Lets talk coilovers

naeem5oh

Established Member
i have BC racing br types. cost about 900 during black friday. they ride smooth, but even raised to the highest level they sit lower then my H&R super sports. they are really good for the money but if i didnt care about height adjustability i would def go with koni yellows with some eibach sportlines

naeem5oh

Established Member
793656_676299114365_1643999481_o_zps8f5a4639.jpg

raised as high as the shop could get them... but ill post more pics becuz im running vossens now which are 20s and getting it lowered

c. love

Established Member
The BC coilovers are "low" by most mustang guys standards. For me they are perfect car sits almost where i want it to be at the highest setting. The higher the setting the more travel the better off you are so it all good. Matter of fact whenever my wheels arrive I may end up going about an inch lower. Although i went 1K higher in rate I think they are great. The rides isnt that bad at all--muff daddy drove the car so he can say a few words too. A pic is below to kinda show the height --sure the back is squatted a slight bit lol.

Drifting wise the car is way more responsive to steering input, transitions nicely and is way flatter than stock. Since these cars are heavy pigs so I will probably add a sway bar sometime soon to help the body roll but really i couldnt not have asked for more from a inexpensive coilover. THESE ARE WAY BETTER THAN ANY LOWERING SPRING.

DSC_0379_zpsd2360d12.gif

WARNING THIS IS SHAKEY AND WHEN I TOOK THE VIDEO I DID WITH NO INTENTIONS OF SHOWING PEOPLE --AKA IT AINT PERFECT.

Here is some footage of my car and muff daddys car--you can see how much more flat my car is. Yeah i suck at drifting this thing--time is needed in the seat (cause i can drift pretty good --just not this car lol)

ginger beards - YouTube

kingnut

Established Member
The BC coilovers are "low" by most mustang guys standards. For me they are perfect car sits almost where i want it to be at the highest setting. The higher the setting the more travel the better off you are so it all good. Matter of fact whenever my wheels arrive I may end up going about an inch lower. Although i went 1K higher in rate I think they are great. The rides isnt that bad at all--muff daddy drove the car so he can say a few words too. A pic is below to kinda show the height --sure the back is squatted a slight bit lol.

Drifting wise the car is way more responsive to steering input, transitions nicely and is way flatter than stock. Since these cars are heavy pigs so I will probably add a sway bar sometime soon to help the body roll but really i couldnt not have asked for more from a inexpensive coilover. THESE ARE WAY BETTER THAN ANY LOWERING SPRING.

DSC_0379_zpsd2360d12.gif

WARNING THIS IS SHAKEY AND WHEN I TOOK THE VIDEO I DID WITH NO INTENTIONS OF SHOWING PEOPLE --AKA IT AINT PERFECT.

Here is some footage of my car and muff daddys car--you can see how much more flat my car is. Yeah i suck at drifting this thing--time is needed in the seat (cause i can drift pretty good --just not this car lol)

ginger beards - YouTube

lmfao video is awesome. running over cones and running into the camera. looks like yall had fun.

Griever423

Established Member
I'd say stick with either KWV3's, AST 4150's (these are the dampers only you'll need to get springs to go with them,) or a Ground Control setup. I'd stay away from BC coilovers unless you're just want a certain look and don't care about actual performance.

Before I went BC I'd be buying a good set of Koni sport dampers and some eibach or steeda or other springs.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Depends on what you plan on doing with em. But I'd say they take about 2-3 years of track abuse mixed with daily driving from what I've seen. KW's I'd hope would last a lot more but I have not been able to find any info on their longevity since most people that can even afford a set of KW's usually can afford to switch cars up fairly quickly also lol

A strut and shock combo is a whole other type of suspension with no where near the adjustability of a coilover setup but I'd imagine they would also last 2-3 years.

184587_10151223899211247_1792314147_n.jpg

K&W V3's are absolute sex. They're the finest quality coilovers there are. I've had them on for over 8K miles and it's like driving a whole new car.

c. love

Established Member
I'd say stick with either KWV3's, AST 4150's (these are the dampers only you'll need to get springs to go with them,) or a Ground Control setup. I'd stay away from BC coilovers unless you're just want a certain look and don't care about actual performance.

Before I went BC I'd be buying a good set of Koni sport dampers and some eibach or steeda or other springs.

What i dont often understand is people will throw out opinion on why something is better but never quantify why they are better.

Post up shock dynos or at least some experience you had.

Sure a race/competiion suspension is nice but what also needs to be understood is these are street cars form is > function in most of these cases. You want looks and a decent ride. The added bonus is the car behaving better in a race environment. Even then ive had great success with these and other "inferior"
dampers

Ive had lowering springs with koni and kyb dampers--it sucks. The dampers are made to OEM specs. Sure i can get a koni shock that i
Add spring perches/sleeves to but these arent intended to lower the car all too much and is race in orientation. Heck at this point you may as well corner
Balance. Again why these aren't race cars. If they are well you better open your pocket book a bit more.

Thats my feelings on it. For the 1000 bucks BC is a decent deal. Ive heard these are basically megan dampers--if thats true these dampers will go through some abuse. On another note these dampers can be sent in and have be gone through and have special valving added if you choose.

c. love

Established Member
184587_10151223899211247_1792314147_n.jpg

K&W V3's are absolute sex. They're the finest quality coilovers there are. I've had them on for over 8K miles and it's like driving a whole new car.

I would love to see a shock dyno on KW vs BC vs MEGAN vs expensive brand XYZ. To date i have yet to see much but it would help alot

kingnut

Established Member
c love when i contacted BC. they have a cross ship policy where you can ship a busted shock back to them and they will ship you a replacement for only $100.

c. love

Established Member
Kingnut i should have been more specific on the custom rebuilds. Its not through BC but rather a shop. Now if you want a straight replacement get it from BC like you said. Custom valving is what i was talking about they revalve and rebuild and last i looked it was more than a replacement

Last edited:

Griever423

Established Member
What i dont often understand is people will throw out opinion on why something is better but never quantify why they are better.

Post up shock dynos or at least some experience you had.

Sure a race/competiion suspension is nice but what also needs to be understood is these are street cars form is > function in most of these cases. You want looks and a decent ride. The added bonus is the car behaving better in a race environment. Even then ive had great success with these and other "inferior"
dampers

Ive had lowering springs with koni and kyb dampers--it sucks. The dampers are made to OEM specs. Sure i can get a koni shock that i
Add spring perches/sleeves to but these arent intended to lower the car all too much and is race in orientation. Heck at this point you may as well corner
Balance. Again why these aren't race cars. If they are well you better open your pocket book a bit more.

Thats my feelings on it. For the 1000 bucks BC is a decent deal. Ive heard these are basically megan dampers--if thats true these dampers will go through some abuse. On another note these dampers can be sent in and have be gone through and have special valving added if you choose.

I hear ya. I'm always going to recommend the better (and more expensive) brands of coilovers because they are better on a track or in the twisties than the cheaper stuff. If you're only going for looks then yeah BC or megan or godspeed (they're all the same relabled and recolored actually) coilovers are a good deal price wise. I'd still recommend a good shock/spring combo before those though. Some people are going for a certain look and the height adjustability of the coilovers over the shock/spring combo is what's needed.

As far as experience goes, I'm going based of my limited experience but more off of other's experience in the HPDE/TT world. The guys in my area who do serious track days and work on race cars will all tell you that those kinds of coilovers (Bc, Megan, etc.) are not good quality and are generally a bad choice for suspension besides looks. When it comes to suspension parts you get what you pay for.

You can make the argument "yeah well these aren't race cars" or "street car etc." but I believe it makes a bigger difference than you think.

naeem5oh

Established Member
btw becareful getting a 1pc aluminum driveshaft with coilovers!!!!! i think slamming my car is what caused it to go bad

MoonRider

Established Member
btw becareful getting a 1pc aluminum driveshaft with coilovers!!!!! i think slamming my car is what caused it to go bad

On Turka s car we had added UCA to get the pinion angle almost right but still need to add LCA and relocation brackets to make it right.

Users who are viewing this thread