Leaking CV joint boot...(kinda long)

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I have the DSS level 1 half shafts installed, which come with new boots and bands. (The stock boots won’t fit the inboard side with the narrower DSS bar.) The original boot that was included started leaking around the seal, and Frank (at the DSS) kindly overnighted me another boot and set of bands, free of charge. (Great customer service).

This second boot seemed to start leaking a little bit, too, but nowhere near the amount the original one did. And just to be sure, at the time I put this second boot on, my tech ordered another stock half shaft assembly so I’d have a brand new CV joint, as well, just in case there was a problem with the lip on the joint where the boot goes. Well…as I mentioned, it was leaking a little, but when I went to have some dyno testing done at Amazon’s, it blew. Grease was everywhere. Thankfully, Rick was able to swap it out for a used half shaft he had hanging around, so at least we could continue the testing and I could get home.

When I got back home, I took the DSS shaft over to my tech, who looked it over. He took it apart in a matter of minutes, and said everything inside the CV joint looked just fine. So we decided to send it to a local shop that specializes in CV joints, drive shafts, and such, to see what they could do. They were able to come up with a boot and bands that fit, and it looked perfect. So my tech slapped that one back in.

This third boot leaked, as well, so I called Frank at the DSS and he said to make sure you use a degreaser to get any and all grease off the joint and boot before clamping it down. So we did that, and that seemed to hold up fine for a little while, but…..

Now, after more miles, the darn thing is leaking again. I’m usually pretty patient, but I’m getting a bit PO’d about it. I’m at my wits end as far as what to do. The only other thing I can think to try next is to pull it out and ship it to the DSS to see if Frank can do something. I hate to do that, though, because obviously that means lots of down time and expense. (And of course, there is always the possibility that it could just end up leaking again.) Am I really the only one that is having this problem?! Anyone have any ideas?

trey193

Established Member
I had better not have those problems. I just ordered the level 1's and I had better not have any grease on the underside of my car, U could eat off the undercarriage!!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I hope you don't, too. When the boot tore, it was a real mess. The small leak doesn't make such a mess...just gets on the wheels (since my leak is on the outer joint) and is pretty easy to clean off. But it shouldn't leak at all. The left side hasn't done it since day one...just the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread