal). Legislation and other rules further define the production vehicle within particular countries or uses. There is no single fixed global definition of the term.

A Volkswagen assembly line in 1960 at Wolfsburg

Origin

DefinitionsEdit

MotorsportsEdit

Main articles: Production car racing and Stock car racing

1956 Chrysler 300-B Stock car

FIA definitionsEdit

There have been numerous disputes over what constituted production and modified cars when used in motorsports. Even under Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile(FIA), the exact definition of what was (or was not) a production car was unclear and controversial, which led to rules written in 1955.[11] Although the term is defined for particular types of vehicles, and that a certain number of a model must be produced in order to qualify as "production", it is another matter to enforce the rules.[11] For example, the 1968 FIA rules state that "production" for sports cars need to have at least 25 identical cars produced within a 12-month period and they were meant for normal sale to individual purchasers.[12] However, FIA rules tend to allow a degree of modification from the original."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_vehicle

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVTFastBack

Established Member
I think the old air force hangar burnt down. I remember a story that early on, their factory caught fire. By the time the firefighters and Christian himself showed up, workers who live near by were already there and running in and out of the building, grabbing molds, blueprints, etc.

I men't what they accomplished in house and not out sourcing, I know they have been in a new facility but from what I read and understood is that the hangar ran out of room and they added another facility to enlarge production capabilities in house. Doesn't matter, anyway you look at it they are some of the most badafing bred stallions anyone could ever have in a garage and get nothing but pure satisfaction just looking at it knowing the work one company did to get it all right....... that is, post Top Gear where no Aero made no lappy and developing their own power plant even if it was Ford based in the start.. lol. I did see an Koenigsegg around the 105 being followed by a couple of guard trucks which ended up being Leno a little ways back with Christian riding shotgun. Will say I love seeing Leno tho, you see him normally driving with the posse, but they do get defensive really quick if you get shady which was nice to see. Watched someone cut off the XJ220 crossing from far left pool lane all way to an off ramp and I don't think I've ever had a heart beat skip like that before.. he just rubbed it off like, that's everyday L.A for you.

Last edited:

coremaster21

Established Member
If it was downhill on that run, it was uphill on the next. Ran in both directions to account for that and the wind and then averaged the runs

They did two runs, one in each direction. They built Bugatti's numbers driving technically uphill and INTO the wind. Now that's an ultimate mic drop.

Gotcha. I skipped ahead so I only saw the one, my fault.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Keyword FIA. They are not the end all, be on the definition. They are just one of a few governing bodies who are mostly known for racing anyways.

Then who sets the standard? You? Koenigsegg? I say a race sanctioning body is better than anyone else.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Here is the update from them!

A Koenigsegg Agera RS driven by factory driver, Niklas Lilja, achieved five new world records for a production vehicle on November 4th, 2017, in Pahrump, Nevada:

THE HIGHEST TOP SPEED FOR A PRODUCTION VEHICLE

Calculated using an average of two runs, one in either direction. The record speed achieved is 446.97 km/h (277.87 mph)

0-400-0 km/h

The 0-400-0 km/h run was completed in 33.29 seconds, beating the previous time of 36.44 seconds set by the same car in Denmark in October 2017.

FLYING KILOMETER ON A PUBLIC ROAD

The highest average speed for a flying kilometer on a public road, calculated after running the car in two directions – 445.54 km/h (276.9 mph)

FLYING MILE ON A PUBLIC ROAD

The highest average speed for a flying mile on a public road, calculated after running the car in two directions – 444.66 km/h (276.36 mph)

HIGHEST SPEED ACHIEVED ON A PUBLIC ROAD

Single direction recorded. Measured at 457.49 km/h (284.55 mph)

——

The Agera RS used for the record is the same car used by Koenigsegg to record the 0-400-0 km/h record announced in October 2017.

http://www.koenigsegg.com/koenigsegg-agera-rs-achieves-multiple-production-car-world-speed-records/

Coiled03

Established Member
Then who sets the standard? You? Koenigsegg? I say a race sanctioning body is better than anyone else.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seriously, who gives a shit what the FIA thinks about production vehicles? If it weren't for F1 and a few other high profile racing series', nobody would even know it exists.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
That's crazy when you think about it.
At 270+ mph, he covered the flying mile in less than 15 seconds.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Well everyone else seems to think it counts as a production vehicle here except you. I guess the Mclaren F1 was never a production vehicle either since they only made 106 over a 6 year span, 28 of which were racecars. So therefore it never held the production speed record when it was out. From memory, I think they only made a handful each year.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
ALSO!

Whilst not a record, it should also be noted that the Agera RS also recorded a time of 9.96 seconds for the Quarter Mile during this run, which is extremely fast for a production car on a public road.

^This was during the 0-400-0

mrlrd1

Established Member
Well everyone else seems to think it counts as a production vehicle here except you.

That doesn't make my statement wrong.

I guess the Mclaren F1 was never a production vehicle either since they only made 106 over a 6 year span, 28 of which were racecars. So therefore it never held the production speed record when it was out. From memory, I think they only made a handful each year.

Wikipedia: McLaren F1 said:
Record claims
The title of "world's fastest production road car" was constantly in contention, especially because the term "production car" is not well-defined.

Thanks for playing.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That doesn't make my statement wrong.

Thanks for playing.
Says in your own statement "is not well defined". Apparently a lot of people dont take the FIA's definition seriously. Mclaren and Koenigsegg are both very relavant manufacturers. Koenigsegg has been building cars for over 20 years which is a long time for a premium hypercar manufacturer. They aren't a brand like Bugatti that has a century plus old history and name recognition like no other. Being around for two decades in the industry but refusing to call them a manufacturer would be to do them a disservice, especially since they have developed systems that are revolutionizing the way vehicles operate, both in safety and performance.

Users who are viewing this thread