Letter from Ford to it's employees concerning the Lightning.

DA BOLT

Established Member
Got this info from another site....sad:(

This is a copy of the letter written to all Ford Motor Company employees released on Thursday of this week:

Ford Motor Company has scrapped plans for the 2006 SVT F-150 Lightning pickup truck. First shown at the 2003 North American International Auto Show, the Lightning concept had 500 horsepower and was powered by the same V8 as in the Ford GT super car. Ford is focusing its attention to the SVT Mustang instead. We've needed to concentrate most of our resources to the [2006] Cobra, says Allan Hall, SVT communications manager. SVT is a small group with a small budget. The next-generation programs are more complex than anything we've ever done and more differentiated. It was a necessary move. Special Vehicles Team (SVT) is a factory performance offshoot of Ford. The first-generation Lightning came out in 1993 with a 240-hp V8 and was put on hold in 1995. It returned in 1999 as a 360-hp tarmac burner and remained largely unchanged until 2004. While Ford of Canada will not confirm or deny reports regarding future products, Mr. Hall says it is possible the Lightning could re-emerge in 2008 or later.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I'm not believing any more of these rumors until I see the news on Ford's website.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by team23jordan
i'll be pissed if they keeep the svt focus and kill the lightning

They scrapped the Focus in 03. So I guess you don't have to be pissed afterall.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I love all SVT products, but IMO I don't think Ford has done its fans right about SVT. In the beginning, they promised lots of Ford-based SVT models and the most they've had at one time is 3 and a grand total over 10 years of just 4 models and none have been produced for 10 consecutive years.
Chrysler on the other hand, has come out of the box quickly producing performance SRT model variants with more to be added with a soon to be total of 7 SRT models in the lineup with exciting results.
I'm not knocking what SVE has done for its enthusiasts. My problem is that Ford doesn't seem to appreciate what they have with the SVT moniker. They'd rather worry about how many 200 hp FWD sedans they can sell to compete with Toyota rather than deliver the goods to us who appreciate affordable performance.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
I kinda' hope they don't use the GT(40) engine. If the motor costs $45 G's, then I damn sure can't afford the whole truck! http://karkraft.com/engines.htm

I'm not sure what to think of the whole deal. I'd rather have an affordable truck that's modifyable than a high dollar truck where mods cost thousands (i.e. SRT-10). Just give us a Navigator motor with a twin-screw for a decent price and don't worry about what Dodge is doing. (How many L's did Ford sell vs. SRT-10's?, I'd also bet they made more $ per truck than Dodge, too) I would, however, rather wait an extra year than have them build a p.o.s. just to get a truck out there.

Users who are viewing this thread