Lightweight Battery Options for STREET Car ?

oldlugs

Established Member
Hi folks. It's finally time to swap out my original '08 battery (my Bullitt's - though same one as in my KR), and I'm wondering about good, low cost, lightweight options. I don't want to spend the big $ on a lithium lightweight (but sure would like one).
I see that some people recommend small AGM batteries from Odyssey or Braille. Can I get away with a PC680 size battery on a street car, or do I really need the bigger PC925 (both are Odyssey #s)? The PC680 weighs around half what the original Motorcraft does.

Who have been running the inexpensive lightweights (under $300) successfully on their street car and what do you think of them? What are you using for mounting brackets?

Thanks!

nxhappy

Established Member
you really aren't going to save THAT much weight. Stick with a Optima Battery, or the largest battery that will fit in the tray. The more cold cranking amps, the better.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Deka has a good rep for smaller battery - ETX14

Braille Battery Aluminum Mount Kit BRA-211

you really aren't going to save THAT much weight. Stick with a Optima Battery, or the largest battery that will fit in the tray. The more cold cranking amps, the better.

probably save more with a battery swap than by losing the front sway bar - about 20#

Last edited:

oldlugs

Established Member

I think that every bit of weight lost will be a good thing, as long as I don't sacrifice too much in the trade off. I know that I need X amount of battery reserve capacity, but I don't sit for long running the stereo with engine off and it's not a winter driver; I live in SoCal mountains w/ plenty of ice & snow so Mustangs stay garaged.
I figure that when it's time to replace any part on this car, I'll try to go lighter if practical. Dropping 15-20# over the front wheels can't be a bad thing. :)

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I tried a Braile 17 and it was not adequate for street use unless I charged it when it sat in the garage. Relocating to the trunk is a good option for performance/balance.

nxhappy

Established Member
I think that every bit of weight lost will be a good thing, as long as I don't sacrifice too much in the trade off. I know that I need X amount of battery reserve capacity, but I don't sit for long running the stereo with engine off and it's not a winter driver; I live in SoCal mountains w/ plenty of ice & snow so Mustangs stay garaged.
I figure that when it's time to replace any part on this car, I'll try to go lighter if practical. Dropping 15-20# over the front wheels can't be a bad thing. :)

the bigger the battery, the more it weighs, the longer it will last .........you decide if it's worth the trade off ...

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member

Which Optima model are you referring to? I also bought the optima battery and it did not fit. Height was an issue. Did they finally come up with a tray that works too? I still use the Braile at the track.

nxhappy

Established Member
Which Optima model are you referring to? I also bought the optima battery and it did not fit. Height was an issue. Did they finally come up with a tray that works too? I still use the Braile at the track.

yes they have a tray that works, I don't have any part numbers though

oldlugs

Established Member
the bigger the battery, the more it weighs, the longer it will last .........you decide if it's worth the trade off ...

Nope; not what I was asking for. I want the car to lose some weight, not gain. Looking for the lightest reliable option that will last a while, and come in under $300.
If I were looking for max longevity and cranking amps, I'd put a big 8D in the trunk... This car is a canyon driver on a diet.

oldlugs

Established Member
Don't Optima batteries weigh as much or MORE than the stock Motorcraft does ??

oldlugs

Established Member
Surprisingly, I replaced the Motorcraft in my 03 with an Optima 34/78 and it was lighter with more CCA.

Interestingly, that battery you mention is listed as weighing 38.8#, while the stock Motorcraft in both my S197s is listed as weighing in at 31#. No doubt that the Optima is a good battery, but it's no lightweight.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Odyssey make a great product. I've seen the PC680 used in Terminators without any problems.
Agree with Travis. Many of us have used the PC680. I ran one in my Terminator for 3 years full time and had zero issues on the street or on the track. The PC680 and tray weighs 15,4 lbs, while the stock battery weighs in at about 37.6 lbs, thus resulting in a weight loss of 22.2 lbs. Not bad for an inexpensive mod. It was a while back but I believe I paid about $160 for the battery, tray, and terminals.

Now, it's going to be a more effective mod for the 03/04' Cobras because of the extreme front location of the battery in the engine compartment in those cars. Removing weight from in front of the front wheels is huge with weight transfer in these cars. With the GT500, with the battery located back by the firewall, it's still a nice mod but not quite as effective.

Nsssane1

Established Member
I've ran a Big Crank Etx30L on my car for 1.5 years. No problems!! And run 2 amps. $100. 22lbs. Built my own bracket for the factory tray.

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Be careful with light weight batteries. I had a braille 14 lbs battery and by the time I got down uploading my tune, car won't even crank. My ecu locked me out due to voltage drop. Had nothing but issues with it. 20 lbs don't worth the hustle for the street car.

oldlugs

Established Member
Well, I decided to give the little Odyssey PC680 a try, lowering the battery CG by laying it on it's side, and losing about 15# vs the stock battery. Made myself a new tray that drops the battery down about 1/2" lower than the stock tray would, and mine weighs about another 10 oz less than the factory plastic one and it's still plenty sturdy (aircraft birch ply). Battery is located with two strips of "industrial strength" Velcro, along with another Velcro strap around it. Cranks over like a a full size battery is in it. :)

15580876232_2f9be78e62_z.jpg
15580875022_593f0091b6_z.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Wood? That's a curious construction material considering where it's located.

oldlugs

Established Member
Wood? That's a curious construction material considering where it's located.

How so? It's pretty warm there, but still at least 10" from the exhaust manifold, and actually further from the exhaust than the factory plastic tray! I doubt it'll be any trouble at all. Not only is the wood light in weight, it helps to insulate the battery from both heat and vibration. That isn't just some cheap plywood, btw. The top (shelf) is laminated from 3 pieces of 3/16" birch ply (making it 3/8" thick), all sandwiched with slow-cure epoxy in a press. Anyway, if it doesn't work out well (time will tell), then I can make another with carbon fiber sheets. That may be even thinner & lighter, and look more appealing to some people. I could even use 6061 T6 aluminum I have laying around, but it wouldn't insulate as well as the ply.
I think that every car needs a bit of wood in its construction. Ever look at a vintage Morgan? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread