Long Tube Header Fix With PICTURES! No More bad 02's!

Doug1227

Established Member
Does this only affect the sensors placed in the longtube headers or also the (2) in the offroad H? I've got the parts now, but nothing has been installed, so now's the time to relocate the bungs if necessary. Headers are JBA FWIW.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Does this only affect the sensors placed in the longtube headers or also the (2) in the offroad H? I've got the parts now, but nothing has been installed, so now's the time to relocate the bungs if necessary. Headers are JBA FWIW.

It has nothing to do with the header brand. It has to do with the clock position of the 02s and with them at the 3:00 they are prone to retain condensation and burn out. I would relo now while they're off the car.

Doug1227

Established Member
I understand that...I'm asking if the sensor location on the hpipe is suspect as well or just the LT headers.

Doug1227

Established Member
Ok cool. I didn't want to have the rears fail when I could just relocate those at the same time.

NOWARRANTY

Established Member
Could someone please school me on why someone shouldn't think this is a design flaw? Do ALL long tube header brands place the O2 bung in the same exact angle? If it has to due with companies trying to accommodate both Auto & Stick cars using the same header design then the logic of doing so seems flawed if the manual folks are needing to pay extra to fix a new header. I would rather pay a little more up front and get a header that places the bung at the correct angle for a manual. :shrug:

Nuar

Established Member
The manufacturers are completely oblivious to the issue at hand.
This is OBVIOUSLY an issue, a huge issue at that! yet they keep pumping these things out without taking the time to correct the issue.
I think I have another bad o2 sensor on my car.
It stalled twice since I took it out of storage..
I need to find a shop that will do this mod for me :/

Shredd

Established Member
Ok Ive been slacking on getting these pictures out. I was haveing problems on e85 within 150 miles I lost 3 02 sensors. So I swapped back to 91 octane and the problem went away. So I put some miles on with 91 octane and then had my 02 sensors relocated with new 02 sensor bungs at an angle.

Since relocating and going back to e85 I have put close to 700miles with no failure at all.

As you can tell from the picture the orignal bungs are capped and new bungs are welded at a wires up angle.

I could have had them angled alot more and choose just to angle enough for a difference.

Are you still on E85? Any more O2 issues?

Mark Aubele

Established Member
I did this, still have issues with Pypes headers. Last longer, but still have replaced 2x in about 3000 miles and about 15 track/Autocross/Hillclimb events.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^problem may be in the tune, O2 transport delay needs to be adjusted and if you are running extenders, get rid of them. I would also check for exhaust leaks close to the upstream O2 bungs. I had bungs welded in and the guy did sloppy ****ing work, had a big ass leak on both of them, that is no bueno.

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

Established Member
No extensions. Car gets tracked and exhaust hits ground fairly often, so I didn't think too much of replacing them more often. No exhaust leaks that I know of. I do wish I could go back and spend the money on Kooks.

twistedneck

Established Member
No extensions. Car gets tracked and exhaust hits ground fairly often, so I didn't think too much of replacing them more often. No exhaust leaks that I know of. I do wish I could go back and spend the money on Kooks.

I have kooks long tubes, been running E85 for 3 years now, after 2 years both my sensors went! I don't think kooks are perfect.

Is there some type of spray we an apply on headers that will bake on and keep heat in?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Ok Ive been slacking on getting these pictures out. I was haveing problems on e85 within 150 miles I lost 3 02 sensors. So I swapped back to 91 octane and the problem went away. So I put some miles on with 91 octane and then had my 02 sensors relocated with new 02 sensor bungs at an angle.

Since relocating and going back to e85 I have put close to 700miles with no failure at all.

As you can tell from the picture the orignal bungs are capped and new bungs are welded at a wires up angle.

I could have had them angled alot more and choose just to angle enough for a difference.

Are you still on E85? Any more O2 issues?

I never lost anymore sensors on the pypes LT's. Swapped over to stainless power headers and have not relocated the 02 sensors and so far no failures. But I have also switched tuners as well since then.

rotarymagic

Established Member
If you don't mind, what was the reasoning behind swapping from pypes to stainless power headers?

rotarymagic

Established Member
Did you not have the stepped pypes or does straight 1 7/8s headers make that much of a difference? paxton car, right?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I've been running ARH and E85 in my 15 now for about 3 months. I did not relocate these O2 sensor bungs like I did on my SW. So far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread