Lame, But I Was Pissed...

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
sooo this morning i was on the way to work as normal. biker cop is on my ass and i mean the guy was damn near 2 feet to the side of my rear 1/4 panel :shrug: i mean he rode damn near like this for 4 or 5 miles :eek: . now i was under the speed limit by 2 or 3 mph and when a cop gets right behind me i always get a little nervous, why i dont know. then he proceeds to pass me and do the same thing to the next car in front :shrug: my question is this, why? is this a common thing i just saw or what :shrug: i thought tailgating was b/s.,

Lawman85

Banned
He could be reading your tag, looking to see if your wearing a seatbelt, trying to get to another call....etc... Hard to say exactly, no one else was there.

Was he directly behind you in the same lane or in the lane next to you?

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
He could be reading your tag, looking to see if your wearing a seatbelt, trying to get to another call....etc... Hard to say exactly, no one else was there.

well like i said it was a lame post, but i mean it was very close, i can read a tag from a good distance. wouldnt he pull me over for the seat belt? i even let the window down in the process. i dont know his reason for it but if i had to hit the brakes, swerve or somthing it would have caused a very bad scene.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Lawman85 said:

you hit the nail on the head on that statement. i mean less than 2 ft. i could see the whites in his eyes :D no i am not kidding..
Was he directly behind you in the same lane or in the lane next to you?

^^^^^^^^^^^

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I have seen this many a time as well. The cop cars usually come flying up 2ft. from the bumper. You don't need to be 2 feet from their rear-end to read a license plate. And if they even felt like hitting the brakes....booom. And it's all the cops fault.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
bigdog93lx said:
I have seen this many a time as well. The cop cars usually come flying up 2ft. from the bumper. You don't need to be 2 feet from their rear-end to read a license plate. And if they even felt like hitting the brakes....booom. And it's all the cops fault.

that is what i was thinking. i would not ramble, but i thought it was too close for a long period of time.

sbro712

Established Member
Might have wanted you to get out of his way. I know when I get right on a car's bumper it is because I am on a call that does not require lights and siren but I still need to get to quickly, I will get right up on a car so that it will hopefully move out of my way.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
sbro712 said:
Might have wanted you to get out of his way. I know when I get right on a car's bumper it is because I am on a call that does not require lights and siren but I still need to get to quickly, I will get right up on a car so that it will hopefully move out of my way.

My dad did that once and the cop pulled over behind him. The cops in some towns will do this to make you nervous so you make a mistake and they get to pull you over.

IMO, if a police officer needs to get by you, he should flip on his lights. Regardless of what call he is on. If I can get pulled over for tailgating, then he shouldn't be doing it to me.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
sbro712 said:

well i thought about that, but the siren would have motivated me a little more.

sbro712

Established Member
bbp42d said:
well i thought about that, but the siren would have motivated me a little more.

What I have seen in all my years of piloting a squad car is that lights and sirens have the opposite effect on most people.

I can't tell you how many times I have run code 3 to a call and been forced to drive around people...because they see the flashing lights, get stupid, and stop in the lane instead of pulling to the right like they are supposed. And that assumes they even see the lights and hear the sirens....with all the TV screens and booming stereos in cars these days, my equipment has little chance of being seen/heard.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
sbro712 said:
What I have seen in all my years of piloting a squad car is that lights and sirens have the opposite effect on most people.

I can't tell you how many times I have run code 3 to a call and been forced to drive around people...because they see the flashing lights, get stupid, and stop in the lane instead of pulling to the right like they are supposed. And that assumes they even see the lights and hear the sirens....with all the TV screens and booming stereos in cars these days, my equipment has little chance of being seen/heard.

+1

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
true about sometimes you dont hear the sirens. i mean i'm usually pretty lucky and if i'm in the left lane i happen to look back and see a cop way far back with his/her lights on and i have a chance to move over. but i've just been lucky i mean i rarely check the rearview mirror. and i've seen it so many times on the interstate a cop will come flying down doing 80+ in the left lane and you have some dickhead in the left lane not getting over, even if the officer doesnt have his lights on i usually get out of his/her way cause i figure if they are doing 80+ there is somewhere they need to be.

on a side note my brother got pulled over awhile ago for obstructing traffic or something like that for driving in the left lane (stay right as much as possible) and he said the officer was riding pretty close for a while and in that situation you would usually get over to the right.

but yea i think if an officer needs to get somewhere whether the call calls for sirens or not i think they should be used.

Lawman85

Banned
TurdFerguson said:
but yea i think if an officer needs to get somewhere whether the call calls for sirens or not i think they should be used.

It's nice you think that, but if you aren't allowed to use them for that particular call, then you can't.. Lights and sirens cause more wrecks than anything.... people's I.Q.'s drop about 100 points when you turn the blue lights on...

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
It's nice you think that, but if you aren't allowed to use them for that particular call, then you can't.. Lights and sirens cause more wrecks than anything.... people's I.Q.'s drop about 100 points when you turn the blue lights on...

well my I.Q. dropped then, i guess you learn somthing new everyday. thanks for the info...

btw i would have asked my dad, but he is in kosovo right now.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Lawman85 said:

Lawman is right, officers are guided by General Orders that are very specific as to what you can use emergency equipment for.

sexystang1994

5.0 Slut
Established Member
I think it's probably just a Volusia County sheriff thing because I've been pulled over 3 times already this year for bullshit things. I'm surprised he didn't pull you over! One sheriff pulled me over last month for a LIGHT BULB in my rear tailight (ticket was 78 bucks)! Another pulled me over because I apparantly "was following too closely" yeah okay, like I would tailgait a cop! :bs:

They just wanted to make sure I had insurance or some lame excuse to pull me over. :cuss:

Last edited:

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Do you mean a lightbulb out in your taillights? That is a valid stop. And so is following too closely.

Police officers dont find B S reasons to pull you over to look at your insurance. That would be rediculous. However, we do use minor infractions to initiate the stop which will often lead into bigger things like drugs, warrants and weapons.

sexystang1994

5.0 Slut
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
Do you mean a lightbulb out in your taillights? That is a valid stop. And so is following too closely.

Police officers dont find B S reasons to pull you over to look at your insurance. That would be rediculous. However, we do use minor infractions to initiate the stop which will often lead into bigger things like drugs, warrants and weapons.

Yes, my taillight was out. The point was, I wasn't even speeding and TWO separate police cars pulled me over for a damn lightbulb!! I even had one in my trunk to swap it out. That didn't matter, they still gave me a ticket for 78 bucks. It's not like it'd been out for a long time too; I honestly didn't know it was out. It must have gone out that day or so because I'm constantly checking my car and making sure everything is running well (like checking the oil, coolant, etc). I don't know, it just sucked and I felt I should have at least gotten a warning or something.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Floridalawdog said:

And if none are found, then you issue the citation for the petty infraction instead of giving a warning to fix it now or get a ticket tomorrow. I understand that it is still against the law to operate a vehicle without both lights, but this is one of the reasons that a lot of people are so pissed off at LEOs all the time. If you pulled over a car hoping to find bigger things and you don't, why can't you just say "Have a nice day ma'am/sir?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread