Little Extra E85 in the trunk?

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
Hey all. Quick question for you vodka users... My car is tuned for E85. I live in rural South Dakota (damn farm girls). The guy that had the car before me carried a VP 5 gallon race can in the trunk. The spare was removed and the bottle sat in the spare tire space. I am not a fan of the way it looks. I am in the process of replacing the spare and adding new carpet because is was cut. I don't like not having a spare tire in my car. Any of you store E85 in the back for emergencies? E85 is not just around the corner from me at this time. I would like to add a sealed extra tank take somehow, but safely and without removing the tire. The fuel goes pretty fast when getting into the 28lbs of boost... Thanks...

boost4me

Banned
Man I hear you... just switched to E85. I love it, but holy shit, it goes fast. I haven't done a cruising highway trip with no fuel dumping boost episodes to see what my actual mileage is but my first couple tanks only got me about 180 miles.

I've kind of decided that if I go on a long trip I will probably put two 5 gallon jugs in the trunk and bungie them down or something. probably not the safest thing to do, not really sure what else I can do though.

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
Thanks for feeling my pain. The 105 lb injectors sure are thirsty. I guess I will throw some extra in the trunk. I would love to drive the car on long road trips but don't want to get stuck somewhere without the E... Let me know if u come up with anything. I'll do the same...

boost4me

Banned
I was thinking about making a 91 or 93 Unleaded Tune, just for long trips when I go out of my comfort zone for getting E85. Of course I would have to plan in advance and pump the tank out to empty and then fill it up with unleaded.

However, lets say you were on a long trip and got yourself in a near out of gas situation and you pull into a gas only station, you could hook up a fuel pressure gauge hose, let it idle for 15-30 minutes and dump the remaining E85 into a little 5 gallon jug until it stalls out... then load your gasoline tune and fill up with unleaded.

There is also a pretty cool app for iPhone and probably Android, called Flex Fuel Station Locator.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Unless you drive the car with no WOT blasts, the range is going to be very poor. If I knew I was taking a road trip, and insisted on taking my cobra, I'd just switch it over to the pump gas tune. Keep a pulley, belt, and handheld with you. The idea of storing extra containers of E85 in the car would be about the last thing I'd consider. A belt and tune change is easy and fast.

boost4me

Banned
Yeah I agree, gas jugs in the trunk is pretty stupid...

But a belt, pulley and tune change? If your gas tune backs out enough timing, you don't need to worry about changing pulleys I would think.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yeah I agree, gas jugs in the trunk is pretty stupid...

But a belt, pulley and tune change? If your gas tune backs out enough timing, you don't need to worry about changing pulleys I would think

Mine is so easy to change, I'd go ahead and take the necessary Allen wrench to do it. My car also has a sliding adjustable whipple tensioner....so I don't even have to change belts, the same size belt is reused. Going E85 to 93, i think my car would run off the chart rich if I made no tune change. I could probably get away with the 22psi pulley, as long as I stayed out of boost, but carrying the handheld and dropping in the proper tune is so easy why not carry it? No tune change would pop rich codes and it would run very poor. My 93 tune is 17psi and is all manipulated by upper only swaps (3.0 for 93, 2.6 for E85). Lower is factory.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Also, I don't think it's totally necessary to run out every last drop of whatever you're running before a swap. Just get it close driving or idling. Purging with a line to a tank is not necessary. You have less than 2 gal E85 and drop n 13 gal 93, make the tune change.....it will run just slightly leaner. Just drive sanely out of boost. Conversely, less than 2 gal 93...drop in 13 gal E85, make tune change...it will run just slightly richer. Burn down some fuel cruising...drop in more of the swapped fuel and it will be diluted to the appropriate mix even further.

I think any of these ideas is safer than carrying around fuel jugs. Just drive safely on your trip, don't hit boost at every corner and your motor should be fine.

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
I can't even find 93 octane in SD. I know, it is stupid but it is reality. Retuning is the last thing I would want to do.... ugh.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
For "emergency" type situations on road trips etc. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just a pump gas tune is all you need. I've been stuck out in the turbo Honda a few times with not much E85 left in tank. Probably just a couple gallons. I just pump in 91 and use my pump gas tune and it's really close on A/F and good to go. On the turbo car it's super easy to turn down boost as it's all electronically controlled. In fact my pump gas tune automatically takes care of boost and timing so I just switch tunes (flip a switch on it) and WOT off on pump gas.
On the Cobra I'd at least make sure lots of timing was pulled from the tune as I wouldn't want to bother with pulley swaps each time but as c6zhombre says with the right setup swapping pulleys is quick and easy.

TheCat033

"The Green Monster"
Established Member
I usually plan ahead for where and how far I'll be driving, i'll trow a 5 gallon gas can or two in the trunk as needed

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I can't even find 93 octane in SD. I know, it is stupid but it is reality. Retuning is the last thing I would want to do.... ugh.

So you're saying you have no pump gas tune at all, only an E85 tune? Ya, that would be problematic. You need a pump gasoline tune. It doesn't matter what flavor your state has available....91 or 93...get one from your tuner. That's terrible inflexibility not having one as backup.

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
I agree. My closest tuner is 4 hours away. I may do the 91 tune in the future. I bought the car with the e85 tune only. It's not a huge problem but I would like the option at least. Thanks for all the advice guys... much appreciated..

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless you drive the car with no WOT blasts, the range is going to be very poor. If I knew I was taking a road trip, and insisted on taking my cobra, I'd just switch it over to the pump gas tune. Keep a pulley, belt, and handheld with you. The idea of storing extra containers of E85 in the car would be about the last thing I'd consider. A belt and tune change is easy and fast.

This is exactly how I would go about it. Some guys in Minnesota here want to setup a cobra meet which would be fun. But if it's any distance I may need to switch over to the boring 17 psi and 92 octane tune. I'll keep my handheld in the car along with a e85 tester in case I find a station.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I made two road trips this year. I used the first one as an excuse to "pickle" the fuel system and filled up on 93/swapped tunes before the trip. I used the app for the other one and called to verify E85 was really available at the mapped stations before leaving on the second one. I took two full jugs with me just in case. All went well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

oldmodman

Established Member
Tiny trailer.
50 gallons of E-85. RV battery and electric pump to transfer fuel.
15" wheels and slicks. Skinnies for front.
Floor jack.
Why fool around.

Users who are viewing this thread