Latest Drivetrain and Horsepower Speculation?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
We were in dire need of a new resident dummy.

Welcome!

My god, what has happened to pony cars? Why would anyone take a Camaro/Challenger/Mustang and try to make it a track weapon? Sure you could. But why?

Pony cars pretending to be sports cars. Enough already. It's pointless. There's nothing they could do to a Mustang to make it outperform a Vette/Viper around a road course. Nothing. Why? Because those cars were designed from the ground up for road course / track use.

And yes, 700bhp is a fail for such a long wait for the GT500. Do you think Dodge is going to stop at 707?

Also what will the GT500 cost? And lastly...where is it? All this speculating gets old.

Recon

Established Member
We were in dire need of a new resident dummy.

Welcome!

He's clearly never heard of the Trans Am series. Muscle cars have been on road courses for a while now. And the ZL1 1LE is a beast around a road course.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
He's clearly never heard of the Trans Am series. Muscle cars have been on road courses for a while now. And the ZL1 1LE is a beast around a road course.
Literally the first thing I thought of when I read that.

Shelby-GT350RC-1.jpg

Breitling

Established Member
Why does it need to be 100HP more? At this point, I think it's safe to say that we won't see another GT500 until the S650 (or whatever they call it) chassis. What if it comes in at <3600 lbs and 650HP?

Based on 25+ years of Mustang weight gains, I'm not optimistic that the new GT500 will shed enough weight to make 650HP enough. My first Mustang was a '91 LX Coupe and I've seen them get heavier ever since.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm glad you guys caught that, too!! LOL

My god, what has happened to pony cars? Why would anyone take a Camaro/Challenger/Mustang and try to make it a track weapon? Sure you could. But why? ...

Because they're pony cars, and that's what they're made for? Pony cars are not muscle cars. Why would anyone take a pony car and try to make it a drag monster? Sure you could, but why? That's not what they were made for.

Pony cars pretending to be sports cars. Enough already. It's pointless. There's nothing they could do to a Mustang to make it outperform a Vette/Viper around a road course. Nothing. ...

Yet, that's exactly what Carroll Shelby did with the original GT350R.

... Why? Because those cars were designed from the ground up for road course / track use. ...

Actually, the original Corvette was designed to be a boulevard cruiser. If the Corvette can change, why can't the Mustang?

And yes, 700bhp is a fail for such a long wait for the GT500. Do you think Dodge is going to stop at 707?

Also what will the GT500 cost? And lastly...where is it? All this speculating gets old.

People are very jaded these days to think that 700HP from the factory is weak sauce. Also, I can't understand why people keep harping on the cost of the next GT500. Are the Hellcats cheap? Hellno! Is the Z06 cheap? Hell no! Is the ZL1 (1LE) cheap? Hell no! The new ZR1? Double hell no! Yet the next GT500 has to have 800++HP, only be good in a straight line, and it better not cost a penny over 30 grand??? What the hell is wrong with some of y'all??

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member

Exactly! He must have forgotten about Parnelli Jones and the original Boss 302 winning the trans-am championship in 70’ i believe. i mean if he wants a car that’s only a track car or only a drag car that’s fine, everyone else will be enjoying zl1, zl11le, blown gt350s, and the new 500.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

conceptmachine

Established Member
I wouldnt say 700 is weak sauce, just not for ME, some might like it though. Now look, if it was an NA 625HP 3600LB car, I'd take that, but it aint gonna be. If its force inducted, which it will be, with an auto transmission, its almost 4,000 lbs and thats with some weight saving measures. Even with 700HP its gonna be spin city if it doesn't come with the right suspension and tires, or is unbalanced. Since I love burning the hell out of tires, lets make it 750 at 4000 lbs and I'll take it. 700 is good, but not good enough for me to pull the trigger.

Edit: What I'm saying here is something needs to be special about this new GT500 or I just don't care about getting it. Unreal power, DCT, extreme weight savings etc. Just one of those would do it. A 700HP supercharged, 4000 lb auto isn't a must buy IMO. I can get that in the new PP2 and put a supercharger on it for less.

Last edited:

Clemson

Established Member
Yet the next GT500 has to have 800++HP, only be good in a straight line, and it better not cost a penny over 30 grand??? What the hell is wrong with some of y'all??

Yes it needs to have 800, its not a ****ing GT350 we already have that cute little car. And no one said 30 grand, but it damn sure better not cost 100K, its a mustang not a freaking ferrari. Get real.

Last edited by a moderator:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The way y'all are talking, you don't even want it to be priced the same as the so-called competition. Don't be ridiculous. Ford has zero interest or mission to chase after Hellcats and Demons. Funny how nobody says shit about the ZL1 not having 700+HP to compete with the Hellcat in drag races. The Camaro is in the exact same slot as the Mustang. The Camaro gets a pass for not chasing a straight line car, but the top dog Mustang has to keep being a knuckledragger?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Yes it needs to have 800, its not a ****ing GT350 we already have that cute little car. And no one said 30 grand, but it damn sure better not cost 100K, its a mustang not a freaking ferrari. Get real.
Cute little car that’s rated better than the 120k Porsche gt4.

If they can keep it at 3600lbs 700-750hp would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Lets see a link...
“At the Jacques Villeneuve–designed Area 27 in British Columbia, we ran 40-plus laps of the 3.0-mile circuit. It was the brakes—the iron-rotor units carry over from the regular ZL1 except for the ABS calibration—rather than spent tires that prevented us from turning more than five hot laps at a time; the pedal gets a little long on the fifth lap.”
https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/www...8-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1le-first-drive-review

Very different from the 350R config:
“This cooling became necessary when Ford decided to perform a durability test for the GT350R that consisted of a 24-hour run at a racetrack where the lap times were kept within three percent of the car’s flat-out max. The only things that could be replaced during the 24-hour run were brake pads, tires, and fuel. Any other failures and it was back to the drawing board.”
https://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-...-the-more-we-learn-the-more-impressed-we-are/

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I love the ZL1, the GT350, and the GT500's of recent past. Great hardware in all of them that you can really exploit at a given track. The brakes on all of them have really evolved and are a huge leap from anything the domestics offered in the past.

Thanks to my wife's company (Caliperfexion) I've had the opportunity to talk to some really fascinating people involved in the design and manufacture of these high performing braking systems. With respect to the system on the GT350, the one thing that sticks out in my mind is the stiffness Ford engineers achieved with the unique aluminum knuckle, Explorer Police-based hub pieces, SHW rotor, and "bridged" Brembo caliper. All of which translates into superb feel at the pedal.

I asked specifically about any measured increase in caliper stiffness by casting in the bridge and Ford engineers assured me it made a difference. When I pointed out that the Camaro still used an open body caliper and mentioned the brake performance of that car I got all smiles - the Ford/Brembo caliper is indeed stiffer. Small differences that when added up make for a great overall system.

Juggling pad compounds, rotor styles, caliper mount configurations, achieving optimum bias, not to mention the advanced electronic brake controls we have in place - mind boggling if you happened to have lived and drove when drum brakes were common place. GM will has and will continue to improve their brake systems as will Ford (Chrysler too, the "AMC" of the bunch:)). If there is a deficiency I have little doubt that it will be corrected. The system on the next track star Mustang is going to be a truly great one. Can't wait!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife when we were dating asked "why Mustangs?" and while there is more than one answer I told her it's "the cheapest way to go fast." Point being that the Mustang is a great example of a car you make your own and enjoy in multiple ways. Thankfully we have performance that I couldnt even imagine when I bought my first Mustang, a used '86 GT in '97.
Fun to have some debates here but I doubt anyone of us can complain about how many badass options exist today.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread