Long tube headers, which Primary size is 'best'?

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Not to bring a old thread up. But I took the gamble and bought the kooks 1-5/8" for my boss. I plan on buildings custom FULL 3" exhaust to top it off. I'll be sure to post the dyno sheets and install pics for everyone.

TurboX2

Established Member
Not to bring a old thread up. But I took the gamble and bought the kooks 1-5/8" for my boss. I plan on buildings custom FULL 3" exhaust to top it off. I'll be sure to post the dyno sheets and install pics for everyone.

Awesome. I was just reading through this thread and going to ask Shaun if he had seen Kooks or ARH 1-5/8" yet as I'm very curious if they would make a better torque curve. The 'Coyote Stock' setups come with 2.75" x pipe also, if you were a true guinnea pig you would use that too.... :banana: When do you plan to install?

Last edited:

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
I bought 1-7/8" SW headers because they are easy to sell. LOL. 1-3/4" and especially 1-5/8" headers are harder to get rid of.:lol1::rolling:

kodexkustoms

Established Member
I actually talked to Vince at burns stainless today and he also seems to think that 1-3/4 and 1-7/8 are overkill. He said my combo would be very close to needing 1-3/4 but says it might JUST need it.

I think I'm gonna buy a new x pipe tonight so the install shouldn't be too far away. But I have no baseline and may not have it dyno'd right after the headers.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Just saw this post.

Shaun - I'm in the process of getting Kooks 1-7/8" headers as Drew over here recommended to go with those specifically for bigger up top power. He advised you'd lose a little down low (still gain some TQ, but, not as much) but gain more upper RPM power with the 1-7/8".

Based on my mods, AED Tune, Ported CJ, SCJ TB, Drew's 4.5" Intake W/Amsoil Dry GT500 Filter, Kooks O/R X or H Pipe (I currently have Lethal's H-Pipe and Stock Headers), Borla-S Axle Backs, should I go with 1-7/8"? Primarily, I don't see the track often, but, like to have fun off the track making quick pulls and such and I do want the sound of a Long Tube.

My car will be staying N/A and this is the last big-mod I do for at least a couple 2-3 years.

Once I get everything settled, I'll be bugging you again for a revision on the tune for the headers, haha. You're the man Shaun.

-Chris

Last edited:

mikengail

Established Member
This is a great thread, Shaun. So, it sounds like the efficiency of the ENTIRE exhaust system matters, even for the street. I like the Kooks mid-length as well. The real question for me is whether or not my VMP TVS Coyote with 82mm pulley on 91 will benefit and to what general degree with a true 3" exhaust all the way back. Shaun or anyone else care to speculate?

Also, does anybody make a true 3" axle-back? Thanks...

sean04

Established Member
I doubt you will find someone willing to swap from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers and re dyno the same day.

I also doubt my 1 7/8ths headers are slowing me down

AZBOSS

Established Member
Ordered a set of Kooks 1&3/4 mid-lengths today at Shaun's recommendation; bump for good reading on anyone still milling this 'debate' over.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Get us some numbers if you can. I'm going to try and get before and after. I got speed master stepped 1-7/8" headers and pypes off road x.

Last edited:

AZBOSS

Established Member
Sure thing. I have to get an updated classing dyno after I get them installed anyhow.

Car already has a Lethal O/R X and AED tune so the delta may not be as significant as those going from bone stock to headers+tune.

Eng90

Established Member
Guys if any can share his dyno runs and we can compare maybe we can find some difference and then well definitely know the diference by real senario testing..

This topic hasnt be done yet lol... interested to c more feedback

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
So I'm curious, If 1 7/8 is supposedly to big for those that aren't going FI
Then what would Anyone say about MBRP 1.875 Headers for those that aren't going FI? Is it to Big?

nate714

Established Member
So I'm curious, If 1 7/8 is supposedly to big for those that aren't going FI
Then what would Anyone say about MBRP 1.875 Headers for those that aren't going FI? Is it to Big?

plug 7 divide by 8 into a calculator, 1 1/8 is the same as 1.875.

Users who are viewing this thread