Latest Drivetrain and Horsepower Speculation?

Voltwings

Established Member
Rumor is it the mid engine Vette is dropping first of the year. I don't keep up on what's going on in GM's world, BUT unveiling a GT500 first of the year at the same time as a mid engine vette would be a massive mistake. Not that they're direct competitors, but if you're a magazine looking for a story to sell, mid engine vette (or whatever it's going to be) takes the cake.

conceptmachine

Established Member
From what I've gathered about the mid engine, its supposed to be available for the 2020 model year. It should turn out to be calendar year - early 2019.
I'm not sure they will show it that early, not Detroit show. Could be wrong, but thinking mid to late year. Look at the ZR1, they just announced it and will be building and delivering within 6 months. I look at it the same with the Mid engine.
I wish they would debut it earlier, cause it may change up my plans. Its my understanding that they may debut the car with the lesser power plant, and that the larger power would come a year later. In that case, I'm going to get this GT500 and then decide on the ME, for calender year 2020. Its good to have plans :)

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Rumor has it,..............one beast of a machine coming out in 2019 and another more powerful/sophisticated model in 2021. (Both on the S550 platform.)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Rumor is it the mid engine Vette is dropping first of the year. I don't keep up on what's going on in GM's world, BUT unveiling a GT500 first of the year at the same time as a mid engine vette would be a massive mistake. Not that they're direct competitors, but if you're a magazine looking for a story to sell, mid engine vette (or whatever it's going to be) takes the cake.

Unless it's a 910HP GT500 with copious amounts of functional carbon fiber.

Anyone want to buy a 03 Cobra? It’s innovative and has tons of trunk space. lol

Not to mention it created the HP craze.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Word on the street is that the 2 new GT500 cars coming out will outrun the new Dodge Demon.
Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. From a pretty credible source on the other forum.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No chance as far as Demon drag strip performance in my opinion. 9.60@140 showroom STOCK is serious.
I'd love to see a 'drag pak' King of the Road option but a street legal CJ is really what you'd need. I don't see Ford having drag radials, skinnies, transbrakes, and the total drag focused mods to allow that 100% stock.
I also don't think Ford Performance has the goals (or balls frankly) that SRT does currently.
I'd like to eat those words, but I'd be shocked.
-J

conceptmachine

Established Member
Let' just put it in layman's terms. Both GT500s will have 800+. The '21 WILL have electric motors pulling the fronts and additinal HP over the 19 and 20.
So, do the lb per HP thing. 19 and 20 GT500 is supposed to be 3850 lbs. Some 400 lbs less than the stripped out demon with the same HP (less race fuel)
On the street, it will be close and if the demon is rolling, chances are it's not gonna end in his favor. On a prepped *strip, stock for stock and demon running race fuel or not, the demon will win.
On the track is where the GT500 will excel. '21 MY is the face peeler, stop light beater. Of course weight will go up, but so does HP.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Bench racing is fun but I'll believe the front electric drive when I see it.
Also you say track, but the Demon is drag focused, and if your a drag racer you know it's more than simply power/weight. See my examples.
-J

conceptmachine

Established Member
Bench racing is fun but I'll believe the front electric drive when I see it.
Also you say track, but the Demon is drag focused, and if your a drag racer you know it's more than simply power/weight. See my examples.
-J

Strip, track, prepped surface, what have you. I also know that the suspension matters for dragging. I didnt say that the GT500 would beat it on the strip?
From a roll i think it could but thats still speculation. It' s going to be a more Track focused car, It's not going after the demon, but it will have demon power to weight.
As far as the front drive, it' s gonna have to be a wait and see.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I don't see Ford having drag radials, skinnies, transbrakes, and the total drag focused mods to allow that 100% stock.

It doesn't need all that. There are supercars and hypercars running 9s that aren't remotely setup for drag racing. Imagine if they were.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
It doesn't need all that. There are supercars and hypercars running 9s that aren't remotely setup for drag racing. Imagine if they were.

They also have various combinations of carbon fiber and other exotic materials, have exotic hybrid power trains, have unreal power to weight ratios and cost an absolute fortune as they are built with no compromises...

Not even remotely comparable to demon’s, Hellcat’s, ZL1’s and future GT500’s that are built with everything they can squeeze in while still being “affordable” (relatively speaking).

Carbon fiber, hybrid electric power trains, etc. aren’t happening on a car that needs to at least be somewhat comparably priced with cars that cost $65k-$75k...IMO.

World beating or not, you roll out a $100k mustang (or probably even a $80k one) you’re going to struggle to sell them at any more than a few thousand a year.

This isn’t like back when the GT500’s came out with basically no competition and could dictate the market.

Especially with it looking like it’s going to be just another supercharged V8 backed by an auto.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Clemson

Established Member
They also have various combinations of carbon fiber and other exotic materials, have exotic hybrid power trains, have unreal power to weight ratios and cost an absolute fortune as they are built with no compromises...

Not even remotely comparable to demon’s, Hellcat’s, ZL1’s and future GT500’s that are built with everything they can squeeze in while still being “affordable” (relatively speaking).

Carbon fiber, hybrid electric power trains, etc. aren’t happening on a car that needs to at least be somewhat comparably priced with cars that cost $65k-$75k...IMO.

World beating or not, you roll out a $100k mustang (or probably even a $80k one) you’re going to struggle to sell them at any more than a few thousand a year.

This isn’t like back when the GT500’s came out with basically no competition and could dictate the market.

Especially with it looking like it’s going to be just another supercharged V8 backed by an auto.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
This.

Users who are viewing this thread