Legal To Sell/Trade Car In Without Cats

helloWorld

Established Member
Where I live, there is no emissions testing, so my cats are off of my vehicle. I am thinking about getting rid of my car sometime this year. I don't know where I will sell or trade it in so my question is, regardless of whether whatever state I get rid of it in has emissions testing, can I let my car go without the cats installed? I still have the cats and I have every intention of giving them away with the car when it is sold.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
as long as the place you trade it in as doesn't give a shit about federal regulations they won't give you any grief over it. if they are sticklers for regs then they might not touch it since they can't see it without putting them back on. Since you have them tho that might work in your favor. private sale no one will give a shit.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are you selling it private party?

Might want to write down on the receipt that the cats were removed to "test" something in the exhaust system and the car is being sold with the cats to be reinstalled by the buyer.
And that the car had never been driven on the street during the diagnostic period.
That should be enough to protect you if the new owner gets stopped months down the road with no cats, and he testifies that the previous owner (you) had removed the cats.

A dealer should be told the same thing. They will just send it to their service department and reinstall the cats.

Users who are viewing this thread