Let’s talk C7 vette

My94GT

Established Member
at some point hopefully the tail end of this year I’d like to pick up another weekend toy. The use for it will be fun weekend back roads, drive to work on nice days, cars and coffee meets, and hopefully as time allows some track days.

Now I’d love to get what I really want which is a Gen V viper but it’s hard to stomach 80k+ on a secondary vehicle.

I’m looking at vettes as they seem a good performer, but I’ll admit I know little about them. The lust for power in me likes the Z06 but obviously that’s pricy too even used.

So I’m also looking at Grand sports, and I’m curious if people like them, or is it really worth the extra money for the Z06 given my intended use.

I’m in the early stages of this but like to fully wrap my head around a given car before I take the plunge hince me asking now so far in advance lol.

My94GT

Established Member
Why not a c6 z06 They can be picked up in the $30s. Fix the heads, throw in a cam, add some long tubes and enjoy a car that can punch way above its class.

Frankly because I just don’t care for the looks inside or out vs the C7. I know it’s a great performer though.

Machdup1

Established Member
Why not a c6 z06 They can be picked up in the $30s. Fix the heads, throw in a cam, add some long tubes and enjoy a car that can punch way above its class.
For OP’s intended purpose, the C6 Z06 or base C7 will be perfect.

My94GT

Established Member
For OP’s intended purpose, the C6 Z06 or base C7 will be perfect.
If I do it, I’ll at least go grand sport simply to the exterior astectics of it. Plus doesn’t it have better suspension vs the base stingray, or do I have this all wrong?

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member
I've been eyeballin' a 17-19 Grand Sport. I'm a Ford guy, but the Vette is a whole different class than the Mustang.... And a world class supercar that can be had lightly used for well under 60K.

My94GT

Established Member
I've been eyeballin' a 17-19 Grand Sport. I'm a Ford guy, but the Vette is a whole different class than the Mustang.... And a world class supercar that can be had lightly used for well under 60K.
I’m curious if I’ll be happy with the power level. In fairness last powerful car I personally owned was a 94 Gt with a 331 and vortec so it was 560hp which is nothing by today’s standards.

I road coursed my R6 a lot and enjoyed the thrill of the ride a lot so I’d think a well handling vette would be fine and they still make good power. Plus skipping the Z06 saves some good money so That’s always a positive haha

Ls2BluGoat

200,000 mile club
Established Member
C6 z06, ive already beat a bunch of stock and bolt on C7's in my stock C6z from both digs and rolls, and was door to door with a stock manual Zl1 and C7 z06. You can't deny the power to weight on these cars. There's a reason why there's tons of C6 on half mile records vs C7's... gearing, aero, and weight plague those cars.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I’m with OP. Yes the c6z is a great car and an absolute powerhouse when modded. But, I think it’s an ugly car. C7z is so badass from every angle.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
My dad just bought a 2015 Callaway C7 SC627.
jem-16620_4.jpg

It definitely is a step above his previous 2016 Z51 stock one. And it really is not just a tuner Vette either despite what other people say about it. Just have to wait for warmer weather before it can be driven.

My94GT

Established Member
C6 z06, ive already beat a bunch of stock and bolt on C7's in my stock C6z from both digs and rolls, and was door to door with a stock manual Zl1 and C7 z06. You can't deny the power to weight on these cars. There's a reason why there's tons of C6 on half mile records vs C7's... gearing, aero, and weight plague those cars.
I have no interest in the C6. I know they perform well, but to me it’s just dated looking inside and out. Since I’m not looking to do a build on anything I’d prefer to enjoy the creature comforts more.

08mojo

Established Member
I’m curious if I’ll be happy with the power level. In fairness last powerful car I personally owned was a 94 Gt with a 331 and vortec so it was 560hp which is nothing by today’s standards.

I road coursed my R6 a lot and enjoyed the thrill of the ride a lot so I’d think a well handling vette would be fine and they still make good power. Plus skipping the Z06 saves some good money so That’s always a positive haha

Go drive one, we all have way different views on how much is enough.

My buddy brought over his c7GS, and the power was very underwhelming to me. However, it was being compared to my c6z that had some mods. I'm sure if I compared it to my current car, the gs would seem like plenty.

PIPO

Established Member
I'm more addicting to the handling capabilities of my C7Z than its power. I'm not saying that lit lacks power, cause it doesn't, but coming from a Demon, a heavy car but a straight line beast, the C7Z is so much more fun to drive. I find myself going to track mode right before every turn and/or roundabouts pushing it to its limits. With that said, if money is an issue, the GS it is.

My94GT

Established Member
I'm more addicting to the handling capabilities of my C7Z than its power. I'm not saying that lit lacks power, cause it doesn't, but coming from a Demon, a heavy car but a straight line beast, the C7Z is so much more fun to drive. I find myself going to track mode right before every turn and/or roundabouts pushing it to its limits. With that said, if money is an issue, the GS it is.
Yea that’s my thought process, that I’ll enjoy the handling more so I could save some cash with the GS over the Z.

Are there any problems or issue with the C7 I should be aware of? I’ve heard there are issues with the stock wheels?

PIPO

Established Member
The stock wheels on the Z06 tend to bend easy, according to many on CF. I have not had any issues with mine, yet, and Kansas roads aren't that great.

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member

Depends what the goal is.. If you want to 'beat' everybody then you need big power. For me, I just want a strong beautiful car to take out for a Saturday cruise or car show. And yes the C6 styling doesn't even compare to the C7 (my 2c).

BTW- quoting HP numbers and not P/W or torque or gear ratios is just useless...

My94GT

Established Member
Depends what the goal is.. If you want to 'beat' everybody then you need big power. For me, I just want a strong beautiful car to take out for a Saturday cruise or car show. And yes the C6 styling doesn't even compare to the C7 (my 2c).

BTW- quoting HP numbers and not P/W or torque or gear ratios is just useless...
I’m more concerned with a well balanced car that’s fun to drive. I don’t go out street racing and don’t go to the drag strip. Basically I’d be in the same boat as you, a beautiful car that’s great to cruise in.

lilcoop03

Established Member
Im a c6z guy, but based on what you want I would definitely go c7GS for the widebody alone. Looks so much better than "fleetside" vettes.

c7GS are very capable on track too but you get to retain your nice new interior and creature comforts.

Be aware that if you are big or tall or both, the c7 cars feel noticeably more cramped than a c6

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The c7z can be had for cheap, this was once a 100k car for a 3LZ optioned car (carbon rotors, carbon exterior pieces).

I dont even have to search because last time I looked there are c7z selling for mid 50s. Maybe 60k for a 3LZ optioned '15/'16 Z06. Id get the C7GS or C7Z and not look back, C6 interior is bad specially when you have many choices today. Another plus besides newer car is you can take the top off any C7. That to me is icing on the cake.

I’m more concerned with a well balanced car that’s fun to drive. I don’t go out street racing and don’t go to the drag strip. Basically I’d be in the same boat as you, a beautiful car that’s great to cruise in.
C7Z in Admiral Blue or Laguna Blue. DAYUM!!

Users who are viewing this thread