LETHAL PERFORMANCE T-56 TOB Retainer Sleeve

LS1-Larry

Established Member
Thanks for the response BLACK03.........but I think in my research Ive decided to go with the Spec 3(not the 3+) and the Fidenza light weight alluminum fly wheel....what do you think of this????

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the response BLACK03.........but I think in my research Ive decided to go with the Spec 3(not the 3+) and the Fidenza light weight alluminum fly wheel....what do you think of this????

No prob Larry. It's my pleasure.

The Spec Stage 3 is a great clutch. It's got easy pedal effort and will hold a ton of power. The only advantage the 3+ has over the 3 is that it's a full face disc opposed to the multi-puc design of the stage 3 which allows the 3+ to have less chatter than the regular stage 3. That's really the selling point of the 3+ as well as it's rated at a higher tq level then the regular stage 3. Regardless, there's no doubt in my mind that either one of these will make you very happy as we sell a ton of both of these and the customers love em.

You also can't go wrong with the Fidanza Alum Flywheel. It's our best selling Flywheel and is a very high quality piece. Best of all it's got a replaceable friction plate so if you ever glaze it you can buy a replacement plate for $54.00 and essentially have a new flywheel.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Jared

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Love the TOB retainer sleeve!! I had the stock one on forever (2 clutches, 4 TOBs), and after I blew the synchros in my trans I decided it was time for an upgrade. I went with the 26spl input shaft, 3+ clutch, Fidanza flywheel, New TOB retainer sleeve, and an FRPP TOB. Since then, not only have my new mods (trans and otherwise) helped me get into the 10's, but I have not had ANY problems with TOBs since!!! This product is a must buy when doing a clutch swap, TRUST ME!!!!

LS1-Larry

Established Member
i hear some guys say to go with the Ford TOB..........I was gonna just use the one that came with the Spec 3 kit....is this a bad idea??

///m3

Established Member
Does anyone have any install instructions for the TOB sleeve?

Can I just pull the front cover off the tranny and do it myself or will the input shaft need to be re-shimmed?

Will I need a hydraulic press to press the sleeve into the front cover or can I do it with a block of wood and a hammer?

Unfortunately I didn't do enough research and didn't hear about the TOB sleeve until now...1000miles after I put in the CF DFX clutch. :(

Avenger

Established Member
Which TOB Sleeve to buy.

Lethal vs the Mcload TOB Sleeve.

What are the some of the difference?

Looking to buy. Upgrading clutch after TOB blew up!!!

Even though I've already ordered mine, I would be interested in hearing some opinions on this. ;-)

03 greysnake

Established Member
I did mine it and it did'nt need to be shimmed.It's not hard to do you can use the hammer and wood.Just take your time.

Screamin'04

Established Member
I did mine too; job was simple and didn't need to shim it either.

Just watch out for the front drain plug. If you tighten it in too far it makes contact with the end of the shaft.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Old thread, but adding a data point. This happened to me at around 21k miles on a stock clutch, never had the tranny out at all, so it can happen with a completely stock car with no midadjustment problems. I replaced it with a billet one and it works awesome. I will give props to the car though, it broke, started making noise, and kept working and driving for a 1000 miles. I was in the middle of a huge trip and I couldn't replace it.

trmin8ter03

Established Member
SHIT!!!!! Just got home, im pretty sure i had the same problem as ls1 larry. For about a month now ive been hearing squiking noises when i press or let go of the clutch. Didnt think anything of it. Tonight i was on my way home coming up to a light, pressed the clutch and a horrible squilling when off. Sounded like i was killing a pig in my car every time i pressed the clutch down. 93k miles on the cobra looks like ill be diging deap in the pocket for this one and swaping out the clutch out completely might as well get it all done at once. So ive been doing some reading up on clutches. Think im going with 26 spline shaft, spec 3+, billet steal flywheel. what do you guys think. Doing it on my driveway this week i guess.

hmwave

Established Member
Last time I had the clutch replaced I purchased the upgraded tranny cover with the Ford redesigned retainer sleeve.
Couple of years down I need to break it open as the Spec 3+ TOB is squealing.

Anyone know if the upgraded Ford part (significantly more expensive than the LP part btw, cost me around $350) is as strong/good as the LP part?

Trying to save on costs this time around.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Last time I had the clutch replaced I purchased the upgraded tranny cover with the Ford redesigned retainer sleeve.
Couple of years down I need to break it open as the Spec 3+ TOB is squealing.

Anyone know if the upgraded Ford part (significantly more expensive than the LP part btw, cost me around $350) is as strong/good as the LP part?

Trying to save on costs this time around.

Unless Ford is making them with 4340 it's not going to be as strong as ours. We offer our TOB sleeves with a lifetime warranty. If it breaks, we'll replace it for free.

Thanks, Jared

Roush150

New SVT *****
Established Member
Mine has been squeaking off and on now for about a month. This past Monday it just got horrible. Thought I had some kind of animal under the car. LOL! Glad to have found the solution to this problem, thanks guys! I will be ordering one this week.

Hey Jared which tob do you recommend?

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I just did this and am very greatful they have this product availible.

Durring my T-56/03 engine swap in our 01' I noticed the TOB was binding badly on the T-56 further inspection showed the bearing was rubbing and actually digging in.

I ordered this as a replacement and when I gently tapped the factory one out with a hammer and wood it BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!! I thank god it didn't do that while my wife was driving her car.

Its in and the clutch action is like buttah! Thanks Lethal.

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
question, a spec 3 put in about 4000 miles ago and the car has 65000 on it. i just bout the car about 2 months ago so am still learning about it. will i be running into this problem? , should i replace the sleeve now, or wait until i hear the squealing ?

huben94

Established Member
Well mine was making some horrible noise and lucky enough didn't cause and damage, usually you can feel a difference in the pedal first. Just listen theres no reason to do it now, unless you have something else with the clutch going on.

Users who are viewing this thread