Lincoln: Can Ford save them and how?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was thinking maybe Lincoln should take a page out of Fords book over the last few years,(that's I've been flaming Ford about overdoing) and try to get a little retro with their lineup. Maybe build a large body Continental with suicide swinging rear doors, built on a solid chassis with a competent, but comfortable suspension/brake setup, and a powerful v8,(using the Boss 6.2 as the bases for a new motor would be cool if they made it all aluminum, and added DI) and show it as a concept car, and see what the public's response to it is.

It would show people that Lincoln cares about offering unique, but modern, and cool cars that stays true to their roots of what made them popular luxury cars that people were proud to own 30/40 years ago. It would be true to the design concepts of what made them popular, instead of re-engineering a economy cars based platform that's already in existence. Lincoln has gotten way away from how they, and most other luxury brands go about building luxury vehicles for people who want to spend some decent money on a nice luxury car.

As much as a land yacht vehicle goes against current vehicle ideology, I think a new true Continental would be sick. I want to do a custom 67 Continental with an updated interior out of the new cars and a flow threw console to the rear seats. This car would sell very well with the people who don't give a shit about small cars and would like at least decent fuel mileage which is possible these days.

truefiveo

Established Member
Whats with this hipster talk?
Last time I checked the young hipster generation don't even care for cars nor to drive them.

These kids rather ride the bus and spend thier money on flashy style clothing/sneakers/ tattoos.

Some of you really need to get with the times.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
This. If you follow Cadillac on Instagram, half their posts are about their racecars. Cadillac's image is summed up as:

s1_1.jpg

That's what Lincoln needs to compete with.

Bingo!!! Build the Lincoln HRL...the Hot Rod Lincoln. To compete with Cadoos Lincoln is going to have to Bring It or Leave It. Both Caddies and Camaros are kicking ass in the Pirelli World Challenge...and elsewhere. Ford and Lincoln need to pick up their competitive performance game. In the 1960's it was Ford v. The World in endurance racing...time to do that again. Every car Lincoln is up against is a high performance car.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Lincoln is starting to get much better. They suffer from a brand image problem. Once the lineup is entirely refreshed it will be a much better brand. The newest ones are no longer just rebadged Fords. The Lincoln version of the Escape doesn't share any body panels with the Ford model and comes with a unique engine. I hate the MK naming scheme though.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If Ford wants to save Lincoln, I think they should concentrate on 4 models and make them comparable to Audi/Lexus/Infinity. BMW and Mercedes will have to wait until Lincoln has gained some rep(and these two piss off another 100,000 customers with their less than top tier quality).
The 4 models I envision:
Lincoln Sport: a two seat S550 based sport coupe
Lincoln Continental: Fusion based mid-size with all the hybrid/electric/Ecoboost options.
Lincoln Towncar: Rear drive full sized executive sedan that can be converted to a limousine.
Lincoln Redneck: the SUV model.

All models should have their own sheetmetal and unique look from the Ford offerings. Interiors should have nothing but soft and pleasant anywhere the occupants touch. Dashes should be clean and elegant, not busy. And no Lincoln should have stupid letter designations that keeps people from recognizing your product at a word.
Ford would have to accept losses for at least the next 8 years to bring Lincoln around, but it is possible.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have a 91 TC for a daily and love it it was my grandpas. I really like the new MKZ not to crazy about all the m names I think as well their new designs need to not be rebadged ford and there heading in the right direction. They need a two door with a coyote maybe call it the Mark vIIII a continental I really like that suicide design but doubt those could ever make production.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Everyone has pretty much covered it- They need to revamp their lineup.

S550 based car, the Mark IX. Mark VIII was a sport coupe with a bunch of innovations, and in 93 a land speed record. They need some sort of a halo car, not a fusion based bland crapbox

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
This would've saved Lincoln:
2002-lincoln-continental-concept.jpg

lincoln-continental-concept.jpg

This monstrousity, does not:
2013_Lincoln_MKZ_Hybrid_White_00025.jpg

lol no.

The above is some horrendous looking wannabe Chrysler 300.

Absolutely abhorrent.

The below at least has some good modern lines and styling.

