Leaving CA

Fat Boss

Established Member
Must be nice to be 7' tall, bench 400lbs and make mid 6 figures with a supermodel gf.

All while driving around town in a Mach-PEE

Nah, just 6-2. The GF is beautiful and also almost 6-2 though. Come to think of it, you could stand between us and we could use your shoulders as arm rests.

$400k isn't a big deal in Silicon Valley. There's at least 50 people in my building and 1000 people in my company who make more money than I do. Just because you made bad decisions and are broke-****, it doesn't mean everyone is.

Earlier in this dumpster fire his TDS was leaking out too so, there’s that..

I voted for Trump twice. My guess is you didn't even vote.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Union operator here. MA is a blue state but all trades in Boston are insanely busy and our governor and mayor strongly support unions. Cost of living is pretty high tho.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
lol at CA weather sucks, coming from someone in AZ. the only tolerable weather there is in Flagstaff. it topped 100 degrees a few days last year, thats it. isnt it over 100 like 4 months straight? and 100 at night? wtf? i was in Phoenix about two years ago. talk about a shithole. i know surrounding areas are nicer, but the point is, every state has its shithole areas.

we just sold our house in the san fernando valley (LA suburbs). every where you look there are homeless encampments and theft/burglaries are skyrocketing. i cant believe we sold our house for almost $1 million with homeless tents a few hundred feet away. we had to get out of LA city as its falling apart, and LA county as well. the guy we bought our house from is moving to AZ lol. and bringing a huge bank account full of cash. he outright owned his home and sold it to us for $$$.

now we're 60 miles east of LA. much closer to Gimmie11s area. there are NO homeless in the area we're moving to. and we bought a much newer, bigger, nicer home for less $. out here, its faaar more conservative. i see LGB stickers and flags all over the place. and no having to wear a mask everywhere you go. that's an LA thing (along with asking to see your Vax card). you cant judge this massive state by LA and SF alone. they are the outliers. id love to get out of here but wife wont due to family. and since she has stage 4 cancer, i cant really complain about that.

$400k in CA is $50k elsewhere? where do you live Tijuana? we make nowhere near that amount and have a nice big house and handful of cars. my brother in law is a single father and makes $130-150k a year as an ironworker (depending on OT) and he bought a very nice house in Gimmie11s city for a whopping $500k. all on his lone salary, with a teenage son whom he bought a nice car. if you cant make it on $400k you are either an idiot or living waaaaaay beyond your means. another friend makes just under $200k as a painter for the city (with OT) and lives in a nice area near LAX. his house is now at like $1.3 million. he is pretty much the sole earner and has three kids. he's constantly doing sick upgrades to his house. oh and he owns a handful of sick muscle cars and dailys an escalade.

another friend makes about $200k (mechanic at the port) and his wife, a nurse, probably $100k. they bought a $1+ million house with a view of the ocean in palos verdes. and he owns a bunch of sick cars.

and i know people who make "peanuts" who own homes out here. of course, NOW is a difficult time to buy if you dont make good money and have a sizeable down payment. my wife's cousin and her husband make maaaybe $100k combined. they bought a brand new (built for them) house in Hemet (way out in the sticks). its a nice house in a large neighborhood full of brand new homes. he has to drive to commute but he's not complaining with his mortgage. i think they paid $400k (just before Covid). she drives a new wrangler too. now she's a stay at home mom and they can easily afford their lifestyle.

granted, living in SF area/silicon valley is a different story. that may as well be on the moon lol.

the homeless problem in SF and LA is so out of control due to the easy going weather and the cities lack of enforcement (thanks to ACLU). my wifes friend works for social services in san bernadino. she said they advise people to head to LA so they can get more benefits from the city.

but dont worry, Brandon is going to make sure every state turns into a shithole by sending all the illegals your way. CA was a great state when it was run by Republicans and before they let the flood gates open at the border.

and id take LA over Chiraq or NYC any day of the week hands down. regardless of the cost of living. just like LA, outside those major cities are some nice areas to live in. but ill pass on having to use a metal detector to find my car on a winter morning after a snow storm.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Since this is pretty off the rails already...
What is it that you do for a living? The more money my kids make the nicer old folks home I get!

I'm currently a Program Manager at a company that primarily engineers and manufactures the machines that etch silicon wafers. The company also makes deposition machines and has an incredible spare parts and existing products upgrades business. Our chambers that etch wafers sell for north of $750k a piece, and the company sold somewhere north of 5000 of them last year.

I run engineering development programs. The marketing folks identify segments on the etch market that are currently underserved, or that we think we can make money in. The goal is to make about 50% gross margin and about 30% operating margin. I assemble the team comprised of mechanical, electrical, systems, and process engineers and we develop the chamber to meet the very stringent technical goals. We do deep silicon etch, where the chamber is capable of etching trenches in silicon that are upwards of 40 times deeper than they are wide. The sidewall angles need to be vertical to within 1%. The bottom needs to be rounded. We can't have any undercut or bowing. And it has to be almost perfectly consistent on depth across the wafer, measuring 8 or 12 inches. All of that requires a prototype chamber that the process engineers run thousands of wafers over many months to achieve the on wafer performance specified in the marketing specifications.

The chambers essentially heat the wafer, pull a vacuum, then alternately pulse etch gasses and deposition gasses that protect the sidewalls of the trenches up to several times a second, while the chamber volume is hit with RF energy turning the gasses into a plasma. Controlling that plasma is the art and science of the whole process.

Then engineers do the heavy lifting, and I run the meetings, drive activities to due dates, and present status updates to the execs.

If your kids are looking to make a lot of money and do very interesting things in their jobs, urge them to get a masters or PhD in physics or electrical engineering. the process engineers all have one of those backgrounds. We pay PhD's mid six figures first year out of college. If they're "just" mechanically inclined, there's a lot of room to make a lot of money as a mechanical engineer.

blk02edge

Established Member
Sounds like the CA residents are mad that more dudes are leaving the state.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Watch the tax revenue of Commiefornia plummet. This will of course result in higher taxes.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
People on here that puff up about their money make me laugh. This guy in his fancy CA neighborhood, the good resident doctor in his mask at outdoor hockey games…. hilarious. As if their money somehow makes them important.

Hate to tell you guys but some of us dumb rednecks out here in the woods are making more money than you, and it doesn’t matter. You ain’t that special.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
lol at CA weather sucks, coming from someone in AZ. the only tolerable weather there is in Flagstaff. it topped 100 degrees a few days last year, thats it. isnt it over 100 like 4 months straight? and 100 at night? wtf? i was in Phoenix about two years ago. talk about a shithole. i know surrounding areas are nicer, but the point is, every state has its shithole areas.

we just sold our house in the san fernando valley (LA suburbs). every where you look there are homeless encampments and theft/burglaries are skyrocketing. i cant believe we sold our house for almost $1 million with homeless tents a few hundred feet away. we had to get out of LA city as its falling apart, and LA county as well. the guy we bought our house from is moving to AZ lol. and bringing a huge bank account full of cash. he outright owned his home and sold it to us for $$$.

now we're 60 miles east of LA. much closer to Gimmie11s area. there are NO homeless in the area we're moving to. and we bought a much newer, bigger, nicer home for less $. out here, its faaar more conservative. i see LGB stickers and flags all over the place. and no having to wear a mask everywhere you go. that's an LA thing (along with asking to see your Vax card). you cant judge this massive state by LA and SF alone. they are the outliers. id love to get out of here but wife wont due to family. and since she has stage 4 cancer, i cant really complain about that.

$400k in CA is $50k elsewhere? where do you live Tijuana? we make nowhere near that amount and have a nice big house and handful of cars. my brother in law is a single father and makes $130-150k a year as an ironworker (depending on OT) and he bought a very nice house in Gimmie11s city for a whopping $500k. all on his lone salary, with a teenage son whom he bought a nice car. if you cant make it on $400k you are either an idiot or living waaaaaay beyond your means. another friend makes just under $200k as a painter for the city (with OT) and lives in a nice area near LAX. his house is now at like $1.3 million. he is pretty much the sole earner and has three kids. he's constantly doing sick upgrades to his house. oh and he owns a handful of sick muscle cars and dailys an escalade.

another friend makes about $200k (mechanic at the port) and his wife, a nurse, probably $100k. they bought a $1+ million house with a view of the ocean in palos verdes. and he owns a bunch of sick cars.

and i know people who make "peanuts" who own homes out here. of course, NOW is a difficult time to buy if you dont make good money and have a sizeable down payment. my wife's cousin and her husband make maaaybe $100k combined. they bought a brand new (built for them) house in Hemet (way out in the sticks). its a nice house in a large neighborhood full of brand new homes. he has to drive to commute but he's not complaining with his mortgage. i think they paid $400k (just before Covid). she drives a new wrangler too. now she's a stay at home mom and they can easily afford their lifestyle.

granted, living in SF area/silicon valley is a different story. that may as well be on the moon lol.

the homeless problem in SF and LA is so out of control due to the easy going weather and the cities lack of enforcement (thanks to ACLU). my wifes friend works for social services in san bernadino. she said they advise people to head to LA so they can get more benefits from the city.

but dont worry, Brandon is going to make sure every state turns into a shithole by sending all the illegals your way. CA was a great state when it was run by Republicans and before they let the flood gates open at the border.

and id take LA over Chiraq or NYC any day of the week hands down. regardless of the cost of living. just like LA, outside those major cities are some nice areas to live in. but ill pass on having to use a metal detector to find my car on a winter morning after a snow storm.

Wah!!!! You need a bucket for all those tears? Or will Cali fine you for capturing the tears. CA sucks, it's a fact. Using your over leveraged family as an example is laughable.
Fatboy was the one slapping his dick on the table bragging about making $400k/yr. It's a respectable salary but it don't nearly go as far in CA as it does in free America, nor does it make you rich. Around here it affords you a comfortable existence but still just a middle class one.
I would start talking up Maine but everyone would quit reading when they got to the "6 months of snow a year" part...Lol

I would move to Maine in a heartbeat............from May to September, and then I'm tapping out.

Users who are viewing this thread