Laptop build question

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
I am looking to order a small notebook for easy carrying around. I wanted to order one today (Black Friday) but am not sure if "upping" the specs is worth it on such a little computer. I will list my questions in order and if I could get some help before I order I would really appreciate it. :beer:

1. The model I am looking to order is a HP Pavilion dm1z-4300 Notebook PC... Does anyone have experience with them? http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/B6E68AV;pgid=c7twGfjc0ptSRpIq7ZUcoGXQ0000odMv4P0I;sid=vLpMnTdn-caolWfI3a4XCe5otmHBNj28MREdc6t7tmHBNvEWMY8unOUc?HP-Pavilion-dm1z-4300-Notebook-PC

2. Switching from AMD Dual-Core Processor E1-1200 + AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7300 Series Discrete-Class Graphics Card to AMD Dual-Core Processor E2-1800 + AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7300 Series Discrete-Class Graphics Card is a $25.00 upcharge... Is that graphics card worth the $25.00 or should I just stay with what it comes with?

3. What RAM should I order? The options are 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB? 6GB is $50.00 more and 8GB is $100.00 more, is it worth it?

4. I can go from 320GB 5400rpm HS to a 500GB 5400 RPM for $40.00 more or a 500GB 7200RPM for $50.00 more... Is the RPM speed worth the extra price for the same 500GB memory?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate and and all help! :beer::rockon:

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
You have to let us know what you plan on doing with it. If you're just going to be using Microsoft Word and browsing Youtube, you will need a much different computer than if you were going to be using it for mild-medium graphic design and so forth.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
You have to let us know what you plan on doing with it. If you're just going to be using Microsoft Word and browsing Youtube, you will need a much different computer than if you were going to be using it for mild-medium graphic design and so forth.

This will be a simpleton laptop for use... Mostly MS Office use, SVTP browsing, and the occasional dicking around with RC Tycoon or a Flash game, and watching a DVD. I just want something fast, easy to carry, and small... That is why I am looking below a 12" screen.

I have a bigger laptop for photo editing and playing games.

Thanks for any help you can offer Kyle! :beer:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
If you're not doing any graphic design, heavy media streaming, heavy gaming, etc, don't get any upgrade. The most useful upgrade to you would be the 500gb 5400 rpm hard drive in case you want to put on some extra music/videos, but even then, I doubt you'll need it if it is just something simple to mess around on.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
If you're not doing any graphic design, heavy media streaming, heavy gaming, etc, don't get any upgrade. The most useful upgrade to you would be the 500gb 5400 rpm hard drive in case you want to put on some extra music/videos, but even then, I doubt you'll need it if it is just something simple to mess around on.

+1 Dont spend more money if you are not going to utilize it to its full potential.

w00t

woot! leet speak!
Established Member
A few years ago I bought an Acer netbook on one of the "Black Friday" specials for the exact reasons you listed. While it was a simple computer for my basic needs, once I got an iPad I never used my Netbook and ended up giving it to my sister.

If you don't own a tablet device, I would highly recommend at least looking at that option before purchasing a second computer. Just my .02

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I would never waste money on upgrades through the business trying to sell them. An average person can upgrade the memory and hard drive. It's barely any difference then unscrewing a plat on a device and changing the batteries. Most laps have these areas easily accessible.

They will charge you 50 dollars to upgrade something you could do for 20.

5400RPM hard drive is SLOW compared to what you can put in there today. A 120GB SSD can be had for around 60$ now and is easily the most efficient part to upgrade today. You will notice a huge difference over this VS memory upgrade. You don't really need anything beyond 4GB for general use. 8GB would be optimal. Memory is dirt cheap to upgrade as well.

Users who are viewing this thread