Little VHT-Nightshade Action

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Little Monday Covid Non-Essential action. Been wanting to do this for a while now.
Here is what I started with. Stock 2015 tail lights with tint and then AM plastic covers. Red and Orange clash terrible so I wanted them tinted. Looks cheesy and cheap with the plastic covers IMO.
21.jpg

Most of the time spent was removing the plastic covers, Velcro, tint and glue residue.
22.jpg

Then the taping.
23.jpg

I did one only to see if I would be happy with the outcome. Replacing one is cheaper than two but I believe brake cleaner would have removed the VHT with no damage to the plastic. Luckily I have not had to try that theory. Here is one completed.

24.jpg

I wanted to clean them up and send them off to a guy who did my F150 tails in Arizona but the expense would have been 400-500 bucks with shipping and his fees. Might have been a place in town but that would have taken less time and I was bored. Although it would have looked better I'm sure. Here are my Trucks tails...nearly a grand in these upgraded LEDs, paint, tint, shipping.
52998024_10156890393210928_2341680439669817344_n.jpg

In the end I'm happy and glad to have the tacky plastic covers off and still have the tint level that looks good with the rest of the blacked out package theme I have going on.
25.jpg

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Been wanting to do this to the third brake light of my truck. Did you wet sand or anything? How many coats?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Been wanting to do this to the third brake light of my truck. Did you wet sand or anything? How many coats?
I get your thought process on a wet sand as paint would adhere better. I did not sand at all because I did not want to disfigure these lights in case I wanted to take this off in the future, if even possible. I prepped really well with soap and water and then many wipes with alcohol and one of my wife's make-up removing pads. Initial coat is very light so the next coat will adhere easier. I put on roughly three coats to get this darkness. Just do it till your happy as the more you do the darker it will get.

Reaper14

Established Member
I might try this on my 14'. I dont like the way it looks with tint & would like the whole light black, not just the reverse clears. Was this just spray can VHT?

Vic

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A78E0818-C5F2-4D4C-97C3-AFABD1898647.png
I might try this on my 14'. I dont like the way it looks with tint & would like the whole light black, not just the reverse clears. Was this just spray can VHT?

Vic
Yes Vic, this here. Think I’m gonna tint out a light on my truck today.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I would be so afraid to tint my tails.
Are you covered by insurance if you get rearended?
I'm sure if the "rearender" made a stink about it, something may happen.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Legit Question, tint obviously diminishes light output. With a good lawyer and at night you might win a rear end collision being the rear-ender. It’s a gamble no doubt.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

I highly doubt any insurance company would notice that. plus that's why we have third brake lights, that's what tells people you're stopping.
and regardless, when you get rear ended it's automatically their fault.

slow poke

Established Member
That's what I peeled off in the one pic, not impressed.

Must be some variety in the level of tint and fit with what's offered. I did my 2013 with a cheap pre cut dark vinyl tint. I took a chance but it came out great and really dark the way I wanted it.

Was the vinyl tint darker than the nite shade for you?

I've seen the spray be all over the place in terms of consistency and color.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
why do you say that? rules of driving are you are supposed to keep a safe enough distance at every speed to avoid hitting someone from behind.

Why do I say that? Because it is true.
Its a myth.
Yes, USUALLY the person who does the rearending is at fault, but NOT always.
One example is when you have no tails.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Must be some variety in the level of tint and fit with what's offered. I did my 2013 with a cheap pre cut dark vinyl tint. I took a chance but it came out great and really dark the way I wanted it.

The tint

The tint that was on there before wasn't dark enough for me but I'm sure you can find darker tint. Even though it was a cut piece it still did not cover everything. The reason I just decided to black them out with the covers. I liked them blacked out but the covers take away the shape of the light which is iconic to the Mustang. I liked them for a year or two but they started to fade with me. You're absolutely correct in that the spray could be all over the place if not consistent. I did some painting in the Navy so I was somewhat confident with my abilities to not completely screw it up, lol. Better than before, not as great as they could be had I sent them off.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Why do I say that? Because it is true.
Its a myth.
Yes, USUALLY the person who does the rearending is at fault, but NOT always.
One example is when you have no tails.

Agreed, I was rear ended and was pushed into the car in front of me, the trooper I spoke too said if we were still moving it would have been my fault for following too closely but since we had witnesses say I was at a complete stop when I was hit from behind they would be responsible for both my car and the car in front of me.

That was in my civic, my mustang with tinted tails was at home and after thinking about that accident I realized if I had been in my mustang and other driver claimed she couldn't see my brake lights I could have been blamed. I ordered new tail lights shortly after.

OP it looks great just beware of potential downsides and be sure there is still plenty of visible light coming through.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Agreed, I was rear ended and was pushed into the car in front of me, the trooper I spoke too said if we were still moving it would have been my fault for following too closely but since we had witnesses say I was at a complete stop when I was hit from behind they would be responsible for both my car and the car in front of me.

That was in my civic, my mustang with tinted tails was at home and after thinking about that accident I realized if I had been in my mustang and other driver claimed she couldn't see my brake lights I could have been blamed. I ordered new tail lights shortly after.

OP it looks great just beware of potential downsides and be sure there is still plenty of visible light coming through.
Luckily these are brighter than the previous.

Users who are viewing this thread