Nobody in their right mind would drive the above continental concept. That thing is hideous.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
What Lincoln needs is to create The Buzz. They should go right up against the ATS & CTS. Like the New Cadillac ain't your daddy's Cadillac...Lincoln should leave the past behind. Nothing wrong with the MK designations...it's what behind the name/designation that counts these days. The edgier Lincoln CTS- killer should be less angular than the Cadillacs...but every bit as brawny. Think the 2015 Mustang...without any Ford visual cues. If the new Lincoln is based on the 550 platform everything is in place to kick performance up significantly. Unless Lincoln can create The Buzz... (throughout the industry) it will take Lincoln years to catch the likes of BMW, MB, Lexus, Jaguar... all known as performance marques.

Commercial: Raucous MK-X (or whatever)...cutting up the road...no music...nothing but speed, on the edge handing and V8 song. End of commercial..."Here's your freakin' Rock & Roll right here".

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I like the look of the new mkz, for $35 to 40k it is a great car with an ecoboost or hybrid powertrain. The mks styling is ok however the car is big bloated, heavy and is still small inside for a large car. Ford missed the boat on taurus mks redesign imo.

If they go back and create large luxo rear wheel drive cars like bmw and merc for Lincoln Ford could save the brand!

truefiveo

Established Member
I like the look of the new mkz, for $35 to 40k it is a great car with an ecoboost or hybrid powertrain. The mks styling is ok however the car is big bloated, heavy and is still small inside for a large car. Ford missed the boat on taurus mks redesign imo.

If they go back and create large luxo rear wheel drive cars like bmw and merc for Lincoln Ford could save the brand!

$35-$40k is way too much for an MKZ screw that.
Im sure in this economy even retired grandparents would pass on that thing.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member

Somehow I don't think big luxury sedans are the ticket. But, RWD is spot-on. On my daily commute through some of the wealthiest counties in the country (yeah, New Jersey) it seems like every 6th or so vehicle is a luxury marque. Mostly 3 series BMW's....rarely a 5 series. Plenty of Audis, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus...small to middle of the line, but very rarely a large sedan of any make.

Now if your talking SUVs there's an S---load of every make. Certainly a lot is BMWs...Lexi...Infinitis...and even Porsches. Occasionally a MB. And most of them are driven by no-talent, make believe race car drivers who drive with an arrogance you can't believe.

If you are talking luxury SUVs...sure. Large sedans?...not so much.

Frankly, Lincoln has to take on Cadillac first... and performance...with the requisite luxury and high quality that needs to go with it...IS the ticket.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Cadillac spent tons of money and time to re brand themselves as the cool American luxury car and the ctsv served them well and was a game changer I don't see Lincoln doing the same . They compared themselves to Lexus and to me Lexus is a dull car (except for the isf) honesty a super fast luxury taurus ago would be cool but at the end of he day is all about if ford wants to spend the dough. Which is sad because the new Lincoln's are really nice

jcthorne

Established Member
One of Ford's biggest problems revamping Lincoln is going to be its own dealer network. We bought into the Lincoln service hype 3 yrs ago and bought an MKT Ecoboost AWD. Once past the looks of it, was a nice driving, peppy people hauler for the wife. Until its first service visit. Between the useless dealer, lack of available parts in the system because of the vehicles limited production numbers and poor mechanics, the experience was pretty bad. After two years we had to get rid of it and then took a huge bath on the resale value, or lack thereof. Lost more than 50% in 2 yrs and 15k miles. Bought a new Escape and love it. So far much better service experience as well and we can get it serviced at more than 4000 Ford dealers. Lincoln says you can go to Ford dealers but when you try, the pretty much tell you they know nothing about them, cannot get parts and will not honor Lincoln service commitments like loaner cars etc. I will never own a Toyota or Lexus, but Lincoln does need to learn ALOT about how to service their customers if they are going to play in that market. Other wise its an overpriced Ford with less than Ford standard service.

It will be a cold day in you know where before I would consider another Lincoln purchase or recommend one. They would need to offer something truly unique to the label that I could not get elsewhere before I would even think about it.

Take this for what you will, the lesson cost me over $25,000 and lots of lost time to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread