Let's talk trucks

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
My '15 F150 3.5EB Screw with canned 5 star tune and exhaust went 12.99 @ 104. Haven't had the time or extra piss money to tune my '17 with the 10 speed auto yet.....but can't wait. F-150 or bust homie.

Where was this and what DA? I have yet to see a single eco crack 12's with just a tune. That is definitely not normal. Why did you trade up?

If you buy 15-17 eco 3.5 like you want, you benefit from aluminum for the long run. The engine wise, the only issue with turbos is the coolant fittings can leak with high miles/heat cycles. It will not cause any kind of failure and is a slow leak. You could really just make sure coolant is topped off and keep going. Just keep good oil in it.

More and more people are talking about Ram. The 19's top trims could be something to look at(i never would), but if you look at a 15 f150 vs 15 ram, it is not even close.

White95

HANO Motorsports
Established Member
Where was this and what DA? I have yet to see a single eco crack 12's with just a tune. That is definitely not normal. Why did you trade up?

If you buy 15-17 eco 3.5 like you want, you benefit from aluminum for the long run. The engine wise, the only issue with turbos is the coolant fittings can leak with high miles/heat cycles. It will not cause any kind of failure and is a slow leak. You could really just make sure coolant is topped off and keep going. Just keep good oil in it.

More and more people are talking about Ram. The 19's top trims could be something to look at(i never would), but if you look at a 15 f150 vs 15 ram, it is not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nxhappy

Established Member
first off, trucks aren't made for good MPG so get that outta ur head

if you want a CHEAP, RELIABLE truck, F150 5.4L hands down. You can find a sweet lower mileage truck for 8-10 grand . Motors go 200k no probably, most trucks you will be worrying about the transmissions on the older ones.

If you want newer, get the 2015 ecoboost. DO NOT get an older ecoboost, those motors had MANY issues, with many blown motors. Especially 2011 and 2012. Timing chains and etc.

you could also go the Hemi route, get a older 5.7 Ram, they are ****ing bullet proof..

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
I just went through this exact search. I looked at F150s, Silverados, and Rams. The Ram felt definitely the nicest out of the ones that I drove. I pulled the trigger on a new Laramie last week. It is the best looking truck out of the 3 in my opinion. I looked at Raptors which were in my price range, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. I wanted a good luxury truck DD and the 5.7L Ram engine is bulletproof.

I got it full optioned out. 64k MSRP, got it for about 10k off MSRP out the door. A good deal, not a great deal. I've seen people get 12-14k off MSRP if the timing is right. I just needed it now and couldn't wait until later in the year.
Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 9.40.31 PM.png

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
first off, trucks aren't made for good MPG so get that outta ur head

if you want a CHEAP, RELIABLE truck, F150 5.4L hands down. You can find a sweet lower mileage truck for 8-10 grand . Motors go 200k no probably, most trucks you will be worrying about the transmissions on the older ones.

If you want newer, get the 2015 ecoboost. DO NOT get an older ecoboost, those motors had MANY issues, with many blown motors. Especially 2011 and 2012. Timing chains and etc.

you could also go the Hemi route, get a older 5.7 Ram, they are ****ing bullet proof..
You want the 2V 5.4s so 5.4L until 2003. 2004 introduced the 3v and their glorious stuck /broken plugs, failing cam phasers, weak oil pumps etc.

Definitely look for a 2V OR an 2004 up 5.4L 3v thats been regularly serviced and may or may not have new OEM phasers and upgraded 3v/13-14 GT500 oil pump.

nxhappy

Established Member
You want the 2V 5.4s so 5.4L until 2003. 2004 introduced the 3v and their glorious stuck /broken plugs, failing cam phasers, weak oil pumps etc.

Definitely look for a 2V OR an 2004 up 5.4L 3v thats been regularly serviced and may or may not have new OEM phasers and upgraded 3v/13-14 GT500 oil pump.
sorry should have said 5.4 years 99-00-01-02-03 ....

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

I also would recommend a 2009/2010 F150 with the 5.4v 3v. They had the upgraded phasers and also got the 6speed auto.

Tylerc

Established Member
I would definitely not recommend a 04-08 5.4 3v unless you like tearing apart half the engine bay to replace the stupid cam phasers. After that you can enjoy the wonders of the two part spark plug or the exhaust manifold that warp if you look at them wrong.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

SSi runs fast times, but I for one would never let them tune anything I own.

OP - You'd probably be more than fine with the NA V6. My FIL has a 2016 ECSB 2wd F150 and it gets around decent enough. However, a 5.0 would be my pick because I miss the sound of a V8. However, tuned EcoBoost motors are no joke and can do work (I have a tuned 3.5 EB in my MKS).

Chevy dealership near me has 20% off trucks (they always have that deal going on) and it might be worth checking out where you live. I personally like the new style Chevy's/GMC's.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Lebanon Valley, NY...not sure of the DA.

It was in early September and it was about 45-50 F on my last run. Best before that was 13.03 @ 102..xx. I didn't trade up, my truck was totaled by an idiot that ran a red light. I wish I still had the '15 it would be paid off. I should be more clear...93 octane tune, catless 3" X pipe into 3.5" Banks Monster, throttle body spacer and CAI(I know they don't do much). Truck was fun as hell and hurt a lot of feelings light to light.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I miss my ram 5.7 with 3.92 rear end. Truck had plenty of power, especially down low. I had a budget and went with the quad cab express. Pretty basic truck honestly, exterior had the body colored bumpers and 20s which is all I really cared for. Interior was plain, but no rattles or issues. Biggest complaint I had was I picked too low of a trim level. I ended up selling because I realized I hated driving a bigger vehicle in the city. Now that I moved I want it back but it will have to wait a few more years.

When I do buy again it will be a higher trim level. My dad scored a 2016 3k mile big horn 5.7 4wd crew cab in 2017 for under 30 grand.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Just lol at anyone recommending the 5.4 this day in age. The 2V yeah they run forever but are a ****ing turd. The 3V well if your mechanically inclined to do phasers and crappy plugs go for it.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Ram-stay away from air ride
Ford- stay away from 5.4
Gm/chev- stay away from magnaride(ties into way to many systems) & the 8spd auto.

Other then that all would do what you need.

Sent from my POFS iPhone in a rage cause this is the third try.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Just lol at anyone recommending the 5.4 this day in age. The 2V yeah they run forever but are a ****ing turd. The 3V well if your mechanically inclined to do phasers and crappy plugs go for it.

I'd have to agree.

I have a 2006 5.4 that I have owned for almost 5 years and have put over 60K miles on it (it just turned 138K). While I haven't had any of the problems associated with these trucks, it is a gutless turd. I almost wish for major issues to give me a reason to step up to a newer truck, but right now I can't justify it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread