Latest Boss Info

Fourcam330

Established Member
Joe Frito said:
Ford is already using that engine in Australia in the FPV Falcon. I know that this topic has probably already been discussed, but that engine would make sense if the new Boss engine line is not ready. Ford AU calls this engine the "Boss 260" and it is based on the '00 Cobra R engine, making 380hp.

We are excited that Ford might put this engine in a Mustang, now imagine having it in a 4dr.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137385392589&pagename=Page&c=DFYPage

That's not an R motor. The Boss 260/290 motors use generic 03/04 heads with specific cams and a specific intake that somewhat mirrors the '00R manifold.

Below is a pic taken by Paul/Birdman941 at Al's shop of a Boss intake (left) next to a '00R (right) casting:

IMG_0973.gif

Fourcam330

Established Member
Randy Fontenot said:
I spoke to Rich,at shelby america today in vegas.He stated that the new body style mustang will be out in 2009. They allready view it at shelby american. It will kinda resimble the mustang that we seen in Eurpoe,it was a orange looking in color. It will be a 4 seater but allmost resemble that car that we seen on the net. I allso inquired about the Boss-302,he stated to me it will be released in 2007,late,and will be a one year run,and only 1000-Boss 302's will be produced. Ford will put the 5.0-Hurricane engine in it,and around 400-plus HP,from his understanding. Rich allso stated get in line because Ford will only manfacture 1000-units. We think the Shelby GT500 had a HIGH market value up grade. Well we haven't seen anything yet as far as dealers marketing over MSRP. The MSRP is not determined yet,but you know this unit will probable be in the range of the shelby,I'm guessing ,and yes you know that dealers will get a High Premium over that being that Ford will only manfacture 1000 units. Look at the 2007 Shelby GT500,probable at the end of the years run around 9000,units and look at those market ups. So you know that the Boss302 will have no less then $50,000.00 over that [MSRP],look what the Ford GT[supercar-40] was sold for over MSRP,from $100,000.00 over MSRP,selling for no less then $250,000.00,and MSRP was around $156,00.00 loaded. So I can only imagine what this gready dealers will ask for this unit. The new body style will change for the 2009 Year. So thats the info.,i got today. Well we'll see.Theres a 07/ shelby gt500,in Ville-Platte,Louisiana.[337]-363-2154-F/S. the price I'm not sure they called me and offered it to me but i allready bought mind for MSRP. If interested call and ask for[Angie]-or [Kenith Fontenot-he's my second cousin,you can use me as a referal if you want with Kennith] and no I'm not making a kick back on it. It's a coupe-White/Blue-Lemans-Stripes and loaded out wiith all options,so the MSRP should be $45,060.00-plus taxes and title and filling fees. You never know what they will sell it for,being a small dealer in a small Town.Just thought i let you guys know and maybe it can find a home to some-one on this site.

Like Michael said, despite what Motor Trend says, there is no such thing as a 5.0L Hurricane, nor will a 5.0L of any type be used in the new Boss SE Stang. There is also no way a 2v N/A (as Boss motors are) 5.0L V8 from Ford is going to make an emissions legal 400-425HP from the factory. GM/Chevy require 6.0L+ to do it with very good heads.

Fourcam330

Established Member
JiggaStyles09 said:
when is the BOSS special edition supposed to hit? 09?

i have also heard that the bullitt will be here in 08.

The Boss keeps getting delayed. MY '09 is the best guess at this point.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Formula51 said:
A 380hp 5.4 4v sounds nice to me. They need to make this an all aluminum motor, with decent fuel mileage and put it in the Mustang GT as soon as possible. With the competition coming from Chevy and Dodge, Ford is likely going to be way behind in horsepower again. Now, that didn't hurt them in sales in the past and may not again, but I know the enthusiasts would like Ford to give the Mustang some more power. 380hp in the GT would mean 400hp+ in special edition stangs. With the current weight of the GT, that would be pretty darn nice. Of course Ford will probably have to add IRS in the future because of the Camaro and Challenger and that will add some weight.

Any of ya'll agree with this?

I doubt this will be an aluminum block engine, in fact I didn't even think to ask because IMO the chances are so slim. I'm guessing such a car (Boss SE) would check in around 3600-3650lbs without the blower/intercooler/associated hardware that the GT500 carries. That in addition to some minor weight reduction and lack of options should bring it down a tad compared to its blown bretherin.
Again, that's all just speculation on my part.

Black93Cobra

Established Member
crispy23c said:
Your opinion is like fact to me, Fourcam... ;-) Just wish there was better news on this

Agreed, I was hoping Ford would at least step up and offer a 5.8L Hurricane in the Boss Mustang but alas we get leftovers again. What is wrong with Ford? They should either produce a worthy Boss successor or not even bother. A iron block N/A 5.4L engine is the PERFECT Mach I engine but absolutely WRONG for the Boss. The architecture of the 5.4L is not conducive to high RPM use which is a characteristic of the original Boss 302 that must be provided in an the latest rendition. Sadly, it appears Ford has dissappointed me yet again (and likely for the very last time). An iron block 5.4L engine is too heavy and RPM limited to be under the hood of a Boss Mustang. As stated earlier, it sounds like a marketing gimick just to sell a few more cars to an uninformed public - nice job Ford :cuss:

Two schools of thought here, if Saleen can extract 400 hp from a stroked 4.6L in the PJ Saleen, why can't Ford?? :shrug: If that isn't an option, I'd rather see Ford offer the twin-turbo V6 Cyclone engine displayed in the MKR concept than a iron block 5.4L in the Boss. At least the curb weight and front to rear weight distribution would be better than if Ford used a heavy iron block 5.4L. Additionally, the HP would be better (it was rated at 415 hp in E85 ethanol trim)

Last edited:

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I'd now consider that 380 verified flywheel HP. ;-)

LOL You know how it works, they have time to up or lower the HP. I think they need more HP to compete with GM and Mopar.

Trust me they read these boards!

Tim:beer:

broeli

Established Member
Great..an underpowered, overweight, slapped together Boss. Good job Ford.

1FAFP90

Banned
ON D BIT said:
does saleen have to go through the same emissions testing as ford and other manufacturers?

I hope Saleen (and others) meets emission requirements because some municipalities require that cars pass yearly smog tests.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
maybe they get one of those emission exemption codes or something, like some aftermarket parts get.

Saleen is considered a manufacturer so their cars do have to pass emissions just like everyone elses.
Eric/snakecharmer just picked up a PJ Saleen a few weeks ago and seems to like it quite a bit. He says there's a noticable lope at idle vs. a Mustang GT. We can't seem to find anything on cam specs but they can't be that large if it needs to pass emissions.
The downfall to the PJ Saleen IMO are the 3v heads. Yes the car comes with 400 flywheel hp but you aren't going to make 400rwhp+ N/A anytime soon on pump gas even with the extra displacement. The heads simply don't flow well enough.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Saleen is considered a manufacturer so their cars do have to pass emissions just like everyone elses.
Eric/snakecharmer just picked up a PJ Saleen a few weeks ago and seems to like it quite a bit. He says there's a noticable lope at idle vs. a Mustang GT. We can't seem to find anything on cam specs but they can't be that large if it needs to pass emissions.
The downfall to the PJ Saleen IMO are the 3v heads. Yes the car comes with 400 flywheel hp but you aren't going to make 400rwhp+ N/A anytime soon on pump gas even with the extra displacement. The heads simply don't flow well enough.
ooOOoo, didnt know that. is this true for all companies that sell turn key modified cars? if so then, how do these companies pass emissions with modified engines from a company like ford that make a lot less power from that company(like ford)? the S281E is a good example, 550 horses out of a SC'd aluminum(if im not mistaken) 4.6l. now wouldnt an aluminum SC'd 4.6l making 500 horses take a good bit of weight off the front end of the GT500? and we can all agree that that is deffinately needed. i always thought most manufacturers increased displacement on top end models to meet the emissions at their target HP. marketing ploy? confusing stuff.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
ooOOoo, didnt know that. is this true for all companies that sell turn key modified cars? if so then, how do these companies pass emissions with modified engines from a company like ford that make a lot less power from that company(like ford)? the S281E is a good example, 550 horses out of a SC'd aluminum(if im not mistaken) 4.6l. now wouldnt an aluminum SC'd 4.6l making 500 horses take a good bit of weight off the front end of the GT500? and we can all agree that that is deffinately needed. i always thought most manufacturers increased displacement on top end models to meet the emissions at their target HP. marketing ploy? confusing stuff.

Saleen doesn't have the same stringent longevity/durability testing that Ford does. An Al block 4.6 making 390hp didn't pass their (Ford's) testing back in '00-'03 for the 03/04 Cobras. Same goes for the PJ Saleen using a Modular stroker. Not all aftermarket companies are considered manufacturers though, Saleen and Steeda aside. Lingenfelter for instance doesn't have to abide by the same rules. You'll also note they have no problem twin turboing a 427 small block, but Chevy moved to a 6.2L for their new forced induction LS9.

Last edited:

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

Fourcam, I would agree but I still find it interesting that Saleen achieves that level of performance (alibet at the flywheel) with 3V heads. If Ford were to offer proper 4V heads and extra displacement, 400 hp should be achieveable. I'm sure the durability issue could be solved as long as the motor stays N/A.

My biggest contention remains that a 5.4L iron block engine is WRONG for the Boss, perfect for a Mach I. Ford needs to give us a proper Boss with the suspension, brakes and engine package worthy of the nameplate.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Black93Cobra said:
Fourcam, I would agree but I still find it interesting that Saleen achieves that level of performance (alibet at the flywheel) with 3V heads. If Ford were to offer proper 4V heads and extra displacement, 400 hp should be achieveable. I'm sure the durability issue could be solved as long as the motor stays N/A.

Ford's had Modular big bore 305s running around for over 10 years. While the HP goal is easily achievable, the durability issues remain enough to keep them out of service.
Could Ford gamble on them if the run was 1000 units or less, probably, but from what I hear the 5.4 is still much more probable.

My biggest contention remains that a 5.4L iron block engine is WRONG for the Boss, perfect for a Mach I. Ford needs to give us a proper Boss with the suspension, brakes and engine package worthy of the nameplate.

I don't disagree that the Boss should have an Al block and a high winding motor but that's not to say a 5.4 can't be made to rev either.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
chuckstang said:
yawn
Im glad Im holding out for a gt500 over a slow boss mustang,
unless it has an aluminum block and weighs under 3500, I am not interested!

How is this a slow mustang?? If I read correctly in you sig, your car only has 276rwhp. If this car has 380hp(340-350rwhp) and comes with a 6 speed and 3.73's the car will probably run 12's stock.

Users who are viewing this thread