L vs Tiburon

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
Ran into a Tiburon (sp?) today. He was running kinda hot thru traffic so I proceeded to follow. Got to a light and asked if he wanted to run. He said he ran 13.9 and asked what I ran. Said I've never taken it to the track, although I have. We found a clear spot and he insisted on running from a dig. I spun my nuts off, but was able to pedal through it and beat him by 3 or 4 cars to 70mph and pulling. We turned around and did it from a roll. He gave me about a half car lead and the move. :shrug: Took him again pretty bad.

Question. Does Hyundai (sp?) make a "fast" Tiburon or was this guy on crack? It had a factory looking decal on the rear that said something like "ST" but not for sure because I didn't spend much time looking at the back of his ride.;-) He seemed pretty cool and his car wasn't all riced out. All in all seemed like a decent guy. Anyways, chalking another import kill up to the L.:thumbsup:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Originally posted by Spritle

Question. Does Hyundai (sp?) make a "fast" Tiburon or was this guy on crack?

Only they'er Ralley versions with a 2.0L 4 cyl turbo pushing 299 HP with restrictor in the turbo housing to keep it at 299 HP. Also have AWD but thats just it its a full blown compitition version not for the street.

A Fuzzy Bunny

Future Banned Member
Established Member
There is no "fast" Tiburon currently in production. V6 stang and FBods hand them their ass all day. He must be modded to shit with a power adder to run 13.9. Nice kill

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
my friend has an '03 Gtv6. i think i read that they run 16.0 or something on top end it pulls kinda hard, but other than that its not too impressive.
the earlier years ('02- beginnin) were all 4cyls and i know nothing of them.
JD

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Tiburon's are NOT fast. My girlfriend smokes them all the time in her Integra. I think a 170 Hp V6 is their top model engine for that car. Although, for $18K, they're not too bad. However, I think I'd rather have an SVT Focus.

juicius

Established Member
One of the magazines had a shootout with bunch of cars modded to hell and back, and there was a dual-engine, dual turbo Tiburon that shamed pretty much everything on the field in the straight line. They dyno'ed it at well over 600 HP, if I recall correctly. And being dual-engine (one turbo-charged engine for each pair of wheels), it was AWD. It ran 10.69. Not likely to see one of those on the road though. You can see the clip here:

Dual-engine Tiburon

Of course, that's nothing to Shep's street-driven, street-tire 8 sec 1/4 mile DSM. You will run across this one on the street, if you're lucky/unlucky enough. That's 0-122 in 5.8 sec with 0-60 time of about 1.8 sec. See the clip here .

Users who are viewing this thread