Latest Boss Info

Fourcam330

Established Member
Major turmoil over at the Ford camp is causing major changes as I'm sure you can imagine.
As of now the 5.0L/4V revised Modular based engines used in the '10 Mustang GT will have direct injection (but not initially), VVT, a revised aluminum block with longer sleeves to accomodate the longer stroke, a and 3.6X" bore. Weight reduction is also part of the new Stangs future. Expect the new GT with 5.0L to check in around 3550-3600lbs. Ford is also testing a twin turbo version of the 5.0/4V motor though production is doubtful. A version of the N/A 5.0 4v is also being tested for duty in the F-series. Making 360hp it will tuned more for tq than HP.
6.2s Boss V8s are now relegated to truck only duty. As for the Boss line of engines, they are 2V/OHC iron block, with plans for an Al version, displacements ranging from 5.8-7.0L, possibly 4V heads, and twin turbo versions are being tested. The Fe block weighs 211 pounds and will definitely be used in the F series. It has 102 mm (4.015") bores on 115 mm spacing. It does NOT have siamese cylinders. It DOES have under piston oil squirters. The main journals are ~ 75 mm diameter and the bulkheads are pretty thick. As for bore/sroke that's approx. 4.015"x3.73" for the 6.2.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
A 380hp 5.4 4v sounds nice to me. They need to make this an all aluminum motor, with decent fuel mileage and put it in the Mustang GT as soon as possible. With the competition coming from Chevy and Dodge, Ford is likely going to be way behind in horsepower again. Now, that didn't hurt them in sales in the past and may not again, but I know the enthusiasts would like Ford to give the Mustang some more power. 380hp in the GT would mean 400hp+ in special edition stangs. With the current weight of the GT, that would be pretty darn nice. Of course Ford will probably have to add IRS in the future because of the Camaro and Challenger and that will add some weight.

Any of ya'll agree with this?

Fourcam330

Established Member
Formula51 said:
A 380hp 5.4 4v sounds nice to me. They need to make this an all aluminum motor, with decent fuel mileage and put it in the Mustang GT as soon as possible. With the competition coming from Chevy and Dodge, Ford is likely going to be way behind in horsepower again. Now, that didn't hurt them in sales in the past and may not again, but I know the enthusiasts would like Ford to give the Mustang some more power. 380hp in the GT would mean 400hp+ in special edition stangs. With the current weight of the GT, that would be pretty darn nice. Of course Ford will probably have to add IRS in the future because of the Camaro and Challenger and that will add some weight.

Any of ya'll agree with this?

Sorry if I wasn't very clear in my first post. The 5.4 4v will be the Boss special edition motor, it's not slated for any other S197 application. Eventually in MY '10 or '11 the S197 (Mustang GT) will get the 5.8L Boss engine, not the 6.2 as was previously stated.
So the 5.4 4v is more of a holdover than anything else.

chuckstang

Established Member
yawn
Im glad Im holding out for a gt500 over a slow boss mustang,
unless it has an aluminum block and weighs under 3500, I am not interested!

redline

Established Member
sometimes i think ford is trying to push or steer ford people into buying other brand autos.but really its the dealerships that do that by their stupid mark ups in pricing.i believe i read a few months back that chevy was gonna make like 100000 camaros . kinda hard to mark that up . i know they will not be all ss or z28..but thats competition and choices .

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
wow late 2010 or early 2011? Oh well i guess im going to save up for the new challenger then. Ford really needs to step up to the plate.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
redline said:
i believe i read a few months back that chevy was gonna make like 100000 camaros . kinda hard to mark that up . i know they will not be all ss or z28..but thats competition and choices .
That's not all that great compared with 150,000+ mustangs were built per year for the last couple years.

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
Ford is already using that engine in Australia in the FPV Falcon. I know that this topic has probably already been discussed, but that engine would make sense if the new Boss engine line is not ready. Ford AU calls this engine the "Boss 260" and it is based on the '00 Cobra R engine, making 380hp.

We are excited that Ford might put this engine in a Mustang, now imagine having it in a 4dr.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137385392589&pagename=Page&c=DFYPage

Black86

Established Member
What is wrong with Ford? By 10-11 the Hurricane will have been in development for what? 7-8 years? No other company takes that long to build a motor. they aren't re-inventing the damn thing..:cuss:

Those GT's are going to be getting killed by both e Dodge and the Camaro with it's little 300 horse 4.6 until the Hurricane/Boss arrives..

Gm has a 6.0 and a 6.2, Dodge has the 6.1, Ford as usual will be late to the party and with the smallest engine. Why can't they set aside 20k 6.2's a year for the Mustang?:rollseyes

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
wildosvt04 said:
When did Ford get the rights to use BOSS?
There really hasn't been anything that I've seen documented showing Ford can't use it. It's been used on the Australian 5.4 for quite a while. Not sure if they've worked something out with the Shinoda camp or what the story is... Anyone have any info on that?

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Major turmoil over at the Ford camp is causing major changes as I'm sure you can imagine.
As of now the 5.8L Boss engines are slated for Mustangs but not until MY '10 earliest maybe '11. 6.2s are now relegated to truck only duty.
The new push for the Boss, and most at Ford don't even know about it, is back to a 5.4 4v using GT/GT500 heads and a new intake. Obviously this would be the most cost effective route for a SE that's supposed to come to market in the near future. Evidently they've made 380hp (not sure if its rw or flywheel) with off the shelf cams and this motor.
There is still zero chance of a big bore modular 5.0 ending up in the Boss SE.
Sorry for all the changing info but it's the price you pay when you want the most current info vs. waiting.

when is the BOSS special edition supposed to hit? 09?

i have also heard that the bullitt will be here in 08.

chuckstang

Established Member
boss, bullit stangs, sound like all marketing so far.
Unless they strip weight, these cars will be very slow compared to the comp.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
chuckstang said:
boss, bullit stangs, sound like all marketing so far.
Unless they strip weight, these cars will be very slow compared to the comp.

the bullitt will be like the shelby gt. the boss was delayed to "do it right", because of this i dont think we will see the boss mustang. untill 10 with or without the redesign. and now it sounds like this is the timetable for the boss engines now as well.

is ford having trouble with 09 emission testing with these new motors? is that the reason for the delay? when will see these engines in the f150? the new 900 series gmc with the 6.0 looks very tempting at this point in time.

I spoke to Rich,at shelby america today in vegas.He stated that the new body style mustang will be out in 2009. They allready view it at shelby american. It will kinda resimble the mustang that we seen in Eurpoe,it was a orange looking in color. It will be a 4 seater but allmost resemble that car that we seen on the net. I allso inquired about the Boss-302,he stated to me it will be released in 2007,late,and will be a one year run,and only 1000-Boss 302's will be produced. Ford will put the 5.0-Hurricane engine in it,and around 400-plus HP,from his understanding. Rich allso stated get in line because Ford will only manfacture 1000-units. We think the Shelby GT500 had a HIGH market value up grade. Well we haven't seen anything yet as far as dealers marketing over MSRP. The MSRP is not determined yet,but you know this unit will probable be in the range of the shelby,I'm guessing ,and yes you know that dealers will get a High Premium over that being that Ford will only manfacture 1000 units. Look at the 2007 Shelby GT500,probable at the end of the years run around 9000,units and look at those market ups. So you know that the Boss302 will have no less then $50,000.00 over that [MSRP],look what the Ford GT[supercar-40] was sold for over MSRP,from $100,000.00 over MSRP,selling for no less then $250,000.00,and MSRP was around $156,00.00 loaded. So I can only imagine what this gready dealers will ask for this unit. The new body style will change for the 2009 Year. So thats the info.,i got today. Well we'll see.Theres a 07/ shelby gt500,in Ville-Platte,Louisiana.[337]-363-2154-F/S. the price I'm not sure they called me and offered it to me but i allready bought mind for MSRP. If interested call and ask for[Angie]-or [Kenith Fontenot-he's my second cousin,you can use me as a referal if you want with Kennith] and no I'm not making a kick back on it. It's a coupe-White/Blue-Lemans-Stripes and loaded out wiith all options,so the MSRP should be $45,060.00-plus taxes and title and filling fees. You never know what they will sell it for,being a small dealer in a small Town.Just thought i let you guys know and maybe it can find a home to some-one on this site.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Randy Fontenot said:
I spoke to Rich,at shelby america today in vegas.He stated that the new body style mustang will be out in 2009. They allready view it at shelby american. It will kinda resimble the mustang that we seen in Eurpoe,it was a orange looking in color. It will be a 4 seater but allmost resemble that car that we seen on the net. I allso inquired about the Boss-302,he stated to me it will be released in 2007,late,and will be a one year run,and only 1000-Boss 302's will be produced. Ford will put the 5.0-Hurricane engine in it,and around 400-plus HP,from his understanding. Rich allso stated get in line because Ford will only manfacture 1000-units.

randy start using paragraghs that break up your statements. its too hard to read.

this info you just stated is wrong, as it was the info in motor trend. ford will not release 5.0 engine in the new mustang, at least not in the near future. the 5.0 that is being released is nothing more than the crate engine for sale by frpp. i have no idea of the production # for this crate motor. the boss mustang will not be out for at least 2 more years as a 2009 or 2010 mustang. this boss mustang as stated above will have the new 5.8 or 6.2 in it.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread