Koni Sport Yellows - install question

cheeser

Established Member
When installing the fronts struts, should I install bump stops , and the dust boots from the old struts? The instructions and videos I have seen online don’t seem to show them in the installation. In looking at other performance struts (Ford Performance / Bilstein), they appear to use them

I purchased the Ford Jounce kit and will use the rear ones, and assumed I should use fronts as well.

GModder

Established Member
I did mine 2 yrs. ago and had the same question at the time. It seemed to me to add the dust boot and the bump stop from your FRPP jounce kit. It's gotta help.

cheeser

Established Member
I did mine 2 yrs. ago and had the same question at the time. It seemed to me to add the dust boot and the bump stop from your FRPP jounce kit. It's gotta help.

Thanks...that's what I thought, but wanted to see if others had any issues with that.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely install the FP jounce bumpers. You can use your old dust boots but if you don't want to disassemble your strut package you can buy shorter replacement units (the stock boots will have the accordian section compressed with lowering springs.

Get the KYB SB111 boot/bellows but don't use the bumper that comes with it. This is the same boot that comes with the Ford P and K springs.

The boot has a little ridge near the top that will ride in the notch of the FP bumper.

cheeser

Established Member
Thanks Coz...just what I was looking for. I was planning on disassembling the strut for the lower mount that I need for the MM caster/camber plates and was thinking of just reusing my old dust boot.

Looks like I will take your advice and buy the KYB SB111 boot. Will check on a new set of strut mounts (I need to find the p/n) as well...can just keep my existing struts assembled if I ever need to reuse them.

cheeser

Established Member
Thanks...glad I was able to find these other pieces as well for my install. Wish AmericanMuscle, where I bought the struts/springs, had this as part of recommended parts. I also went ahead and purchased new hardware...unsure which pieces are one time use per Ford, but thought it wouldn't hurt to have all new hardware as well.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Hmm I reinstalled the stuff from my stock struts when installing my Yellows, might be a good idea to go back in there and replace it with the proper hardware.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
I think Ford upgraded the spindle to strut bolts in the later years of the S197. Torque spec for those bolts is 166 ft/lbs.

cheeser

Established Member
Received my KYB SB111 dustboots today and did a quick test. It looks like the boots are about a 1/4" larger than the diameter of the strut...not a snug fit. I haven't pull the original struts out yet to provide an example of fit. Didn't know if I should just leave the lowers loose or try zip tying them.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
The boots are not meant to be a snug fit on the struts. The stock ones aren't either. With the SB111 you attach the boot to the Ford Performance bumper. Discard the bumper that comes with the SB111. It is a snug fit. The ridge on the inside top of the smooth sleeve portion of the boot will fit onto the indentation/valley in the middle of the bumper. The flat part of the bumper is at the top and the rounded portion is toward the ground.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
See page 2 of these Eibach instructions

Attachments

• Eibach Sportline intructions d2410.pdf
    577 KB · Views: 367

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Here is a pic with a different boot with the wrong way on the left, and the correct way on the right. On the boot in the picture, there is a 1/8" ridge that is raised. On the SB111, the ridge in that same location is sunken and will snap into the groove in the jounce bumper.

Once the strut is installed and the car is riding on the suspension, the bottom of the boot will be pressed against the struts spring perch.

Attachments

• Am I putting this strut_spring together right Ford Mustang Forum (8).jpg
    Am I putting this strut_spring together right Ford Mustang Forum (8).jpg
    155 KB · Views: 161

cheeser

Established Member
Thanks for the help...didn’t have these instructions in the kit...just the generic Koni paper. Just wanted to make sure I understood everything before I started tearing it apart during one of the upcoming weekends.

Looks like a pretty easy install., but it’s always the little things that will get you.

Now I’m looking for a local alignment shop that is comfortable with the Maximum Motorsports CC plates as those instructions state adjustments need to be made with both wheels off the ground...seems like a bit of lift, adjust, lower, check, repeat until done.

cheeser

Established Member
Install went fine with the included Konis and Eibach Pro kit. The most difficult part seems to be assembling the struts and keeping the strut mount together when using a pair of spring compressors...I hate those little ball bearings. Glad I purchase a pair of new mounts though...allowed me to keep the original set assembled.

20180505_164752 (1024x768).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread