Let’s talk motor builds

cheetohead04

Established Member
Alright. Building a motor for my 2011 gt500. Going with an iron block to reduce cost. Cobra jet crank, Manley rods/pistons. What compression? What cams? What timing chain components should I use? Car will be getting the new tvs 2.65. New fuel system etc. Hoping to make 8-1k rwhp on e85.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Why Manley? I’d go at least 11:1 for a street car build on E85. Talk to Todd Warren, pistons/compression/valve train/cam specs/cam timing are all dependent on each other to make a complete package that works well. Pretty sure MMR is the only place that makes a billet crank gear in GT500 size. Nobody makes a billet GT500 primary gear, Ford OEM is the only option. Secondary gears, chains, and tensioners can be sourced through a number of vendors - they are the same between all DOHC 4.6/5.4’s. Shelby Mike makes nice GT500 billet arms. Get tensioner spacers from Wonder Racing and file down the last four teeth on the primary tensioners.

Won’t take much to make your power goal, just have to give it enough fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cheetohead04

Established Member
Why Manley? I’d go at least 11:1 for a street car build on E85. Talk to Todd Warren, pistons/compression/valve train/cam specs/cam timing are all dependent on each other to make a complete package that works well. Pretty sure MMR is the only place that makes a billet crank gear in GT500 size. Nobody makes a billet GT500 primary gear, Ford OEM is the only option. Secondary gears, chains, and tensioners can be sourced through a number of vendors - they are the same between all DOHC 4.6/5.4’s. Shelby Mike makes nice GT500 billet arms. Get tensioner spacers from Wonder Racing and file down the last four teeth on the primary tensioners.

Won’t take much to make your power goal, just have to give it enough fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I was going to buy the mmr1500 shortblock. Come with billet Manley rods / pistons. Seems like most people are using Manley. Was going to contact l&m as well as mmr before I make a purchase. Looking towards l&m cams. Going to ask about a custom grind or either their nsr cams. Fuel system will be jpc return style with id1300 probably. My heads needs redone so will probably do a light port work/valve job while they are being gone through.

JimIII@jdm

We build a ton of the 5.4L engines and have been doing so for nearly 20 years! We would be happy to discuss build options if you need some help. We offer a built shortblock rated for 1200 HP using the Iron or Aluminum blocks. We use the Cobra Jet cranks standard, Manley H beam 4340 R series rods, Custom Mahle pistons same as what we use in our 1500 HP Cobra Jet race engines!! Also King bearings, ARP hardware, new 13-14 GT500 oil pump which we can offer with billet gears. Typically we keep compression around 9:1 but can go higher or lower based on what your doing! Also we are the only company I know of that offers a 1 year no detonation warranty with the build. Plus we can help you with the other parts that will be necessary to change during the build and upgrades like cams, springs, etc... in the heads that will help add some more power!! Check out these links below to some of the parts we offer and build custom in house....

JimIII
732-780-0770

http://www.teamjdm.com/5-4l-4v-gt500-iron-shortblock-1200-hp-2007-2010-gt500-built-by-jdm/

http://www.teamjdm.com/5-4l-4v-gt500-aluminum-shortblock-1200hp-07-12-gt500/

http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-gt500-super-stock-camshaft-max-performance-kit/

Last edited:

JimIII@jdm

11:1 is pretty high regardless of fuel quality but timing and boost could be adjusted to run it. Look at the Coyote cars they come 11:1 from the factory... However I wouldn't go higher than 10:1 for a street/strip application if you're running an alternative fuel. You never know what your getting from the gas station whether 93 or E85 or 100 octane.

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
I did the Supercar 10mm primaries for peace of mind. Going to the 10mm also allows you to do the TFS billet crank gear which is all of $25. The car made 877/795 at 6300 rpm and still climbing with a Trinity TVS.

Manley H beams with ARP2000 bolts
SCJ crank that was double keyed
Diamond coated 9.5:1 pistons and steel rings
King Bearings
JDM SS cams with PAC springs and Comp retainers
MMR billet guides
TFS billet crank gear
13/14 oil pump with TSS billet gears

Really happy with how the car turned out. Fighting a few fuel system issues because I started to cheap out initially with shitty DivisionX parts. Slowly converting it all to Fore. ID1300 provide the fuel. It gets raced and driven around during the summer on E85 and then 92 octane the rest of the time. I started with a new 2010 production iron block.

cheetohead04

Established Member
We build a ton of the 5.4L engines and have been doing so for nearly 20 years! We would be happy to discuss build options if you need some help. We offer a built shortblock rated for 1200 HP using the Iron or Aluminum blocks. We use the Cobra Jet cranks standard, Manley H beam 4340 R series rods, Custom Mahle pistons same as what we use in our 1500 HP Cobra Jet race engines!! Also King bearings, ARP hardware, new 13-14 GT500 oil pump which we can offer with billet gears. Typically we keep compression around 9:1 but can go higher or lower based on what your doing! Also we are the only company I know of that offers a 1 year no detonation warranty with the build. Plus we can help you with the other parts that will be necessary to change during the build and upgrades like cams, springs, etc... in the heads that will help add some more power!! Check out these links below to some of the parts we offer and build custom in house....

JimIII
732-780-0770

http://www.teamjdm.com/5-4l-4v-gt500-iron-shortblock-1200-hp-2007-2010-gt500-built-by-jdm/

http://www.teamjdm.com/5-4l-4v-gt500-aluminum-shortblock-1200hp-07-12-gt500/

http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-gt500-super-stock-camshaft-max-performance-kit/
Will give you guys a call. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread