• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Let's talk trucks

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by jrandy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. MachME

MachME 2V Power Established Member

Where was this and what DA? I have yet to see a single eco crack 12's with just a tune. That is definitely not normal. Why did you trade up?

If you buy 15-17 eco 3.5 like you want, you benefit from aluminum for the long run. The engine wise, the only issue with turbos is the coolant fittings can leak with high miles/heat cycles. It will not cause any kind of failure and is a slow leak. You could really just make sure coolant is topped off and keep going. Just keep good oil in it.

More and more people are talking about Ram. The 19's top trims could be something to look at(i never would), but if you look at a 15 f150 vs 15 ram, it is not even close.

2. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

Need turbo timers. I always let mine idle for a tad after driving.

Smooth and Silverboost like this.
  3. White95

White95 HANO Motorsports Established Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earico and Sonic605hp like this.
  4. nxhappy

nxhappy Vette Killer Established Member

first off, trucks aren't made for good MPG so get that outta ur head

if you want a CHEAP, RELIABLE truck, F150 5.4L hands down. You can find a sweet lower mileage truck for 8-10 grand . Motors go 200k no probably, most trucks you will be worrying about the transmissions on the older ones.

If you want newer, get the 2015 ecoboost. DO NOT get an older ecoboost, those motors had MANY issues, with many blown motors. Especially 2011 and 2012. Timing chains and etc.

you could also go the Hemi route, get a older 5.7 Ram, they are ****ing bullet proof..

me32 likes this.
  5. nxhappy

timing chains, and motors popping ...

13COBRA likes this.
  6. rezarxt

rezarxt free pizza man Established Member

I just went through this exact search. I looked at F150s, Silverados, and Rams. The Ram felt definitely the nicest out of the ones that I drove. I pulled the trigger on a new Laramie last week. It is the best looking truck out of the 3 in my opinion. I looked at Raptors which were in my price range, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. I wanted a good luxury truck DD and the 5.7L Ram engine is bulletproof.

I got it full optioned out. 64k MSRP, got it for about 10k off MSRP out the door. A good deal, not a great deal. I've seen people get 12-14k off MSRP if the timing is right. I just needed it now and couldn't wait until later in the year. Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 9.40.31 PM.png

7. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

You want the 2V 5.4s so 5.4L until 2003. 2004 introduced the 3v and their glorious stuck /broken plugs, failing cam phasers, weak oil pumps etc.

Definitely look for a 2V OR an 2004 up 5.4L 3v thats been regularly serviced and may or may not have new OEM phasers and upgraded 3v/13-14 GT500 oil pump.

8. nxhappy

sorry should have said 5.4 years 99-00-01-02-03 ....

lexustech48 likes this.
  9. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

I also would recommend a 2009/2010 F150 with the 5.4v 3v. They had the upgraded phasers and also got the 6speed auto.

PaxtonShelby and lexustech48 like this.
  10. Tylerc

Tylerc Member Established Member

I would definitely not recommend a 04-08 5.4 3v unless you like tearing apart half the engine bay to replace the stupid cam phasers. After that you can enjoy the wonders of the two part spark plug or the exhaust manifold that warp if you look at them wrong.

Need 04 Wine and lexustech48 like this.
  11. black92

black92 Hot rod Lincoln Established Member

SSi runs fast times, but I for one would never let them tune anything I own.

OP - You'd probably be more than fine with the NA V6. My FIL has a 2016 ECSB 2wd F150 and it gets around decent enough. However, a 5.0 would be my pick because I miss the sound of a V8. However, tuned EcoBoost motors are no joke and can do work (I have a tuned 3.5 EB in my MKS).

Chevy dealership near me has 20% off trucks (they always have that deal going on) and it might be worth checking out where you live. I personally like the new style Chevy's/GMC's.

12. Recon

Recon Well-Known Member Established Member

Love my Silverado. There I said it.

Pick your poison.

StrayBullitt and Need 04 Wine like this.
  13. Sonic605hp

Sonic605hp I have a large member. Established Member

Lebanon Valley, NY...not sure of the DA.

It was in early September and it was about 45-50 F on my last run. Best before that was 13.03 @ 102..xx. I didn't trade up, my truck was totaled by an idiot that ran a red light. I wish I still had the '15 it would be paid off. I should be more clear...93 octane tune, catless 3" X pipe into 3.5" Banks Monster, throttle body spacer and CAI(I know they don't do much). Truck was fun as hell and hurt a lot of feelings light to light.

Need 04 Wine likes this.
  14. SHOdown220

SHOdown220 Well-Known Member Established Member

I miss my ram 5.7 with 3.92 rear end. Truck had plenty of power, especially down low. I had a budget and went with the quad cab express. Pretty basic truck honestly, exterior had the body colored bumpers and 20s which is all I really cared for. Interior was plain, but no rattles or issues. Biggest complaint I had was I picked too low of a trim level. I ended up selling because I realized I hated driving a bigger vehicle in the city. Now that I moved I want it back but it will have to wait a few more years.

When I do buy again it will be a higher trim level. My dad scored a 2016 3k mile big horn 5.7 4wd crew cab in 2017 for under 30 grand.

15. Riddla

Riddla IT will surprise you Established Member

I’d go with a Ridgeline.

Stanley and blk02edge like this.
  16. BlksvtCobra01

BlksvtCobra01 Do it again and I'll make it real Established Member

Just lol at anyone recommending the 5.4 this day in age. The 2V yeah they run forever but are a ****ing turd. The 3V well if your mechanically inclined to do phasers and crappy plugs go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blk02edge, 03Sssnake and ford fanatic like this.
  17. Revvv

Revvv Infinity Poster Established Member

18. ON D BIT

ON D BIT Finish First Established Member

We are speaking about trucks....

19. Need 04 Wine

Need 04 Wine Well-Known Member Established Member Established Member

Ram-stay away from air ride
    Ford- stay away from 5.4
    Gm/chev- stay away from magnaride(ties into way to many systems) & the 8spd auto.

Other then that all would do what you need.

Sent from my POFS iPhone in a rage cause this is the third try.

20. ford fanatic

ford fanatic Four Eyed Freak Established Member

I'd have to agree.

I have a 2006 5.4 that I have owned for almost 5 years and have put over 60K miles on it (it just turned 138K). While I haven't had any of the problems associated with these trucks, it is a gutless turd. I almost wish for major issues to give me a reason to step up to a newer truck, but right now I can't justify it lol.

Need 04 Wine and BlksvtCobra01 like this.