Lets Talk Flooring

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
We have hardwood floors in the upstairs (living area) of our home. We have carpet downstairs. We hate carpet for the most part and want to pull it up and put something else down. We don't want to go with hardwood downstairs because its so expensive and we need something that is going to take some abuse since we enter the down stairs area from the garage and from the back yard.

We are wanting to go with a Vinyl Plank. It looks like hardwood, but its scratch resistant, stain resistant and water proof. So it fits the bill for what we are looking for but here is the issue:

It is going to be impossible to match the hardwood floors upstairs without it clashing and I think its going to look stupid to try and match it up, like we are trying to trick people into thinking its the same. So I thought about going with a completely opposite color and hope that the contrast between the two floors looks good.

The only issue I see with going with different color floors is the stairs leading down to the lower level are the same color as the hardwood floors upstairs.

Does anybody else have mis-match flooring in there home? Specifically when going with wood colors?

Updated results on second page.

Last edited:

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I have seen it before with dark in one part and light in the other. I'm one of the weird people that likes carpet it just feels so good on my feet, I used to sleep on the floor rather than my bed when I was younger.

getTwisted

Established Member
I have seen it before with dark in one part and light in the other. I'm one of the weird people that likes carpet it just feels so good on my feet, I used to sleep on the floor rather than my bed when I was younger.

Yes, we were hoping to go with opposite colors and be able to pull it off, I haven't seen any pics before but it would almost be like two different homes between the upstairs and downstairs.

As far as the carpet goes, I like carpet in certain rooms, we have new carpet in our Master Bedroom and in our office, but it just isn't going to work in our high traffic areas.

wht93gted

Established Member
We had pergo in our old house. I hated it. Definitely NOT waterproof. Eventually the water would get in the edges and swell it up.

It was also loud and felt like plastic; felt cheap to me.

You ever think of tile that looks like wood? They have new porcelain plank tiles that look like hardwood. I don't think you need to worry about upstairs and downstairs matching.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
d62243c403140db9_3168-w282-h376-b0-p0--home-design_zpsdvwgside.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

You ever think of tile that looks like wood? They have new porcelain plank tiles that look like hardwood. I don't think you need to worry about upstairs and downstairs matching.

I second this. And if you're talking about a messy, high traffic area, definitely go with porcelain instead of ceramic tile. Porcelain will cost more, but it's much more sturdy than ceramic and is impervious to liquids and [most] staining.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
How about stained or etched concrete? It will hold up very well over time. Our next house we build will have stained concrete floors.

getTwisted

Established Member

I do like these a lot. I will look into it more.

getTwisted

Established Member
Change the stairs to match the new downstairs flooring.

I just sanded and refinished the stairs a couple months ago. Don't think I could bring myself to do it.

I'd say tile, (because I used to install it). It will take the abuse, but it can be costly.

I like tile, but it is a pretty big area and I doubt I will be able to afford it.

getTwisted

Established Member
How about stained or etched concrete? It will hold up very well over time. Our next house we build will have stained concrete floors.

I like the idea for my garage, but my downstairs area needs to be a little more baby friendly.

crankin

Established Member
The vinyl planks are a pretty good choice for what you seek. my rents just did their beach house with it because of all the moisture, sand, traffic etc and I liked it so much im going to put it in my basement. I have the same dilemma as you on matching/not matching the upstairs. I think im going to go completely opposite colors as someone suggested/showed above but mine shouldn't be as bad because the stairs are carpet.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Having a similar dilemma. When we bought our house it had for the most part been renovated, including some beautiful 'engineered wood' floors in the kitchen (instead of stone for some reason), and carpets in the rest. There are existing hardwoods under the carpet that I'm guessing are really nasty since they covered it, however my pops used to run a flooring business, so I know we can get them looking good again.

Either way, the kitchen goes through a doorway and leads into a hallway for one transition and the other transition is to our dining room where these two different floors will meet...we've decided to do a completely different color when staining the floors so that it doesn't look like we're trying to match, because it would be impossible. This seems to be the best way to go about it unless you want to completely re-do the existing section.

Rings

Established Member
Wood plank TILE, youll NEVER look back! Takes a beating, looks good, if done properly and staggered properly will look amazing!

I recently put the home depot wood plank tile in my dinning room and hallway with a cream tile separating them and looks good.

bigblue95z

Established Member
Going to be goofy with 2 completely different colors if you go 1 light and 1 dark. But 2 different dark or 2 different light colors wouldn't be bad.

Users who are viewing this thread