Local dealer offered me a Shelby for $51k

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
A Ford dealer I've talked to a number of times about Mustangs just called me a few minutes ago. Seems he is getting two Shelby's and one is already sold. He offered me the second one (supposed to be white with blue stripes) for a 'very generous and fair price' of $51k.

I asked him what MSRP was and he said with shipping it's supposed to be ~$41k.

"So you're marking it up $10k then?" :nonono:

"Yeah... most dealers are marking them higher than that; we think this is a generous and very fair price."

"So, IF I did want to buy this car, what do I need to do?"

"Just come on in to our dealership, put down a $10,000 (YES - he asked for $10K!) non-refundable deposit and the car is yours." :eek:

"I'll get back to you..."

Sheesh.... sound familiar?

R1Lello

Established Member
Raven said:
A Ford dealer I've talked to a number of times about Mustangs just called me a few minutes ago. Seems he is getting two Shelby's and one is already sold. He offered me the second one (supposed to be white with blue stripes) for a 'very generous and fair price' of $51k.

I asked him what MSRP was and he said with shipping it's supposed to be ~$41k.

"So you're marking it up $10k then?" :nonono:

"Yeah... most dealers are marking them higher than that; we think this is a generous and very fair price."

"So, IF I did want to buy this car, what do I need to do?"

"Just come on in to our dealership, put down a $10,000 (YES - he asked for $10K!) non-refundable deposit and the car is yours." :eek:

"I'll get back to you..."

Sheesh.... sound familiar?

Tell him for the extra 10K, he's have to kiss your a$$ !!! and build the addition on your house

venams03

Established Member
Funny. Same thing happened to me about 3 hours ago. Fair Oaks Ford Naperville called me to tell me that I'm high up the list and being offered a chance to buy the car. "What's the price", I asked. 20k over sticker which should be around 42K....these are going on ebay for... I cut him off right there. Told him "good luck with that and kindly take me off the list", then I hung up. This is actually the 4th scenario that played out the same. I guess when everyone else does the same as I just did, they'll eventually change their game plan. It's just a matter of time....

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
I'm glad that you guys did tell him to screw himself. Hopefully there are more people like you out there that are fed up with the way dealers are truely screwing their potential customers. It is just a repeat of when the 03's came out. There were a few idiots that paid way over sticker to get one and now the are taking a bath trying to sell it. I think that Ford should enforce a policy that dealers can not sell their vehicles for more than MSRP.

2KSVT

Established Member
Well, the way the franchising laws are set up now, Ford can't cap the price on them. Dealer pays for the car upfront, so as soon as it's delivered to the dealer lot, they "own" the car. It'd be different if they paid FoMoCo after the sale. MSRP is the "suggested" retail price. Plus, if you don't allow cars to be sold over MSRP, you can forget about ever getting a car under MSRP as well. Cuts both ways.

If you don't have to be the first guy on your block to have one, wait it out. There's gonna be plenty of these things around at MSRP or possibly lower after 6 months or so. This scenario has played itself out time and time again with so many different cars ('03 Cobra, PT Cruiser, Viper back around '91, Z06, Thunderbird, etc.)... let the "absolutely-gotta-have-it"s pay the premium and let the market even itself out.

Jay G

Established Member
Have patience wait it out then take the ten grand and add a whipple or kenne bell upgrade or wheels and tires(cuz the stockers are fugly) but definatley do not pay ten grand for no reason at all.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Jay G said:
Have patience wait it out then take the ten grand and add a whipple or kenne bell upgrade or wheels and tires(cuz the stockers are fugly) but definatley do not pay ten grand for no reason at all.

I'm going to wait it out. There is no way that the Shelby is worth a dollar over MSRP. Not in my view.

So, this time next year, I expect we'll see prices on these hard to insure (but gorgeous) Mustangs that are more in line with reality. I'm in no hurry and I can wait 'em out. :read:

03miamisnake

Established Member
Raven said:
I'm going to wait it out. There is no way that the Shelby is worth a dollar over MSRP. Not in my view.

Considering you immediately have to change the rims, tires & suspension ($2-5K) just to get the car to look like it should, I would agree.

Users who are viewing this thread