Limits of 3.5 ecoboost?

jon henry

Established Member
So with direct injection, No upgrades for pumps yet. What's the most power you've seen REAL people make on 91 octane? Anyone know what the limit is on these motors tuned correctly of course?

Jon

black-plasma

Established Member
You would need meth injection on 91 to make any real power. I think 435rwhp is the highest so far.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
on a private tour of the chicago assembly plant, it was mentioned that the 3.5EB has held 750hp in testing. in fact the SHO was planned to have 425HP(aimed at SRT8) but between the big wigs at FMC and insurance worries they changed the tune and turbo size to get the advertised 365. with tunes you make around 430-440, up just 3psi more, NO TIMING.

now held 750 and HOLDING 750 are two different things. there are a few different SHO guys working on bigger hotsides in hopes to hit 500whp.

the current limitation is not the 3.5EB, its the haldex awd system. the rear diff in the sho is currently torque rated at 150lbs. what this means is that when slippage is detected the haldex routes power to the rear, will with 435awhp(the currently most powerful SHO) is that when it launches the haldex sends "too much" power to the rear the PTU shuts the power off to save the system. resulting in a massive bog, until the ECU allows the power back on.

until a modification is made for the haldex system or someone runs the car FWD it looks like the AWD is the biggest limitation for the SHO(awd EB cars). it looks like 11.99 will be the fastest a SHO will go for now.

as far as the EB trucks just havent been played with enough yet.

jon henry

Established Member
Yeah I am talking truck here. I have a Livernoise tuner on there and it runs good. But I am coming from an 03 Cobra so. I was just curious on the most anyone has pushed one? What are is the fuel system capable of supporting? Etc...

jon henry

Established Member
Anyone? I know 03-04 Cobra blocks stock you could make 750-850 tuned safe, and octaned up. Is 500 rwhp possible out of these trucks? What size are the turbos? Fuel system? Liverniose you guy's gotta know, or someone...

black-plasma

Established Member
I'd call Livernois and ask for Rick. The turbo's are small to reduce lag, but Livernois does offer a service to enlarge them for extra hp/tq. There are no aftermarket fuel upgrades or larger turbo upgrades that are direct swaps right now.

If you wanted 500rwhp from you truck, you probably should of got the 5.0 and got a TVS supercharger. It would of been a lot easier, IMO.

jon henry

Established Member
I'd call Livernois and ask for Rick. The turbo's are small to reduce lag, but Livernois does offer a service to enlarge them for extra hp/tq. There are no aftermarket fuel upgrades or larger turbo upgrades that are direct swaps right now.

If you wanted 500rwhp from you truck, you probably should of got the 5.0 and got a TVS supercharger. It would of been a lot easier, IMO.

Ya the 5.0 is tough. But has NOTHING, forged in the motor. I would have to think that all in all the Ecoboost has more potential with turbos. I love blown cars but I think the twins will outshine the tvs truck all day. I also have a 6,000lb boat I don't think the 5.0 would like very much. I think in a yr or so they will crack 500 with ease just like my 03 was soooo easy to pull 755rwhp out of on a stock motor with a 2.9 whipple on straight 100...

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Anyone? I know 03-04 Cobra blocks stock you could make 750-850 tuned safe, and octaned up. Is 500 rwhp possible out of these trucks? What size are the turbos? Fuel system? Liverniose you guy's gotta know, or someone...

considering the trucks are the ONLY EB motors with forged rods id say 500whp is probably easily done. with bigger turbos, meth and DPs i bet you could smash through the 500whp barrier.

Users who are viewing this thread