LoJack

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
According to the Service Manager at my Ford dealer, LoJack is kaput. The phone numbers on the literature are all disconnected.

He helped me locate and disconnect the LoJack units in my 2 Mustangs (under the rear seat) and now the battery discharge problems are gone.

I took one unit apart; it has a 6 volt lithium battery on it which eventually dies, causing the unit to become an electrical drain.

txyaloo

Established Member
Actually, it does make a difference. You said they were "kaput" which is simply not true.

Also, LoJack acknowledges the devices use the car's battery power.

Frequently Asked Questions about the LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System

It's no big secret. LoJack will do a service call and replace the batteries for ~$80. If you're handy, you can replace them yourself for around $10.

The parasitic drain is a pretty common sign that the unit needs a service call.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Actually, it does make a difference. You said they were "kaput" which is simply not true.

Also, LoJack acknowledges the devices use the car's battery power.

Frequently Asked Questions about the LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System

It's no big secret. LoJack will do a service call and replace the batteries for ~$80. If you're handy, you can replace them yourself for around $10.

The parasitic drain is a pretty common sign that the unit needs a service call.

That is some good info. I never knew LoJack uses the car's battery power. Good and usable info about replacing the batteries, too. Just curious. If the unit has its own 6 volt lithium battery why does it need power from the car's battery as well? Is the 6 volt battery a backup to the car's battery?

txyaloo

Established Member
That is some good info. I never knew LoJack uses the car's battery power. Good and usable info about replacing the batteries, too. Just curious. If the unit has its own 6 volt lithium battery why does it need power from the car's battery as well? Is the 6 volt battery a backup to the car's battery?

Exactly. The 6 volt is a backup in case the car's battery is disconnected. It allows the unit to still transmit for a number of hours.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I have had all of my vehicles LoJacked for some time. good peace of mind that you will at the very least should get it back, and hopefully quickly.

it's a good thing for any car enthusiast who has dumped money in a car.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member

According to the SM, it's designed to run the unit if a thief disconnects the car battery. But all such batteries eventually fail. And in normal operation, the LoJack apparently draws enough to discharge the car battery. At least my 2 units did. Maybe they changed the design :shrug:

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
lojack? i plan on using a prepaid cell phone, tapped into a power supply, which is hidden. ringer off, auto answer calls... that way i can hear the f'ers talk. phones can be tracked via gps. cheap $50 phone, some services only require $10 every 3-4 months to keep the # active.

there was a write up or video on it before.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
If the car is driven daily - it is not an issue. It is only an issue if you leave the car parked for over a week. Even so - a battery tender resolves the issue.

oldmodman

Established Member
If the car is driven daily - it is not an issue. It is only an issue if you leave the car parked for over a week. Even so - a battery tender resolves the issue.

Absolutely correct. I have a fairly high current drain on my 03Cobra and it is the Lojack charging itself. Plus since the Lojack is now 8 years old it's time to put in a new battery. Any suggestions on where to look for it within the car and what type of battery does it require.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
When I signed up for the LoJack Service, they said it required maintenance very 2 years. It was $100 estimate and if I remember correctly - the tech will come to you (things may have changed since then). I have never done it ($$ has been a bit tight lately), but I assume that changing the battery is probably part of the maintenance.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Didn't know they had a battery on them, probably time to get mine serviced.

Been thinking of upgrading to the early warning one, or whatever it is called.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Absolutely correct. I have a fairly high current drain on my 03Cobra and it is the Lojack charging itself. Plus since the Lojack is now 8 years old it's time to put in a new battery. Any suggestions on where to look for it within the car and what type of battery does it require.

They found mine under the rear seat; when I get back home, I'll grab and post a photo of the unit.

LoJack1.jpg

LoJack2.jpg

LoJack3.jpg

Your model, and it's battery, may be different. The location of the unit in your car may be different.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member

I'd start by calling LoJack too see how much a service call will cost you.

The box can be hidden pretty much anywhere.

These batteries will work:

LoJack2.jpg

This is what the original pack looks like unwrapped:

LoJack3.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
These batteries will work:

LoJack2.jpg

This is what the original pack looks like unwrapped:

LoJack3.jpg

Thanks!

I have a whole refrigerator full of those batteries. I not only use them in all my "cop" flashlights, buy I make up the same type of two packs to use in my Broadcast cameras for time code back up.

The funny thing is that those batteries are not rechargeable. And if you do hook them up to a charger they are likely to catch on fire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread