Locked HP tune

01blckcobra

Established Member
well I think that going back and forth on why tuners do what they do is irrelevant...one we cannot stop them from doing what they choose to do, just go somewhere else. your choosing someone for their expertise, and YES you are paying for that, so the tune in legality standpoint is yours, however the intellectual property within that tune is trade secret and belongs to the tuner...its a weird thing but i looked it up and checked it with my friend who is a litigator for vanguard.

POINT is my car runs like shit... and i need help :) you guys have been great, after i get my new parts installed the next step is HOW well is it running, if thatch the case im prop going to spend the money on the quarter horse so I can see if mi able to tune out anything not smooth myself. If not ill be out a little money and time and have to have it pro tuned by someone who 100% knows what they are doing.
Any software is worth the investment. Always plenty of people on here that are willing to help if you get stuck or have questions.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Take the plans for your custom house and try to sell them for profit, you will find yourself served and in court.

The Chinese have the same attitude about this, plenty of companies no longer around as a result. Hell, someone already shipped John Klasses new SR-71 cylinder head off to China to be copied. Perfectly OK right? Guy bought the head, he can rip it off, right?

previous company I worked for did a lot of product trade shows etc...we used to chase those thieving m'fers out of our exhibitor booths...we also would lock up our products at trade shows when shutting down for the evening. Many of the other exhibitors would do the same thing, these ****ers would steal, take a lot of detailed pictures etc...

Ted B

Established Member
@Weather Man thanks but, I am really hoping that replacing my mafia and stock maf will put me in the ball park, but even when the car was running good, i felt a little hesitation sometimes so i may still look into the ECU ad don module for data logging, If and only IF i can keep my current tune active and just look at whats been done as compared to the stock Mach 1 program. I have a really cool program that will take two binary documents and highlight any changes between the two. You guys have all been great help and I'm sure will be in the future. I would to if anyone if comfortable Dm'ing me there phone number and helping talk through some of the ups and downs of tuning on my own, so if anyone has a lot of experience, with irremovable of things like the ERG and the pipe, and some other small mods id love to hear whatever you guys have to say about it.

Ted B

Established Member
@03Snake04 yeah that sucks to hear that there are scumbags out there that will do that, however i'm not one of them. I have an 11yr old super charger on my car that had 5 different owners so I really need to know to the best of my ability what is going on so I can make it safe and derivable at the 400+hp range i'm looking to achieve the best way to do so, and unless people throw some crazy stuff at me that i think is just complete bullshit ill listen and analyze, and learn what I can to be a better tuner and learn how to make my car reliable to the best of the motorcraft parts I can! :)

Again thanks everyone for your input its given me ideas I would have never though up so please keep it up, and I will update via this thread on how things are doing!

decipha

Established Member
You'd be making a mistake trying to argue real estate with someone that has allodial titles on all their properties. If you have a custom house built and you use an AIA B100 form or the like your an idiot and shouldn't be conducting business. The first thing you do when building anything is explicitly retain ownership of all designs explicitly stated in the work made for hire contract. But I'm glad you brought that up. The only architects that try to retain rights to their work are the ones that aren't worth a shit. Any good architect just like any good tuner will look at their earlier work and realize just how much more knowledgeable they are attempting to protect any 'trade secrets' in there would be futile. And for the record, anyone can sell house plans that aren't copyrighted which isn't even related to this since the the OP is not trying to sell his tune or make any profit he simply wants to modify it so he can continue to use it.

Take the plans for your custom house and try to sell them for profit, you will find yourself served and in court.

The Chinese have the same attitude about this, plenty of companies no longer around as a result. Hell, someone already shipped John Klasses new SR-71 cylinder head off to China to be copied. Perfectly OK right? Guy bought the head, he can rip it off, right?

decipha

Established Member
I like decipha. He's helped me in the past. But my biggest issue is the word free being thrown around. Yeah, the software is free, but you still have to buy the equipment to connect to the car. The Moates is $250 right? Does that include the cable and everything else needed? For comparison I paid $300 for my archaic SCT software that I've had for over 10 years. In the time I've had it I've only added one car to it. Most people that tune only need to worry about tuning their own cars so they don't care about needing to add other cars.

If I didn't have software already I'd look into decipha's set up. But since I do I'm not really wanting to drop another $250 on more stuff when I'm currently set up and it works just fine for me. Even with all the steps I had my car tuned in about half a day. That includes having to drive and datalog.

YMMV

its free as in I don't get a single penny. I spend thousands of hours creating all this support and when I'm done I freely give it away. I have a support forum and website that I maintain everyday for free. The software is free. The custom tuning support is free. You paid $300 for the tuning software. Well you can go to my website and download it right now for free.

The hardware is not mine its from www.moates.net Its just a means to plug in to the ecu and interface it. Surely you didn't get your handheld free and most likely would have paid more than $250 for it brand new in box.

Yes the QH comes with the usb cable. There is nothing else you need.

Getting Started / EFIDynoTuning

Ted B

Established Member
Alright people I think its time to reeeeeel it in, seems like we got a bit off topic. Anyway Ill soon have my Mafia, And right off the bat I can see that my MAF is bad as the thermometers are completely damaged and one is missing. So once I get these two parts installed, and the car runs like it should finally knowing how much air is actually coming into the car, I think I may go the route of trying out the Quater horse, and seeing what it has to offer. I mean for 250$ being able to real time sample at 2000 times a second I think is worth that price alone not even going into the fact that I can edit every bit of the binary.

shurur

Established Member
I like decipha. He's helped me in the past. But my biggest issue is the word free being thrown around. Yeah, the software is free, but you still have to buy the equipment to connect to the car. The Moates is $250 right? Does that include the cable and everything else needed? For comparison I paid $300 for my archaic SCT software that I've had for over 10 years. In the time I've had it I've only added one car to it. Most people that tune only need to worry about tuning their own cars so they don't care about needing to add other cars.

If I didn't have software already I'd look into decipha's set up. But since I do I'm not really wanting to drop another $250 on more stuff when I'm currently set up and it works just fine for me. Even with all the steps I had my car tuned in about half a day. That includes having to drive and datalog.

YMMV

Thanks for the post.
This works for me as I already have the windows laptop with VCDS for my Audi.
The cable is worth it for me. I like the idea of not going somewhere to get her tuned.

Ted B

Established Member
Just an update Car is back in once piece, turns out not only was the Mafia not working with no signs of fault (12v out was dead) my Maf had also started to fail but not 100 of the time. So my tune is ok, albeit I prob should get it re-tuned so I have the tune on file, and I know exactly what the tune is doing since I'm not the original owner. So I hope this helps, I have TONS of info on the inner workings and diagnostics on the 4v procharger system if anyone needs any help lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread