Lincoln Mark VIII KB 2.1L Build

KC96LSC

Established Member
very nice, I'd never suspect the guts inside that thing. Nice sleeper!
Yeah it's basically all factory with the blower being the exception. The first car to have a 4.6 DOHC back in 1993, part of the reason I've been driving them for so long. I hope to surprise a few Mustangs :)

Tillerman77

Established Member
It's still an auto but manual is a very real possibility :) There's a few Mark VIII's that have been switched, never driven one but hopefully I can afford to do it one day. I've loved these cars long before I could afford one but I finally got my first one in 1999 and haven't looked back :) Here are some pics of my other Mark VIII's.

Wow!

KC96LSC

Established Member
seems like a pretty simple build. Thats once nice mn12 I'm partial to the platform being a supercoupe owner myself

being a stock bottom end high compression 4v be sure your tuner is well versed in tuning them. It is SIGNIFICANTLY different than an 03/04 cobra with low compression.

the ford 90mm lightning/cobra maf will work perfectly fine for what your doing. If you want the best you could get a PMAS hpx-e slot maf but its not really needed.

I would advise against the torque app and get a moates quarterhorse. You can kill 2 birds with 1 rifle as well since you use that for custom tuning as well.

3 gauges you should have would be boost oil pressure and wideband

get the aem digital wideband. yes you will need to add another bung for it. The stock narrowbands are required and are unaffected by the wideband.

give this a read it has a bunch of info that will help you out
Pre Tune Information / EFIDynoTuning

if you need any help getting her tuned don't hesitate to reach out

decipha, knowing first hand that you are someone that knows a vast amount of knowledge in several areas of the modular engines and more, I thought I'd share something that most people never know unless they owned a the Mark VIII. They had to make enough changes to the mn12 platform that they decided to give it it's own designation of FN10. The biggest difference is the more aluminum oriented focus on the FN10, there are MANY interchangeable parts between the two but there are also many differences as well. Don't ask me all the differences because I would have to look them up but Ford felt there were enough changes to give it it's own designation. Just a little useless info :)

Tillerman77

Established Member
Tillerman77, thank you for adding this recognition to the author. I'm not a big social media guy and forget to do things like that, again thanks.
Absolutely. Mark has helped me and many others on multiple forums with technical and electrical problems. He is a semi-retired electrical engineer with a passion for cars. As you will note if you dig into the other projects that he has documented, he has dissected almost every electromechanical device on his 96 Cobra.

KC96LSC

Established Member
Absolutely. Mark has helped me and many others on multiple forums with technical and electrical problems. He is a semi-retired electrical engineer with a passion for cars. As you will note if you dig into the other projects that he has documented, he has dissected almost every electromechanical device on his 96 Cobra.

It didn't take me very long to figure out that this was a person to listen to :). I read the first article he shared with me and then went to the home page to find more info. I'm from the early/mid 70's when I started learning about cars. I think a lot of the people in today's world don't really know what it was like back then. You went to your local garage and if your mechanic couldn't figure out your problem you were out of luck :) To be able to get advice from someone like decipha is invaluable. I don't know him other than his reply to my post but from just that I knew he was someone I hope to know better :)

Then once I started reading the first article it was obvious he knew his stuff. When I responded about the FN10 I was worried he might think I was acting like a smart ass but it was honestly just the opposite, I was hoping I could share something that maybe he didn't know, kinda returning the favor but he probably already knew what I was referring to. Thanks for the back and forth Tillerman77

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
actually i did know better but still I dont know why i have always though of them as mn12s tho for some reason. Im on the lincoln forum too ( i own one of the rare 5spd lincoln ls) and im on tccoa and sccoa so ud think id know better lol

KC96LSC

Established Member

I think I got confused, I thought you were referring to decipha but know I'm thinking that Mark is @mwolson the author of the IAT Relocation and IMRC Delete Project. Ether way both Mark and decipha are both way above my head when it comes to knowing about the intricate workings of this hobby :)

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I think I got confused, I thought you were referring to decipha but know I'm thinking that Mark is @mwolson the author of the IAT Relocation and IMRC Delete Project. Ether way both Mark and decipha are both way above my head when it comes to knowing about the intricate workings of this hobby :)

Yes, Mark = mwolson

KC96LSC

Established Member
actually i did know better but still I dont know why i have always though of them as mn12s tho for some reason. Im on the lincoln forum too ( i own one of the rare 5spd lincoln ls) and im on tccoa and sccoa so ud think id know better lol

I hesitated bring it up because like I said, if you don't own a Mark VIII the chances someone would know that info isn't reasonable. Now knowing you have a Lincoln it's some what relevant. I've always liked the LS (DEW98) :) but have always heard the stories of the issues with them, off the top of my head the things like something to do with the Fan or cooling system. Anyway I always figured it was similar to people talking about the nightmare of the Mark VIIIs air ride system. Once you know the car the issues are not as bad as people will make them out to be . :)

decipha

Established Member
true, i daily drive a marauder and it has a samiliar air bag setup. not bad at all i actually enjoy it. I have a brand spankin new 2019 chevy 1500 work truck and i absolutely hate it compared to the marauder

Tillerman77

Established Member
If I want to lurk on a forum for the LS and Mark VIII, which forum do you recommend?

decipha

Established Member
well crap. My driver side rear bag just shit the bed. Probably because she heard me talking about her.

true, i daily drive a marauder and it has a samiliar air bag setup. not bad at all i actually enjoy it. I have a brand spankin new 2019 chevy 1500 work truck and i absolutely hate it compared to the marauder

Users who are viewing this thread