• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Let's talk trucks

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by jrandy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. My94GT

My94GT Well-Known Member Established Member

I have heard the 4th gens has issues but even then when I was looking at air vs no air I did extensive research and on the forums in some of the larger threads with plenty sample size there was I’ve 75% of owners that were problem free with air suspension. As far as I’m aware the whole system was revamped anyway for the 5th gen ram.

Ultimately, I own a 19 ram with air equipped suspension so I really won’t be swayed away at this point. I’ve had zero problems, even in the cold at negative zero degree days where most people reported issues.

Every vehicle brand has their issues but air suspension is utilized on many vehicles, across many brands, and often the parts that fail are because of lacking maintenance. Air suspension is less forgiving to those who don’t properly upkeep their vehicles but that doesn’t mean it should be avoided.

2. Recon

Recon Well-Known Member Established Member

Mine is less than 75 miles to 220K, daily driven workhorse. Had around 50k when we got it. Only thing about the newer GM trucks I’m not interested in is the Cylinder Deactivation. In my experience it’s not very durable and expensive to fix. Until this newest facelift I’d pick GM first for gasoline trucks. Not a fan of the front end. So Dodge has it for me wether gas or diesel fueled trucks.

Pick your poison.

3. Need 04 Wine

Need 04 Wine Well-Known Member Established Member Established Member

That’s good they have hopefully fixed it.

I laugh when I see a brand new rebel go bouncing buy flat on its ass. Lol

There is not really any maintenance to do on those systems as they are closed loop.

I think they are actually nitrogen, just used air ride as fill in term.

My uncle got the full run around from dealer. Had warranty when issues started.

1)hmm never heard of those having issues
    2) lots of codes so we cleared them, you must off-road.
    3)oh it was a sensor all good now
    4 warranty is done but you need a hole new system or we can replace with coils(which we have in stock) for half the price.

Lol. He was pissed

Sent from my POFS iPhone in a rage cause this is the third try.

BlksvtCobra01 likes this.
  4. mysticsvt

mysticsvt southernmustangandford Premium Member Established Member

I was worried about stereo sound and a truck. Not a lot of room for subs but the FOX box with two 10" Sundown's and 2 pair of JL Audio C3 components sound amazing together.

5. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Apparently there was 3 revision of the cam phasers with lastest version being in the 2010 F150 5.4. Also but the 09/10 got some other little updates such as the 6 speed auto. E85 flex fuel making 320hp and 395tq the exhaust was different too compared to the 05-08. Also its been recommended to run 5w-30 over the 5w-20. Helps maintain oil pressure.

6. PaxtonShelby

PaxtonShelby FRULE10 Established Member

The timing chain tensioners are the major weak link in the early 3v motors. They fail and that results in low oil pressure getting pushed to the cam phasers. If you find a clean 3v that has had the timing chains/guides/tensioners/cam phasers/ VCT solenoids/ HV oil pump done (haha I know that’s a lot) then you can have a nice truck for very little money. A good running 5.4 3v can tow 8k all day.

I think the ‘06+ 3v all have the upgraded chain tensioners too.

Haha good point on the exhaust mani warp/crack issue. Mine was done before I bought the truck.

lexustech48, BlksvtCobra01 and me32 like this.
  7. White95

White95 HANO Motorsports Established Member

Yes, they are notorious for that. This was just illustrating that it *is* possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles Pew Pew Premium Member Established Member

Speaking of the 15-17 6 speed, I just dropped mine off at the dealership for what the service adviser and I believe is the leadframe issue that was recalled for the 11-14 F150's. Not happy but I get to drive a sweet grandma looking Fusion for the next week.

Aside from this issue my 15 XLT has been rock solid since I purchased it last November.

me32 likes this.
  9. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

If you don’t plan to use a truck as a truck too much I wouldn’t buy one. I’ve been DDing trucks since I’ve been driving and it gets old really fast.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

10. My94GT

My94GT Well-Known Member Established Member

See I couldn’t imagine not using a truck as a DD. There is so much versatility beyond just the aspect of hauling/towing heavy items.

With a bed cover and a bed divider set up, I always find use for putting stuff back there. The cab is more spacious then my wife’s XC90, specially fitting baby seats and allowing room to still slide the front seats back to a comfortable position that we rarely use her vehicle anymore. Great in all weather conditions as long as you have appropriate tires selected (all seasons) very comfortable, great visibility and most new trucks offer all the great tech driving aids one could want if they choose to equip as such.

The only down side is fuel mileage and even then it’s a livable trade off.

BlksvtCobra01, Stanley and mysticsvt like this.
  11. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

It's basically a giant trunk. Couldn't imagine not having a truck.

BlksvtCobra01 and My94GT like this.
  12. mysticsvt

mysticsvt southernmustangandford Premium Member Established Member

Yeah my Trucks is 100 times more comfortable than my Mustang.

BlksvtCobra01 and My94GT like this.
  13. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep, what you guys said is the same way I feel. I DD mine.

14. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Weird. After DDing Mustangs and trucks, and motorcycles, I'd prefer to DD a truck any day of the week, and twice on Sundays, especially the newer, 4D, "luxury" variants.

earico, me32, BlksvtCobra01 and 5 others like this.
  15. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

Yeah, I guess maybe my opinion is based on the fact I always load them up. Tool boxes and tools filling up the bed. Back seats covered in extra change of clothes and blue prints, binders, metering tools, office shit. it got to be annoying

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

My94GT likes this.
  16. jaxbusa

jaxbusa Well-Known Member Established Member

The only thing I don’t like about my 2016 F150 is that parking spots are seemingly getting smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

17. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

Two of my friends picked up Dodges last year. One a 1500 Sport with the 5.7 and the other a 2500 Power Wagon. Both love their trucks and I haven't seen any issues with either. The 1500 is a 2011 with over 100k. The 2500 is a 2015. I think he's still under 60k on the miles. The only reason his mileage sucks is because he drives 5 miles to work. It never gets fully warmed up.

I love DDing my truck. I prefer driving it over the wife's Audi. Granted that could be because it's "mine". But I don't know that I'd ever go back to a car for a daily.

A couple times I thought about trading in my truck for another SUV. But then I'd have to throw an engine in the bed or tow something and then I remember why I have it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  18. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

No lie, so nice with all goodies inside, heat/cool seats, electric steering and other shit.

me32 likes this.
  19. ssj4sadie

ssj4sadie Well-Known Member Established Member

Are you saying that you got treated as the office haul bitch or? My truck is an awesome DD, now if you're talking a long bed F-2/350 then I can understand.

20. ssj4sadie

ssj4sadie Well-Known Member Established Member

I find my truck easier to park than our XSport.