Leaked Documents Show Nascar Electric Racing Series Coming In 2023

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I can't wait to see how the diehard Nascar fans react to this report of Nascar going electric in 2023.

Shock: NASCAR launching electric racing series in 2023, leaked documents say. NASCAR Cup cars could be converted for six-race series.​

NASCAR hasn't hidden its intention to electrify stock car racing in the coming years, but it may happen sooner than expected. Documents uncovered by the Kickin' the Tires website reveal potential plans to launch an electric support series next year.

According to the report, NASCAR will demonstrate a prototype electric racing car during the Clash at the L.A. Coliseum pre-season event in February, then follow it up with a six-race series "aligned with Cup Series" weekends. The cars will be modified Cup Series cars with fully electric, all-wheel-drive powertrains rated near 1,000 horsepower, compared to the 670 hp V8s used in the conventional vehicles.

NASCAR's Next Gen Cup Series car was designed to accommodate electrification. (NASCAR)
The performance goal is for the EVs to be able to lap a track as quickly as a Cup Series car, and efforts are being made to add an entertaining sound to the otherwise near-silent electric drive.

Just 12 cars would feature in the races, which would be split between two 30-minute events with no pit stops or charging held on Saturday and Sunday.

Electric stock cars would make the most sense on road courses and short oval tracks. (Douglas Stringer/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
NASCAR and the manufacturers are also considering using sport utility vehicle style bodies to help set the series apart, the documents said.

NASCAR did not confirm the details of the report, but issued the following statement to Fox News Autos: "As we have mentioned in the past, we are exploring the potential for an EV demonstration series. We are currently working with our OEM [original equipment manufacturer] partners and race teams as the program progresses."

The NASCAR Next Gen car features a rear transaxle gearbox that can be incorporated with an electric motor to create a hybrid powertrain.

The NASCAR Next Gen car features a rear transaxle gearbox that can be incorporated with an electric motor to create a hybrid powertrain. (NASCAR)

Beyond the possibility of electric versions, the Next Gen Cup Series cars that launched this year were designed with a transaxle-type gearbox with provisions to add an electric motor in a hybrid configuration, and NASCAR has said such a car is under consideration. It would likely be used for only part of the season on road courses and shorter ovals where regenerative brakes would be able to charge the batteries between acceleration events, which isn't possible on the high speed ovals where the brakes aren't used much or at all.

Gary Gastelu is FoxNews.com's Automotive Editor covering the car industry and racing @foxnewsautos

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Not a diehard fan, but this announcement doesn't strengthen my desire to watch NASCAR, especially the electrified version...

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Yeah, no
NASCAR has been going down hill since they changed from stock bodies to the cookie cutter cars Since when can you get a Toyota Camry with 2doors and a V8? I have yet to see a na 5.8 litre in a factory mustang. And stage racing just sucks. I have been a long time fan but the last 20 years have been generally terrible

dan1982

Established Member
well well well..... lets see what the will of the people is.... lets just wait and see if anyone WANTS to see electric cars... we are being forced ****ed right up the butt with the govt pushing EVs down our throat....... lets see what the will of the people is. This is a great litmus test for WHAT the people WANT.... Thats how a free country works.. the PEOPLE have to WANT electric vehicles for them to succeed. The govt shouldnt tell us what we should want and what is important. WE... collectively.. decide that.

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
I guess the attire will be a rubber suit over a fire suit.
Seriously would hate to lose a driver to one of those melt down battery fires.

dan1982

Established Member
i think so too.... but this will be a good thing for US car guys........ This would demonstrate the will of the people and their desire for electrification..... individually and collectively. On a grand scale. In order for EVs to succeed.... people have to demand them. If the demand isnt there.. the market isnt there. The govt can continue to try to FORCE the issue and strangle the ICE..... but in the end... its ALWAYS been about the will of the people voting with their wallets. For the first time in my life... ive had the resources to spend 100K on a vehicle and i never consuidered an EV. Because i am against it. On many levels.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
i think so too.... but this will be a good thing for US car guys........ This would demonstrate the will of the people and their desire for electrification..... individually and collectively. On a grand scale.

Quite frankly, nascar doesn't give a **** about US car guys/gals. They've proven that.
Don't ya think this is more directed at the international market, canadians, and the few American skinny jeaners?

dan1982

Established Member
Quite frankly, nascar doesn't give a **** about US car guys/gals. They've proven that.
Don't ya think this is more directed at the international market, canadians, and the few American skinny jeaners?
maybe the skinny jeaners will watch... but NASCARs audience has always been... by and large.... a certain demographic... I DO NOT think skinny jeaners will watch this anyway.. They were never car people... they never enjoyed getting their hands dirty and the sounds and sights and smells...... Lets see what happens. I firmly believe that the will of the people will be done. Nobody asked for EVs.... this was based on an idea and a principle... Virtue signaling. Saving the environment....... but its a flawed idea and its being FORCE-fed now. You dont win peoples hearts and minds by forcing manufacturers to abandon the ICE via tightening regulatuions... the approach is shocking. The USSR had a "centrally-planned" economy via 5 year increments... it didnt work. It never will.... capitalism works. the will of the people is important.

dan1982

Established Member
Lol at turning a 500 lap racing model into 30 minutes because that's about how long the batteries will last flat out. Wonder if they'll be scrapping batteries at the rate nascar scraps engines.
make no mistake... this is a GOOD thing for US true believers in the ICE. i dont think the market or desire for EVs is there. This would demonstrate the elephant in the room with a pathetic view rate. The ICE is superior in many ways to an EV.... it only takes 2 minutes to fill a tank/ there are gas stations everywhere... and u dont even THINK about the need to plan to refuel. The EV requires alot of planning and further complicates an already busy lifestyle.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
Interested to see how they plan to pull this off. EV's do not last long on the road course especially when you are pushing it. Locally in socal, most EV guys that are doing Time Attack are not able to get more than 2 full hard hot laps without suffering from a power loss which obviously isnt good for racing or setting lap times. How are they planning to do these 250-500 mile races and stay competitive. They gonna take charge breaks every 10-15 mins? The other thing is all the weigh that comes to power an EV.

dan1982

Established Member
Interested to see how they plan to pull this off. EV's do not last long on the road course especially when you are pushing it. Locally in socal, most EV guys that are doing Time Attack are not able to get more than 2 full hard hot laps without suffering from a power loss which obviously isnt good for racing or setting lap times. How are they planning to do these 250-500 mile races and stay competitive. They gonna take charge breaks every 10-15 mins? The other thing is all the weigh that comes to power an EV.
again... a good thing for us. Lets see how feasible this energy is....... lets see it right out in the open... on TV.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
again... a good thing for us. Lets see how feasible this energy is....... lets see it right out in the open... on TV.
I agree, i hope it falls flat on its face for everyone to see. Its funny because in Formula Drift a few years ago a team entered with an EV Camaro. The car couldnt complete a lead run and follow run and was basically dead in the water everytime they tried. Luckily the driver had his built LS swapped S13 to run in the camaros place at every event.

Users who are viewing this thread