• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

LONG TUBES OR MID LENGTH

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by Brandon Ritenour, May 1, 2018.

1. Brandon Ritenour

Brandon Ritenour New Member

just picked up a 04 with 43k on it and only o/r x and cat back no headers.. car is low but not super low should i do mid length to save on tearing stuff up or go long???

2. GodStang

GodStang Well-Known Member Established Member

ARH or Kooks LTs is really the way to go.

3. cj428mach

cj428mach Well-Known Member Established Member

I hope to have some feedback someday. I have a brand new set of JBA Midlengths (JBA calls them long tubes) waiting to go on as soon as my buddy's never ending turbo project gets off my lift.

I went with the JBA for ground clearance, fitment, and no slip fit collectors. I think they'll be the best overall header for what I'm wanting to do.

4. SVTdreamin04

SVTdreamin04 What's a "Termi"??? Premium Member Established Member

I have a set of MAC long tubes on my car. I had them Cera coated again when I had my engine out. They fit well, but the origin coating didn't hold up like I thought it should.

Long tubes sound sick on a Cobra. So go long tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jameeson

Jameeson silver is the fastest color Established Member

I would stick with a 1 5/8" - MAC, Stainless works, Kooks...etc. Should be manageable on clearance and sound better than mid lengths IMO
    I switched just switched to 1 7/8 ARH from 1 5/8 Kooks. I am on H&R race springs and the clearance is noticeably worse...Shocking I know, but did not expect it to be that bad and the car still sits too high for my liking.

1 3/4" might be great too but if your staying around 500-650 HP, should not be that much difference in performance to the 5/8. If I did it over again on stock motor I would have bought the MAC's, have them coated, and call it a day and saved money versus the Kooks.

6. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

My recommendation, as well.

7. thewrubelator

thewrubelator Active Member Established Member

I’ve got SLP LTs on mine. Lowered as well. Here’s a pic of clearance. Hope it helps! IMG_0799.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

8. cj428mach

cj428mach Well-Known Member Established Member

I just installed the JBA midlengths and am happy with the fitment and install. I only had to flatten one primary a little bit on the pass. side as it was touching the Kmember. Another guy said his JBA's hit there until he went aftermarket Kmember. The headers and midpipe actually have more clearance than my stock manifold UPR midpipe setup it replaced. Sure they're 1 5/8" but they definitely flow better than stock. I can see that my boost has dropped over 1+psi in just the little bit I've played with the car.

9. ZEN357

ZEN357 Active Member Established Member

Long tubes are the way to go, but if you want to save yourself from having to replace a bunch of stuff and a lot of work I'd go with the shorty's!!!

10. 04oxfordvert

04oxfordvert Member Established Member

i just installed ARH 1 7/8 and have great clearance. everywhere. still waiting on a few things to finish and start but i would deff recommend arh. the sit bout 1/2" lower then my sub frame connectors.

11. stangfreak

stangfreak Well-Known Member Established Member

Long tubes hands down. No clue why people bother with mid length headers. If you are going to do all that work, do the long tubes.

SVTdreamin04 likes this.