Lightning MAF vs SCT MAF vs MAFXtender -->Please Help!

firstsvt

workin those 28's
Established Member
In the never ending need for speed I have decided to do the pulley / tune thing. I decided to go with a Billetflow 2.76" upper, a BF 100mm idler, new 74" gates belt, plugs, etc. The tuner I contacted is a very reputable tuner in my area, and are also anSCT dealer, so they will be flashing my tune via XCalibrator. Anyways, as crazy as the weather can be here in the Chicago area, 50 degrees to like zero in 24 hours :uh oh: I decided to upgrade the MAF and not risk pegging it on a cold day.

I asked the tuner about MAF options, and said I would probably want to do the SCT Big Ass, Big Air, whatever :dw: MAF. The tuner told me that there are some possible driveability issues with the SCT and encouraged me to go with a stock Lightning MAF. He admitted the SCT is a more capable unit if I want to go KB, cams, in the future, but the Lightning would be the best option for me and my daily driver. He stressed that there is a "night and day" difference between the driveability of the SCT MAF and Lightning piece.

My research leads me to believe that I should do the SCT meter, and as long as they know their stuff, driveability shouldnt be a problem. I havent heard of too many guys upgrading to a Lightning MAF.......is this a correct assumption :??:

We kind of ran out of time, so I didnt even ask about the MAFXtender, but maybe that would be a good choice? I've got my appointment scheduled for next Thurs to bring it in and I would like to get this stuff sorted out this weekend.

Remember, I am only doing the upper pulley right now, but will more than likely getting a Steggy port this summer, so I need some room to grow. How far can you take a Lightning MAF??

My big question is, if the electronics are different with the Lightning MAF and the SCT, why is the driveability going to be so much better with the Lightning?

Anyone have any input on the driveability and/or capabilities of the Lightning MAF, driveability of the SCT units, or the MAFXtender. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Stay warm out there, cuz its cold as a MOFO here......again :(

Jason

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
I have heard nothing but good from the sct maf. I switched to one for the whipple gp - and my tuner absolutely loved tuning with it. Anyways, either the sct or the maf extender will do the job - just remember with the extender, you have to cut into your harnass.

peace

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had installed the JDM Lightning MAF but if I were to do it again a MUCH better solution is either the MAFXtender or SCT MAF. It's a toss-up IMO.

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
The L maf and 03 cobra maf are the same. The SCT maf is the only way to go. Every car we've done to date with one was a breeze to tune and there is plenty of room in the maf counts to add more power. The SCT is a quality oem maf that is made by hatachi and is extremely accurate.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread