Line Lock

Bosko

Established Member
Anyone here install a line lock on their 03 yet? ( like PHP's) How was the install? Do you think it would void warranty? Is their any down side or possable DANGERS performing this kind of modification to a every day street car?

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I don't have one, but I would think that a dealership looking for an excuse to void your warranty would have a pretty easy time doing so with this mod installed. Not much use for it other than doing burn outs. :shrug:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Elapidae
Not much use for it other than doing burn outs. :shrug:

The SVT supplement to the owners manual encourages burnouts so how could they possibly void your warranty for doing that? :lol: :burnout:

larryc7777

Established Member
A HUGE burnout is how John Colletti made the debut entrance into the 2002 Chicago Auto Show with the 03 Cobra.:burnout:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
The SVT supplement to the owners manual encourages burnouts so how could they possibly void your warranty for doing that? :lol: :burnout:

I know what you're saying, but hook one up and take it in if you don't believe me. :rolleyes:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
There is a link to a Line Lock install page on the site below. There are no downsides to installing one on a street car. Tell the dealer its to help you hold the car on a hill without burning up the clutch.

http://www.lx.net/jlynch

Joe Lynch

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by Joe Lynch
There is a link to a Line Lock install page on the site below. There are no downsides to installing one on a street car. Tell the dealer its to help you hold the car on a hill without burning up the clutch.

http://www.lx.net/jlynch

Joe Lynch

Hey... That's a good idea :idea:

Hadn't thought of that. :thumbsup:

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I saw an article in MM/FF several months back with a kit that had everyting you need for a Mustang...it even had a shifter ball option with the engage/release button on it. the kit was like $329 with the shifter ball....w/out the ball it was like $250 I think, I will look through my mags and post a price and company.

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Dealer cannot void warranty if what broke was not caused by the line-lock ie. If your tranny takes a dump the dealer cant say "You have a line lock so we're not gonna warranty your transmission." The two are not related.

Bosko

Established Member
What if something failed with the line lock hardware. Could you not be able to brake because the solinoid closes and sticks for what ever reason? Or could your tires lock up for some silly reason?

Thanks for the follow ups guys! 00yellow if you could get the issue date that would be great! Thnaks all!

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by NMRAcer
Dealer cannot void warranty if what broke was not caused by the line-lock ie. If your tranny takes a dump the dealer cant say "You have a line lock so we're not gonna warranty your transmission." The two are not related.

You say that, but what happens when they do void it? If you are worried about the warranty, don't do it. Ford can and does void any warranty at any time for whatever reason they feel like using. Read that last sentence one more time.

It'd be on you to hire a lawyer and fight it at that point. You can throw logic and MM warranty act at them all you want. They don't care. :shrug: It's up to you to PROVE the part didn't casue the damage, they assume it did. Good luck proving stuff like that..

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The default position for the Line Lok solenoid is open. Power must be applied to close the solenoid. The device is normally installed in only the front wheel brakes for drag racing applications. If it fails, it will probably fail in the open position (since that is where it is 99.999% of the time) and have no effect on the front brakes. If it should fail in the closed position after you have applied the brakes, the fronts would stay locked until you bled off the line pressure between the solenoid and the calipers and would prevent any more action by the front calipers until repairs were made to the system. The rear brakes are unaffected by the Line Lok system. Even if you were to engage this system with the car in motion, as long as the brakes were not applied, it would have no effect. It's like an electronic parking brake for the front wheels.
See Joe Lynch's page on the Line Lok install. It doesn't get any better than that.
Outside of a few minor changes due to personal taste, my install is identical to his. Thanks Joe!!
Others have installed one solenoid kit per front wheel. It's a simpler install because access is much easier, but costs twice as much. Has the same end result though. Your choice.
Hurst makes a good kit, not cheap, but good and also a fittings kit for the Mustang that will work on the '03 Cobras.
Let me know if I can tell you anything else.

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
lethal,
The two extra switches are for Intercooler Pump manual activation and High Speed Radiator Cooling Fan manual activation.
I made some labels in case I get confused later, I just haven't put them on yet.

Dana

Bosko

Established Member
Joe Lynch - I was looking at your set up for the Line Lock on your page. Does your setup lock both front tires or just one of them?

I am about ready to run down to the speed shop to go buy the kit.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
lethal,
The two extra switches are for Intercooler Pump manual activation and High Speed Radiator Cooling Fan manual activation.
I made some labels in case I get confused later, I just haven't put them on yet.

Dana

Dana,
Where and what wires did you connect to, to accomplish that?

JT

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Bosko,
I can answer that since mine is the same as Joes's. It locks both front wheels.
Get the Ford Mustang Adapter kit too. It contains the metric to standard adapter fittings.

jtfx,
Both connections can be made at the PCM. Both switches bring the wires to ground. The wires numbers/colors have been posted here before, but I'll look them up as soon as I get a chance.

I've ordered a intercooler fan kit from Amazon Racing and that should be here today, I think. I'll probably also cut that into the pump switch, unless it goes on automatically when the pump goes on, I don't know yet.

OK , here you go:
At the PCM connection, rh kick panel, pin #82 (WH/OG) is for the Cooler pump and pin #46 (LG/VT) is for the high speed fan.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread