Koenigsegg Regera

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
This thing is absolutely ridiculous.

From Car & Driver:

Koenigsegg has built fewer cars during its entire existence than Ferrari produces in a single week, and yet the Swedish hypercar manufacturer has become disproportionally adept at winning headlines. Take for example the Regera, the company’s all-new model and a car that makes the 1341-hp One:1 that we drove not long ago look slightly underpowered.

The figures are somewhere beyond being merely intimidating. The Regera follows the example set by the McLaren P1, the Ferrari LaFerrari, and the Porsche 918 by using a hybrid drivetrain, albeit one completely unlike anything we’ve seen before. It uses both a twin-turbocharged 5.0-liter V-8 engine and three electric motors for a total combined output of 1.11 megawatts, which converts to 1509 metric horsepower—or 1489 horsepower on America’s SAE measuring stick. Koenigsegg claims the 0-to-400-kph (249 mph) acceleration time of less than 20 seconds makes the Regera—Swedish for “to reign”—the fastest-accelerating car in the world.

And now on to the drivetrain. The gasoline side features the novel Koenigsegg Direct Drive transmission: In effect, a single-speed gear reduction for the mighty V-8 engine. Between the engine and the 2.85:1 rear final drive there’s no conventional gearbox, just a hydraulic coupling that, when closed, links the two directly. Below 30 mph, this can slip slightly, but it isn’t a proper clutch and won’t provide propulsion at very low speeds where the Regera relies instead on its electric motors. Above 30 mph, the Regera’s engine speed and wheel speed rise in direct proportion, with the engine’s 8250-rpm redline corresponding to the top speed of 249 mph. (Honda’s Accord hybrid and Accord plug-in hybrid use single-speed transmissions that are similar in concept, although we wouldn’t be surprised if Christian von Koenigsegg wasn’t even aware of the existence of those 114-mph family sedans.)

Koenigsegg Direct Drive might sound like the solution to a nonexistent problem, but the company claims that the lack of a conventional gearbox both saves weight and reduces the power lost to the driveline by over 50 percent compared to a traditional transmission. And the electric motors provide the ability to fill in where the V-8 is producing less power and also to add extra performance on top of it, all the way to the Regera’s top speed. There are three YASA axial flux motors, which are lighter than the more common radial flux motors. Two 241-hp versions drive the rear wheels—and provide torque vectoring—and a 215-hp motor on the crankshaft supplies torque fill and also acts as both a generator and a starter motor.

:uh oh:

10splaya22

Established Member
Wow, never would have thought of the direct drive motor working that well but it makes sense on paper. Time will tell if it actually works as intended. Based on Koenigsegg's history it should be a monster though.

Z06

Established Member
Koenigsegg Regera (No Tranny)

dnqaghgw90h5cla4v21k.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/koenigsegg-will-sell-you-a-car-without-a-transmission-f-1689101650

Z06

Established Member
I would love to see a video of how that drivetrain works. Awesome machinery!

Blown 89

Established Member
Looks awesome but I can't help but think the horsepower wars have gone too high. One of the articles I read this morning said its times are hampered by traction.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Wow I like this setup even more then what both Ferrari and McLaren are offering. I'm sure koeniggsegg has at least raised an eye brow or two at those companies.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Looks awesome but I can't help but think the horsepower wars have gone too high. One of the articles I read this morning said its times are hampered by traction.

I wonder if having that one really tall gear (it takes it all the way up to its 249 mph top speed) helps with that.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Electric motor torque fill really needs to catch on in the sports car industry. This system sounds awesome, but I think McLaren is currently on the best track with the P1.

Users who are viewing this thread