Longer oil change intervals?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You definitely could go longer, Brady, but I have a feeling you'll decide for peace of mind to stick with an annual oil/filter change. Heck, since you have that lift, do all of your cars the same day. May as well use it. Then they're all good until the next year.
You are correct Bob. I'll likely do them all at the same time!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

96dreamer

Established Member
My father in law worked for Schaefers oil for 30 years, just retired last month. He said the "shelf life" is 3-5 years but only cause the additives will start to drop out of suspension after sitting any longer. Once you shake the bottle up it is as good as it was new. If your car is in a temperature controlled environment, ie not developing condensation from temp swings, I would have no reservations on changing every two years.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
As mentioned I would at least change the filter but if it only gets that little mileage it can be hell on it if it’s never spending extended time at operating temp to dry everything out
Well, lots of discussion on here but it’s only guesses.
Plus, if you’re already running Amsoil, why not just buy one of their $20 pre-paid UOA (used oil analysis) kits?
I’d probably not touch it til spring, then take a sample mid stream after you start draining the pan, and send it off for UOA. Based on that report, the lab can give you recommendations. You can ask them on the UOA papers or email, to clarify the current conditions that oil sample has seen and let them know you’re looking for best recommendations for YOUR car using that oil in those conditions.
I’ve actually tested EVERY oil change on my ‘14 GT500 and plan to do it for any new performance vehicle I buy and plan to keep.
$20-25 once a year is nothing and if they report the oil is good, you might get 2 years out of changes and be money ahead.
Good luck and keep that nice collection running strong!
-J

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
For the all the things we all waste money on in our lives, why not the life blood of the engine. It's cheap insurance. The Oil Test kit cost time $ and effort to take it, a person mise well change oil.
Plus allows you a quick check under the car. IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
I recall the some big oil thread on here and people sending their oil in. Even at 5k miles it was good to go

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I recall the some big oil thread on here and people sending their oil in. Even at 5k miles it was good to go

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I remember seeing this as well. I still have a Blackstone lab container for sending in oil.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
For blackstone to matter you need to do it for a while to track changes.
Once a year with the spring or fall change. Once it’s stable and the routine is consistent probably can skip every other year but it’s $20-25/year and is an insight to possible issues if any are developing.
-J

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
We use Blackstone for our sons E46 M3s that are both over 100k miles. In the case of one of them, really did ID rod bearing wear. Replaced the bearings last month, and the proof, of what the oil analysis indicated, was confirmed by the wear on the bearings.

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
So I send oil samples of to Blackstone Labs for wear testing which measures oil degerdation, and contamination. I use to get is checked every year with each oil change (less than a 1000 miles a summer). I Bought my car new in September 2002. After 7 years of almost exactly the same results I started doing it every 2 years. No real change, slight increase in wear contaminants which was expected (metals), but no signs of oil degredation.

With My job I travel to oil refinery machine shops and one thing I learned from product engineers is syntheic oil does not break down anywear near as fast as conventional oil. How do you think manufacturer recomendations have increased the miles a car can go between oil changes with having much tighter engine specifications and clearences.

Synthetic oil is not conventional and doesn't have the same rules.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Depends on the manufacturer. A big part of Synthetic oil is the additives. Each manufacturer uses a unique set of additives and are considered "trade secrets". Following the manufacturer interval recommendations is a good ideal, generally. Blackstone is not privy to each manufacturer's trade secret additives and their specifications. Although very helpful, I would be skeptical that Blackstone is the end all be all to synthetic oil analysis that have complex additives.

Driving your car for say less than 10 miles a day not on the highway, this can actually shorten your oil lifetime. In this case, your engine likely isn't heating up to a temperature high enough to boil off condensation that accumulates in the system, and therefore your oil can break up more quickly and need replacement often. In such cases, it may be a good idea to change your oil sooner than your rated mileage recommendations. Yes, including synthetics.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on the manufacturer. A big part of Synthetic oil is the additives. Each manufacturer uses a unique set of additives and are considered "trade secrets". Following the manufacturer interval recommendations is a good ideal, generally. Blackstone is not privy to each manufacturer's trade secret additives and their specifications. Although very helpful, I would be skeptical that Blackstone is the end all be all to synthetic oil analysis that have complex additives.

Driving your car for say less than 10 miles a day not on the highway, this can actually shorten your oil lifetime. In this case, your engine likely isn't heating up to a temperature high enough to boil off condensation that accumulates in the system, and therefore your oil can break up more quickly and need replacement often. In such cases, it may be a good idea to change your oil sooner than your rated mileage recommendations. Yes, including synthetics.
I would still argue that once you decide on a course of action (meaning pick your oil and change interval) that you can track it thru the used oil analysis and continue or change your routine based on the results.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread